Windows 10: firewall rules to stop circumventing router's DNS configuration

Discus and support firewall rules to stop circumventing router's DNS configuration in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I hope that someone here can help me. My router is configured to point to specific DNS servers and I want to prevent someone from circumventing the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by RizingHigher, Aug 25, 2020.

1. firewall rules to stop circumventing router's DNS configuration

I hope that someone here can help me. My router is configured to point to specific DNS servers and I want to prevent someone from circumventing the router by changing the PC's network adapter properties with other DNS servers. Using Windows Defender on a Windows 10 PC, what firewall rules should I enable?

Thanks for any help with this.

:)

RizingHigher, Aug 25, 2020

2. DNS problems with router

A couple suggestions I have for you:

Update the firmware on the router. Maybe it's getting into a badstate, and a firmware update might fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it, install a custom firmware like dd-wrt. Just make sure its supported on your router first.

Change your DNS to: 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1. Might help.

If none of these work, maybe statically set your DNS on your PS3/PC to the IPs you listed, taking the router out of the lookup procedure.

Last option, is look for a new router.

Hybrid_theory, Aug 25, 2020
  3. Windyandy Win User
    WIN10 Firewall Rules - found 70 different DNS Forwarding Rules? - VIRUS or?

Hello,

while investigating a problem in Windows 10 - which is now solved and solution is unrelated to this question -

I checked the list of Exceptions in the Windows Firewall.

Among the many entries there are

70 different

DNS Forwarding Rule - TCP - xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-0 Private ON Public ON

(or UDP)

Does anyone know how these Rules come about and what purpose they serve?

Could this be some malware redirecting web-addresses?

Or could it be related to the Windows-Insider Program? (no answer on this there).

Regards,

Andreas

Windyandy, Aug 25, 2020
  4. firewall rules to stop circumventing router's DNS configuration

Windows 10 Firewall won't keep my inbound/outbound rules

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience caused to you regarding the Windows Firewall. I will certainly assist you.

I suggest you to restart the Windows firewall service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps for the same.

• Press Windows key + R simultaneously for Run.
    • Type services.msc and then Enter.
    • Right click on the Windows firewall services and then restart the services and check if it helps.
    If the issue still persists then I suggest you to remove and then read the Windows fire wall rule.

Hope this information is helpful. Please get back to us with the information required, if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Aug 25, 2020
Thema:

firewall rules to stop circumventing router's DNS configuration

1. firewall rules to stop circumventing router's DNS configuration - Similar Threads - firewall rules stop

2. Windows bypasses DNS rules on Router

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows bypasses DNS rules on Router: I have a small network that is configured, on Linksys router, to use an internal IP for DNS requests.Dnsmasq running on Raspberry PI. The requests are then redirected through a personal tunnel to a personal server running the DNS service.Everything is working great and I have...
  3. Windows bypasses DNS rules on Router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows bypasses DNS rules on Router: I have a small network that is configured, on Linksys router, to use an internal IP for DNS requests.Dnsmasq running on Raspberry PI. The requests are then redirected through a personal tunnel to a personal server running the DNS service.Everything is working great and I have...
  4. Windows bypasses DNS rules on Router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Firewall rules

Firewall rules: [ATTACH] Does this symbol mean I have blocked outbound traffic for an application? If so why did the app just check for an update and confirm its current version? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-rules/870791a0-328a-4d5c-ad0a-be99f93dfdb0
  6. DNS Client allowed by firewall rule, but still get blocked

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DNS Client allowed by firewall rule, but still get blocked: Hi, First; I am using Binisoft/Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control as frontend for Windows Firewall. My problem is that I allowed DNS Client to local gateway with UDP on port 53, but still for some reason it is being blocked. When opening the log window in Windows...
  7. Firewall Rules

Firewall Rules: Can you setup exceptions for firewall rules? For example, if I have a port blocked inbound for ALL via GPO, can I create an exception to that rule to allow just certain IP addresses to get through the port being blocked? Win 10 ENT in a domain environment....
  8. Suspicious DNS Rule.

Suspicious DNS Rule.: Hello. I was checking Windows Firewall and it came to my attention that, for these past few weeks, I have been seeing a suspicious set of rules that keep reappearing in my inbound rule set. These rules do not go away when I delete them and sometimes more of them appear. I...
  9. WIN10 Firewall Rules - found 70 different DNS Forwarding Rules? - VIRUS or?

WIN10 Firewall Rules - found 70 different DNS Forwarding Rules? - VIRUS or?: Hello, while investigating a problem in Windows 10 - which is now solved and solution is unrelated to this question - I checked the list of Exceptions in the Windows Firewall. Among the many entries there are 70 different DNS Forwarding Rule - TCP -...
  10. Firewall rules

Firewall rules: I accidentally deleted outbound windows firewall rules. Will these reappear? Can this be dangerous? Please help. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/firewall-rules/1f7cbdda-d9e2-435a-96cb-6caef7699b88"