Windows 10: Firewire problems with windows 10 and audio interface

Discus and support Firewire problems with windows 10 and audio interface in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi everyone Im an amateur musician composer (I do have a day job in architecture). I've joined this group because I'm having major problems with my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Fatbob, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Fatbob Win User

Firewire problems with windows 10 and audio interface

Hi everyone
    Im an amateur musician composer (I do have a day job in architecture).
    I've joined this group because I'm having major problems with my music setup after building a new pc for using VSTi virtual instruments / orchestral sample sets. I use a firewire audio interface (motu traveler mk3) but since upgrading my pc it has been crashing whenever I connect the motu to the firewire interface. I understand there is an issue with firewire compatibility with Windows 10. I had some issues with my previous set up, occasional bluesecreen / crashes, having to reset the motu as my default audio interface every so often.
    Windows seems to have a driver which should be compatible with the PCIe firewire card (a Qnine, which is compatible with the Texas Instruments chip standard) but I still have this problem.
    Does anyone have any advice? It's driving me up the wall, I've spent hundreds on this and just want to get back to making music!
    Pleas help
    thanks

:)

Fatbob, Feb 24, 2020
  2. mypalZ Win User

Fire Wire Audio interface

Looking for driver updates for Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 firewire interface and Windows 10, The audio is not working or occasionally plays intermittently. The fire wire connected light on interface is intermittent.

mypalZ, Feb 24, 2020
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Multichannel audio interface in/out routing

Hi Paulo,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

• What is the make and model of your external audio interface?
    • Which routing application are you using?

The configurations of inputs and outputs on any audio interface is dependent on the hardware and its supporting software. Any audio interface with more than 2 inputs and 2 outputs, should ideally give the user an option to map the
    Input and Output Config, according to his interest.

I suggest you to go through the user manual provided by your audio interface's manufacturer to know how to set up the control surface.

If it doesn't explain how to configure, I suggest you to get in touch with the audio interface's manufacturer to know how to configure the same.

Hope it answers.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Feb 24, 2020
  4. Firewire problems with windows 10 and audio interface

Windows auto-resets deafult audio format settings. Firewire bus.

I have an external Audio interface, that supports from 44.1 to 196 khz.

In Sound > Preferences > Properties for the selected device,

I set the default audio format to 44.1, untick applications can take exclusive control*

*because I'm trying to prevent something to revert the changes...

Then magic happens, while watching a youtube vid, or stream over Edge browser, in a gaming session... audio degrades...

I run the trobleshooter amidst the session and it say bad audio format, solution? Audio reverted to default format, only to discover that the new default is 48Khz... which I tried to avoid.

It doesn't ends there, you would guess, why don't just leave it at 48Khz?

Because audio will degrades no matter what, that's why I chose to go the 44.1 Khz route.

At 48 Khz after having run into the same issues and run troubleshooter fix, it bear the same diagnosis, audio format no set to default.

Or worst, generic audio driver... which is windows driver that windows put there, and I can't uninstall; alongside it sits my driver installed

and it's been rock solid for 10+ years on multiple machines, with windows XP, and later win 7 professional.

Motu firewire Ultralite Mk2 is my only audio intereface, no other interfaces are present. This is a professional workstation.

Checking for ghost devices, i.e. duplicated hidden devices. Negative.

My driver is signed Mark of the Unicorn Motu firewire, updated to be win 10 compliant.

HD audio interfaces are inhibited at a BIOS level to not interfere. issue not present.

AMD HDMI HDA audio interfaces are dishabilitated under sound preferences to not interfere also with the ONLY audio interface.

In sound preferences windows sees two preferred formats only: 44.1 and 48, it doesn't see other DA formats than those.

But how does it decides 48 it is a better audio format?

All this degrading is ruining my gaming experiences, causing games to crash, television

streams drops...

Because it's an high end device, it needs a high firewire bus bandwith. It is driven by a PCIE Texas instrument chip

on a 400 firewire port, bearing both power and data, so do not think the degrading issue sits in the format swapping, actually the format swapping could be a temporary windows solution to revert the audio interface back to an operative state from a bad state
    that is

caused by something else, and that might be a firewire bottleneck caused by windows 10, or other unknown power problems.

As I said, 10+ plus of no problems, power settings are set to maximum, so there should not be a SLEEP problem, that power is denied to the interface, it has never been a problem previously, i.e. windows 7 and XP. But unknown system saving power functions
    might cause this.

These are all hypothesis, I'm trying to depict a clear picture of the issue, and might cause.

Constructive thinking might help.

Now, just a single question: IF I would want to tell windows that the DEFAULT format is 44.1 and not 48 Khz, how do I do that???

How does He/She knows it's 48 and not 44.1 or 196???

Jupp Broadshield, Feb 24, 2020
Thema:

Firewire problems with windows 10 and audio interface

1. Firewire problems with windows 10 and audio interface - Similar Threads - Firewire problems audio

2. Problem with firewire camera interface

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with firewire camera interface: I have a Sony DCR-TRV330 camera. The camera's interface is via firewire. I am using Corel's VideoStudio version 2021. I purchased a new computer February 2022 and it came with Windows 11. Prior to that I was using Windows 10. I have never had a problem with Windows 10. It has...
  3. Problem with firewire camera interface

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with firewire camera interface: I have a Sony DCR-TRV330 camera. The camera's interface is via firewire. I am using Corel's VideoStudio version 2021. I purchased a new computer February 2022 and it came with Windows 11. Prior to that I was using Windows 10. I have never had a problem with Windows 10. It has...
  4. Windows 10 usb and firewire audio drivers problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 usb and firewire audio drivers problem: HelloOn my old pc with windows 10 there was any problem with my audio devices. On the new system also with windows 10, the audio drivers on both usb and firewire audio interfaces have major problems .The firewire device isn't working at all , whereas the usb device is working...
  5. Windows 10 usb and firewire audio drivers problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 usb and firewire audio drivers problem: HelloOn my old pc with windows 10 there was any problem with my audio devices. On the new system also with windows 10, the audio drivers on both usb and firewire audio interfaces have major problems .The firewire device isn't working at all , whereas the usb device is working...
  6. Windows 10 usb and firewire audio drivers problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. problems with audio interface

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    problems with audio interface: hi, I have a problem with my audio interface (Behringer u-phoria UMC22), I can only listen to audio, but my mic doesn't work (or the other way around in some occasions). I have tried; - plugging it in another USB port, - removing and reinstalling drivers/ USB controllers,...
  8. Audio USB interface problem

Audio USB interface problem: For some reason my Behringer UMC22 USB interface no longer accepts input from the instrument socket. I can use the microphone input but this produces a latency problem that is not compatible with trying to record music against a backing track All used to work OK until...
  9. Windows 10 Firewire problem

Windows 10 Firewire problem: I bought a Firewire card to operate my M-Audio Profire 610 sound card: https://www.hepsiburada.com/alfais-4680-pci-express-pci-e-firewire-kasa-ici-kart-p-HBV00000321EQ?magaza=Evaletim I have no idea whether this product is for the sound card. I am using the 2004 update...
  10. Audio interface problems

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio interface problems: I just got a apogee one audio interface, and when I start recording in Streamlabs after a while the microphone (shure sm58) stops outputting audio. But the wierd part is that Apogee’s software still shows mic activity. This happens on all applications. submitted by...