Windows 10: Firmware bios update triggered bitlocker encryption

Discus and support Firmware bios update triggered bitlocker encryption in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Good afternoon, my DELL XPS 13 did an automatic firmware BIOS update and now is prompting me for a bitlocker key which I never set up. My device shows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AnnaTDaniel, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Firmware bios update triggered bitlocker encryption

Good afternoon, my DELL XPS 13 did an automatic firmware BIOS update and now is prompting me for a bitlocker key which I never set up. My device shows up in my Microsoft account when I check on my phone but there is no associated bitlocker key when I click manage keys. Nor on any of my other Microsoft accounts. I have had it looked at by lots of IT people and also Dell, who say this is a problem many people are having with the latest update. I’ve got hundreds of files on there that I need to be able to access. I’ve tried all the suggested links to find the key and also done things like a secur

:)

AnnaTDaniel, Aug 26, 2021

2. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Aug 26, 2021
  3. Can't get Bitlocker to encrypt C: drive

Thanks for your reply. I have not looked at the BIOS settings. Have not changed the BIOS since I originally encrypted the drive a couple of years ago, and it worked fine then, but it's worth a look.

I'll take a look at the settings when I'm in my office again and report back.

- - - Updated - - -

OK. Looked at BIOS, enabled Secure Boot and UEFI, computer would not boot. Went back to Legacy Boot and UEFI disabled. Booted.

Went though Bitlocker setup again, this time at final stage, unchecked "Run Bitlocker system check," and encryption started. Tomorrow I'll see if I have created other problems. If so, probably next step is to wipe the hard disk and start over.

Stan

- - - Updated - - -

Final post: What I did above worked. Drive is encrypted. When I restarted, I got the expected blue screen asking for my password. So all is well . . . at least so it seems.

Thanks to those who offered suggestions. I appreciate your input so much!

Stan

sbumgarner, Aug 26, 2021
  4. Firmware bios update triggered bitlocker encryption

Bitlocker Drive Encryption(Not Responding) at 84.5%

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern, as you are trying to encrypt the complete hard drive with BitLocker Drive Encryption and now it’s not responding as well.

We would suggest you to refer this
    BitLocker: Use BitLocker Drive Encryption Tools to manage BitLocker
    article and check manage-bde section, if that helps to make the changes.

However, for further queries we would suggest you to post your query in

TechNet
    forums, where we have experts and support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on BitLocker to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Aug 26, 2021
Thema:

Firmware bios update triggered bitlocker encryption

1. Firmware bios update triggered bitlocker encryption - Similar Threads - Firmware bios update

2. Microsoft reset fTPM Bitlocker encryption message after Dell BIOS update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft reset fTPM Bitlocker encryption message after Dell BIOS update: During my most recent Microsoft Update, the update included an update of the Dell BIOS from 1.12.0 to 1.13.0. After the BIOS update, every time that I reboot my Dell laptop, I get the following message in a blue screen: "Press Y to reset fTPM, if you have Bitlocker or...
  3. Microsoft reset fTPM Bitlocker encryption message after Dell BIOS update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft reset fTPM Bitlocker encryption message after Dell BIOS update: During my most recent Microsoft Update, the update included an update of the Dell BIOS from 1.12.0 to 1.13.0. After the BIOS update, every time that I reboot my Dell laptop, I get the following message in a blue screen: "Press Y to reset fTPM, if you have Bitlocker or...
  4. Bitlocker and updating BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker and updating BIOS: Before I update the BIOS, I'm asking myself about Bitlocker and if it has the Drive locked. Since I am getting nowhere with myself, I thought it best to ask someone abroad, so here I am. My question then is, how can I tell if my Drive is locked and then this. When I click on...
  5. Bitlocker and updating BIOS

Bitlocker and updating BIOS: Before I update the BIOS, I'm asking myself about Bitlocker and if it has the Drive locked. Since I am getting nowhere with myself, I thought it best to ask someone abroad, so here I am. My question then is, how can I tell if my Drive is locked and then this. When I click on...
  6. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encryption: Hello, ive been locked out of my windows account, since i need my old security old email. Which i no longer have acces to, ive contacted microsoft, and they gave me 2 options. Wait 30 days to update security mail and i dont know if they even will do it or clean install which...
  7. Bitlocker Recovery triggered by Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker Recovery triggered by Windows update: My HP Envy laptop did a windows update last night and today it is asking for the Bitlocker Recovery key.I have checked the recovery key stored on my microsoft account and it is not the right one. I don't understand how this can be as this is the only laptop/PC that I have...
  8. Bitlocker Recovery triggered by Windows update

Bitlocker Recovery triggered by Windows update: My HP Envy laptop did a windows update last night and today it is asking for the Bitlocker Recovery key.I have checked the recovery key stored on my microsoft account and it is not the right one. I don't understand how this can be as this is the only laptop/PC that I have...
  9. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker encryption: Hi Everyone,I am trying to change the bitlocker encryption method to AES 256, And i am trying to find the right command that i can execute from command prompt to change this.Could someone suggest on this?RegardsKevin...
  10. BIOS firmware / security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BIOS firmware / security: How do I access my BIOS firmware to determine if my hardware initialization during the booting process, operating systems and programs are secure? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bios-firmware-security/a5ab6872-7d40-4837-ab57-f9b3df346f7f

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ms windows bitlocker drive encryption decryption is currently in progress a firmware update is not possible at this time