Windows 10: First Boot Local Login Then Create Admin Acct??

Discus and support First Boot Local Login Then Create Admin Acct?? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; New computer. I hope I can explain this correctly and someone kindly tell me if my thinking is all wrong. At first boot I want to power up without an... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by phaedruspress, Nov 21, 2018.

1. First Boot Local Login Then Create Admin Acct??

New computer. I hope I can explain this correctly and someone kindly tell me if my thinking is all wrong. At first boot I want to power up without an Internet connection. I don't want MS to start updating right away and I want to set up somethings first. I believe I know at first boot I can create a local login without an MS acct and just log into the computer with just a password. If I do it this way I will be what creating a user name and then the password:

username: test
    password: password

and then I am logged in and I should arrive at the desktop.

Now that is not a local account is it? I don't think it is. And if it isn't I want to then create a local account and then an admin acct.

I will be using the local or standard acct for everyday activities and when I need to say install software or I need elevated privileges I will invoke the admin acct. And I believe I realize in order to create an admin acct it has to be linked to MS and that is when I will connect to the Internet. Do I also need to be connected to the Internet to create a standard or local acct?

So have I got this right. Bottom line is I want to get to the desktop before connecting to the Internet and I believe I can do this by creating a local login account that just requires a password (does the local login account also require a user name?)

And then the goal is to create a standard account that I will be using for day to day activities while connected to the Internet and also create an admin account for elevated privileges.

God bless you if you can understand what I am trying to say : )

:)

phaedruspress, Nov 21, 2018
  2. Bree Win User

Non Admin acct questions

I think you may just be looking in the wrong place. When you sign out the sign in screen and password box will be for the account that has just signed out. It's the same for a restart, the sign in screen will be for the last user that had signed in.

Sign out, then look for a list of names in the lower left corner of the sign in screen. All available accounts should be listed there, click on the one you want to change the sign in screen to be for that user. See the screenshot at step 2 in this tutorial.

Sign in to Windows 10

Correct, the user folder is not created until the first sign in.

3. RB22531 Win User
    Local User Acct Not showing on Login

Bought my wife a new Laptop, came with Win10 Home. So I setup the 1st OOBE acct which was admin privileged. Got it signed into my routers secured SSID. Then got security software installed and configured. Did all the long time updates suffering my ISP
    (or it's leased modem) bumping me off several times. Finally got the machine all ready to go.

So today I went to setup a local limited user acct so my wife won't have to surf the web in an admin acct. After all this is Windows 10 a modern OS surely creating a 2nd Non Admin User acct can't be such an exercise to complete, right ?

Ok the actual creation goes ok in the Control Panel->Users. I sign out of my admin acct expecting to see the new non admin user login option come up on the login screen. Nope, just the Admin acct showing (the one I just signed out of).

So I do a total restart, same thing, no sign of new user acct on login at all. Only the OOBE acct shows.

So I login to the admin acct. I look and no files have been created for the new user, but I think that usually happens the first time the user logs in (?) so that's not a biggy yet.

I open an admin cmd console and run Net User and the new user is showing up in the net user display and it's active and it's local group membership is "users".

So I'm at a loss. Did I get a windows 10 that refuses to let me have a functional 2nd user acct ? Just can't imagine such being this difficult right out of the box.

Appreciate any info as I've searched several places and found nothing to help me

RB22531, Nov 21, 2018
  4. NickTh Win User

First Boot Local Login Then Create Admin Acct??

MS Acct vs Local acct

I think you can take extra mesurments like two-step authentication, but as you said, using an MS Acct needs you to be more carefull than a local one.

NickTh, Nov 21, 2018
Thema:

First Boot Local Login Then Create Admin Acct??

1. First Boot Local Login Then Create Admin Acct?? - Similar Threads - Boot Local Login

2. Creating a Local admin account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a Local admin account: I have a personal laptop that I got new mid way through school and during setting up that laptop I used my school's email for the Microsoft account.I am graduating soon and that email will be deactivated. How do I disconnect my school account and setup a new admin account...
  3. Creating a Local admin account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a Local admin account: I have a personal laptop that I got new mid way through school and during setting up that laptop I used my school's email for the Microsoft account.I am graduating soon and that email will be deactivated. How do I disconnect my school account and setup a new admin account...
  4. Microsoft account conflict with local admin acct account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft account conflict with local admin acct account: Hello,Sincerely, I was forced to login with my Microsoft account after Windows 10 reboot with no prior settings changes.After rebooting and everything was fine, then I got the screen to sign in with my Microsoft account which I tried closing but It kept coming back again.So I...
  5. First time update to Windows 10 deleted Admin acct

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    First time update to Windows 10 deleted Admin acct: Hi. I just finally updated to Win 10 from 7 and now my admin profile is missing. It's the only one I've been using. I don't have passwords to the other profiles, and I don't have a password reset disk for them either. How do I recover the admin profile? Thank you, Cody...
  6. Created local account, but unable to login.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Created local account, but unable to login.: I am trying to create a local account on my Win10 Pro machine. I have gone through the various steps and have an account created, but I have no option to login to that account. I can see the user in Local Users and Groups (not disabled), but the name does NOT appear on the...
  7. Admin acct

in Windows 10 Customization
    Admin acct: I am admin. I read that I should also have a standard user acct for everyday work. How do I set that up? Then how will I know which acct I'm in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/admin-acct/3fceec95-1516-406c-bade-b6610f105070
  8. No ability to create Local Workstation Admin after Office 365 Admin login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    No ability to create Local Workstation Admin after Office 365 Admin login: All of our company computers are endpoints. None are on a domain. In the past, I initiated all computers with a local Admin account on the workstation and added users (usually one user on a notebook). With the purchase of a new notebook, I used my Microsoft Office 365...
  9. How To Blow Away Local Admin Acct Password?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How To Blow Away Local Admin Acct Password?: So, I just got my laptop back from ASUS after a couple of weeks, and believe it or not, I can't remember the Local Admin Password. No trouble with my Stnd Admin Pswd. I've tried every pswd permutation I can think of, and NOTHING works. HEP ME! 48575
  10. MS Acct vs Local acct

in Windows 10 Support
    MS Acct vs Local acct: I see posts referencing local account and can't wrap my head around why users are opting for a local acct. *Huh I have several machines running on a home network, all with an MS account, and all log in without a password. What's not to like *Huh Why is a local...