Windows 10: First look at the Windows Package Manager

Discus and support First look at the Windows Package Manager in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released a preview of the Windows Package Manager today during the virtual Build 2020 conference. Windows administrators may use it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 19, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

First look at the Windows Package Manager

Microsoft released a preview of the Windows Package Manager today during the virtual Build 2020 conference. Windows administrators may use it to install first-party and third-party programs such as 7-Zip, KeePass, Arduino IDE, or Discord.

The package manager, similar to package managers on Linux systems, enables users to search for, download, install, and uninstall programs and packages for the Windows operating system. Its main purpose is to automate the installation, updating and configuration of software on Windows.

Windows Package Manager works similar to package managers on Linux or third-party Windows programs such as Chocolatey. Microsoft decided to release it as open source; interested users can check out the GitHub repository for documentation and download of the preview version of the Package Manager.

The package manager requires at least Windows 10 version 1709 and may be installed either from the Microsoft Store (requires a Windows 10 Insider build and sending an invite email for now), or manually from GitHub.

Once installed, open a Windows Terminal, PowerShell or Command Prompt instance to start using it. The command is winget and you may want to run it without any parameter to display the available commands and help first.

First look at the Windows Package Manager winget.png

The main commands available at the time are:

• winget install // to install a program.
    • winget show // displays information about the specified application.
    • winget source // to mange sources.
    • winget search // to list all programs or specific ones.
    • winget hash // to hash installer files.
    • winget validate // to validate manifest files.

The command winget search displays the list of programs that Windows Package Manager supports currently. A good selection of popular programs as well as developer tools is supported currently. Programs like vim, Whatsapp, GIMP, VLC, Steam, or Sublime Text can be installed using the Package Manager.

First look at the Windows Package Manager windows-package-manager-preview.png

Please note that uninstall functionality is not supported at this point in time. Microsoft plans to integrate the feature as well as list and update functionality soon into the program.

The command winget install "program name" downloads the selected package and runs its installer. Programs seem to be downloaded from third-party sites (the developer site) and not from a repository that Microsoft maintains.

The file location is displayed by winget. The package manager supports exe, msi, and msix installers currently.

First look at the Windows Package Manager winget-install.png

Winget may be run without elevated rights. The installation of some programs may require elevation, however and prompts will be displayed if that is required.

The command winget show "package name" displays information about the program; this may include links to the homepage and license, download URL, SHA256 hash, and type of installer.

First look at the Windows Package Manager winget-show.png

Software companies and developers may wonder whether they may submit their programs to the Windows Package Manager so that they are included. Microsoft has information on the process on the Docs website. Basically, what developers need to do is create a package manifest that provides information about the application before they submit the manifest to the Windows Package Manager repository on GitHub.

Scripting is supported; admins may create batch or powershell scripts to install multiple applications at once, e.g.

@Echo off
    Echo Install Powertoys and Terminal
    REM Powertoys
    winget install Microsoft.Powertoys
    if %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 Echo Powertoys installed successfully.
    REM Terminal
    winget install Microsoft.WindowsTerminal
    if %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 Echo Terminal installed successfully. %ERRORLEVEL%
    Closing Words

Windows Package Manager could become an essential tool in the arsenal of Windows system administrators and also home users. It depends on a number of factors including if and how it is going to be integrated into Windows natively, the availability of packages, and functionality.

Now You: What is your take on the Windows Package Manager?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post First look at the Windows Package Manager appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 19, 2020

2. Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, May 19, 2020
  3. addition of speech package

Hi Rigil,

To better assist you with the issue you're having with adding a speech package, we'd like to know if your Wi-Fi network connection is set to metered. If so, we suggest that you turn it off with the steps below:

• Click Start, then Settings.
    • Select Network & Internet.
    • Go to Wi-Fi, then click Manage known networks.
    • Select the Wi-Fi network, then click Properties.
    • Turn off Set as metered connection.

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Angela Pun, May 19, 2020
  4. csatennis Win User

Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

I have been trying to fix this for months. Your solution Method 1 seemed to work. THANK YOU!!!!

csatennis, May 19, 2020
Thema:

1. First look at the Windows Package Manager - Similar Threads - Package Manager

2. Visual Studios 22 Nuget Package Manager: I get a System.IO.DirectoryNoFoundException Error...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Visual Studios 22 Nuget Package Manager: I get a System.IO.DirectoryNoFoundException Error...: Since this doesn't seem to be the forum to get the answer, please navigate me to the right one. Google doesn't help.System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path...
  3. Visual Studios 22 Nuget Package Manager: I get a System.IO.DirectoryNoFoundException Error...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Visual Studios 22 Nuget Package Manager: I get a System.IO.DirectoryNoFoundException Error...: Since this doesn't seem to be the forum to get the answer, please navigate me to the right one. Google doesn't help.System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path...
  4. Erorr using NPM package manager: EPERM: operation not permitted, rmdir.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Erorr using NPM package manager: EPERM: operation not permitted, rmdir.: When using the NPM package manager, I encountered the "EPERM: operation not permitted, rmdir" error. This error occurs in different scenarios when using NPM, such as when it needs to delete temporary files.Scenario 1: Installing/Uninstalling NPM packages.```bashnpm uninstall...
  5. Erorr using NPM package manager: EPERM: operation not permitted, rmdir.

Erorr using NPM package manager: EPERM: operation not permitted, rmdir.: When using the NPM package manager, I encountered the "EPERM: operation not permitted, rmdir" error. This error occurs in different scenarios when using NPM, such as when it needs to delete temporary files.Scenario 1: Installing/Uninstalling NPM packages.```bashnpm uninstall...
  6. Erorrs with permissions using NPM package manager: EPERM: operation not permitted, rmdir.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Erorrs with permissions using NPM package manager: EPERM: operation not permitted, rmdir.: When using the NPM package manager, I encountered the "EPERM: operation not permitted, rmdir" error. This error occurs in different scenarios when using NPM, such as when it needs to delete temporary files.Scenario 1: Installing/Uninstalling NPM packages.```bashnpm uninstall...
  7. Erorrs with permissions using NPM package manager: EPERM: operation not permitted, rmdir.

Erorrs with permissions using NPM package manager: EPERM: operation not permitted, rmdir.: When using the NPM package manager, I encountered the "EPERM: operation not permitted, rmdir" error. This error occurs in different scenarios when using NPM, such as when it needs to delete temporary files.Scenario 1: Installing/Uninstalling NPM packages.```bashnpm uninstall...
  8. Windows service Package manager, Critic error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows service Package manager, Critic error: HelloI have a continuous error related to Windows service Package Manager I try this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-package-manager-error-message-with/459d7051-a0da-4f0b-a3aa-e91fa36f496b that seems related, but didn't work. Any help is...
  9. Windows service Package manager, Critic error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows service Package manager, Critic error: HelloI have a continuous error related to Windows service Package Manager I try this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-package-manager-error-message-with/459d7051-a0da-4f0b-a3aa-e91fa36f496b that seems related, but didn't work. Any help is...
  10. Windows service Package manager, Critic error