Windows 10: First Reviews of new ARM Always Connected PCs Decidedly Mixed

Discus and support First Reviews of new ARM Always Connected PCs Decidedly Mixed in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Laptop Magazine and The Verge have come out with the first reviews of the new generation of Always Connected ARM-based PCs and they're strongly mixed.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by EdTittel, Mar 20, 2018.

1. EdTittel Win User

First Reviews of new ARM Always Connected PCs Decidedly Mixed

Laptop Magazine and The Verge have come out with the first reviews of the new generation of Always Connected ARM-based PCs and they're strongly mixed. Indeed, they do have amazing battery life. But both sources mention that Win32 apps -- most notably, Chrome, but also web-wrapper or Electron-based apps such as Slack -- have noticeable performance issues. Adjectives like "laggy" (Laptop Mag) and "abysmal and frustrating" (The Verge) are used to describe how such things behave at runtime on the HP Envy x2 (Laptop Mag) and the Asus NovaGo (The Verge). Sigh.

To read more: check any of these items:
    1. onMSFT "First reviews for Windows 10 on ARM PCs are out, and they're not great" 3/21/2018
    2. Laptop Magazine "HP Envy X2 (Qualcomm) Review" 3/19/2018
    3. The Verge "Always-connected Windows laptops show promise but still need work" 3/20/2018

--Ed--

[Note Added 10 mins later]
    Paul Thurrott is also getting the Envy X2 but hasn't received it yet. He'll be reviewing it later, but wrote a "Preview" for Thurrott.com today: "HP Envy x2 (Qualcomm) Preview: Here Comes the Future."
    [Note Added 1 day later]
    Avram Piltch of Laptop Magazine/Tom's Guide concurs with the growing and still less-than-enthusiastic consensus on these devices in his review of the HP Envy x2 and the Asus NovaGo: Why I'm Waiting for the Next Generation of Windows ARM Laptops
    [Note Added 2 days later]
    Thurrott has started publishing little "Review Check-Ins" to document his ongoing experiences with the HP Envy X2. Here's what's out there so far: Performance and App Compatibility. Coming "soon": app performance and cellular connectivity.

:)

EdTittel, Mar 20, 2018
  2. Rohn007 Win User
    Rohn007, Mar 20, 2018
  3. ++ the future of Microsoft Lumia mobile phones ++

Sorry to say, but I still do not understand! If you put
    always connected laptops
    to this equation, which of those are ARM based, so MS still must maintain ARM version of Windows. So where is the win abandoning Windows phones?

Additional to that, MS still makes investments on
    IoT market.
    So I ask again where, is the benefit abandoning Windows phones?

But, Okay MS does not earn any thing on phone market and Okay MS pushing us to choose from the only two option left for us. I think MS still need to make Visual Studio and .Net echo system run flawless on both system. It is not enough to ship MS products
    on them!

+++ Window Phone === Simplicity +++ Easiest phone development ever +++

Scherman Laszlo, Mar 20, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

OOPS! Missing some from Thurrott's ongoing series of Review Check-ins from yesterday: Battery Life and First Impressions.

After reading all this stuff so far, any inclination I might have had to spend my own $$$ for a 'try-it-out myself' experience has pretty much evaporated.

The HowToGeek has also weighed in on this platform in a 3/23/18 story entitled Windows on ARM Doesn't Make Any Sense (Yet)
    Sigh.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 22, 2018
  5. Like a lot of tech, they will have advantages and disadvantages. Trade offs will be made in one area to gain in another. My Raspberry Pi's use ARM processors, they aren't Snapdragons though unfortunately. Even on my quad core version you need a lot of patience when web browsing. It is what it is though, I didn't buy it to be my daily user PC. I bought it for the other things it can do that I can't do on my PC. My wife would likely be fine with one of these Arm always connected devices. As long as Facebook loaded in a reasonable time. *Wink That's about all she uses her laptop for. I don't see myself using one though.

alphanumeric, Mar 23, 2018
  6. lx07 Win User
  7. Interesting reading thanks Ed, although I only read the link for the HP Envy, probably because I've just got myself an HP Envy, of course not one that has phone capabilities and it doesn't have a removable keyboard although it is a convertible one so I can use it as a tablet and I have an HP Pen with it. *Smile

Joan Archer, Mar 24, 2018
  8. First Reviews of new ARM Always Connected PCs Decidedly Mixed

The thing that really disgusted me about the HP PC is that, for nearly $1000, I would personally expect a laptop that "screamed", not one with "sluggish performance"! The latter is what I would expect from a $200 entry-level notebook.

Mark Phelps, Mar 24, 2018
  9. The HP Envy x2, if that's the one your referring to, is a tablet, not a laptop. It looks to me, like your paying for thin, light, and long battery life. That's not always synonymous with performance. I'm not defending it, just my observation. And since its Arm powered and has to use emulation for 32 bit programs, that's going to slow things down. I see "not for power users" mentioned so that about sums it up. Just my 2 cents.

alphanumeric, Mar 24, 2018
  10. EdTittel Win User
    Here's another round-up from TechRadar that echoes the "great battery life, questionable performance" theme that's emerging in the press coverage and reviews on the current generation of SnapDragon Always Connected Win10 PCs. I had a chance to play with the Lenovo, HP and Asus versions at the MVP Summit. For email, casual web surfing, and media consumption, these machines are acceptable but can be slow. I'm thinking now that things will get interesting when -- as other posters have observed on this thread and elsewhere -- newer, faster SnapDragon chips with more cores that are available now, but weren't available when these machines were built show up in the next generation of these devices. They may not be total game-changers, but they make make it more fun to play on these machines. We'll see!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 25, 2018
  11. Jack07 Win User
    Jack07, Mar 25, 2018
  12. At one time I was wishing Windows on Arm would run on my raspberry Pi. I was actually more hoping 10 Mobile would be ported to run on a Pi. But after reading the above reviews the phrase "be careful what you wish for" comes to mind. *Wink

For me personally, the trade off of performance for extra battery life doesn't really factor into it. Not for my use anyway, I'm retired with simple needs. Even when I use my laptop, its almost always plugged in. The only time I ever run it on battery for an extended time is if we have a power failure. My Internet would be off anyway? I don't own a smart phone and couldn't afford 4G or 5G for a tablet, just isn't going to happen with my current financial situation.

alphanumeric, Mar 25, 2018
  13. xips Win User

14. lx07 Win User
    I thought you could already run Windows on a Pi.

I've not tried so perhaps (probably) I'm wrong but this says you can: Developer installs full Windows 10 ARM on a Raspberry Pi 3

I'd like to do it - perhaps I could run a (something or other) server. Not sure what exactly yet but it would be fun to try.

15. You can officially run Windows 10 IoT on a Pi. It bears very little resemblance to any desktop version of Windows 10. Very very striped down development platform. Best I can describe it is just a shell really. No store, no start menu, no apps other than Edge. Not something I'm interested in. It's just to much work to get anywhere with it. I have no Visual Studio skills etc.

It will be interesting to see how that developer makes out. Something tells me Microsoft won't be too happy if it ends up freely available on the internat. It is their intellectual property.

EDIT: There are lots of Linux server images for the Pi, no real need to do a Windows server on one. I'm more interested in running desktop / mobile Windows on it.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. First Reviews of new ARM Always Connected PCs Decidedly Mixed - Similar Threads - Reviews ARM Always

2. SSD Temp Mixed Reviews

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD Temp Mixed Reviews: One program--CrystalDisk--says my SSD temp is 30 Celsius, but another program--Samsung Magician--says that my temp is 35 Celsius. Which one do I trust? [img] [img] 164095
  3. Connecting PCs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting PCs: I have two computers both running Windows 10 Pro 64bit. They are both on the same broadband router Network which connects with G4 as we have no land-line. I want to connect the computers but when I try I am asked for a username and password. I have never used a password for...
  4. Firefox Beta for Windows 10 Always Connected PCs Now Available

in Windows 10 News
    Firefox Beta for Windows 10 Always Connected PCs Now Available: Whether it’s checking the weather forecast or movie times, you can always count on the web to give you the information you’re seeking. Your choice of operating system and computer shouldn’t change your online experience. As part of Mozilla’s mission, we built Firefox as a...
  5. New Firefox Beta for Windows 10 ARM64 Always Connected PCs

in Windows 10 News
    New Firefox Beta for Windows 10 ARM64 Always Connected PCs: Whether it’s checking the weather forecast or movie times, you can always count on the web to give you the information you’re seeking. Your choice of operating system and computer shouldn’t change your online experience. As part of Mozilla’s mission, we built Firefox as a...
  6. Qualcomm announces Snapdragon 850 for Always Connected Windows 10 PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Qualcomm announces Snapdragon 850 for Always Connected Windows 10 PCs: The previous generation Always Connected PCs were powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 835 processor, and as expected the next-generation lineup will be powered by the all-new chipset, Snapdragon 850. Today at Computex, Qualcomm announced the Snapdragon 850 Mobile Compute...
  7. New HP and ASUS Always Connected PCs enable a new culture of work

in Windows 10 News
    New HP and ASUS Always Connected PCs enable a new culture of work: New devices from HP and ASUS are instantly on, always connected with incredible battery life Throughout the history of personal computing, a steady wave of progress has changed how we interact with technology in both our work and personal lives. Microsoft and our partners...
  8. CES 2018 - New Intel Powered Always Connected PCs

in Windows 10 News
    CES 2018 - New Intel Powered Always Connected PCs: In an increasingly connected mobile world, there is an expectation that our PCs should be always-connected and always-on. This week at 2018 CES, our partners have announced a number of exciting new Intel® Core™ processor- and Intel® XMMTM modem-powered always-connected PCs:...
  9. Computex 2017: Always-Connected PCs, Mixed Reality, and IoT

in Windows 10 News
    Computex 2017: Always-Connected PCs, Mixed Reality, and IoT: Computex, Asia’s largest IT trade show, is always an exciting event for Microsoft. We see the OEM and ODM ecosystem come together with over 40,000 visitors and 1,600 exhibitors on new technologies and business relationships. This year, it is inspiring to launch partners’...
  10. ARM-Based Windows 10 Portable PCs!? Hell Yes!

in Windows 10 News
    ARM-Based Windows 10 Portable PCs!? Hell Yes!: In an unexpected move, Microsoft tonight announced a major new partnership with Qualcomm to port Windows 10 to ARM. No, not Windows 10 Mobile. Real Windows 10 on a new generation of portable PCs. “What we’re really providing here is choice,” Microsoft executive vice...