Windows 10: First system image backup: is this right?

Discus and support First system image backup: is this right? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have just upgraded and am backing up my system image to an external drive. I've noticed that the path showing is Control Panel> All Control Panel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by chipwood, Mar 10, 2016.

1. chipwood Win User

First system image backup: is this right?

I have just upgraded and am backing up my system image to an external drive. I've noticed that the path showing is
    Control Panel> All Control Panel Items> Backup and Restore (Windows 7). I don't understand that path, when I'm dealing with Windows 10. The path is what Windows Backup set without any action from me.

Am I doing something wrong?

:)

chipwood, Mar 10, 2016

2. system image backup

Hi,

There are several reasons why your back up is failing in Windows 10. In some cases, it can be due to an existing back up to one of the hard drive that causes conflict when you create a new one. For us to better assist you, we would like to ask for additional
    information. Please answer the following:

• What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Have you checked if there's an existing system image that was already created before?
    • Have you tried formatting the hard drive where you the system image to be stored?

We hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Cha, Mar 10, 2016
  3. system image backup

If you use File History be sure to have another backup method, like to the cloud using Google Drive which has a new Backup feature that gives you 15gb free and lets you designate the User folders you want sync'd in real time, and periodically drag your
    User folders to an external or another hard drive. Keep a System Image backup using a flexible 3rd party app like free Macrium Backing up files and folders - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase How to create a disk image
    If WIndows ever becomes irreparable boot the Rescue media to reimage C with the stored image: Rescue a system with the Windows PE environment Finally be sure to have a great install of Windows 10 that's
    worth backing up. YOu only need to do it once. This link compiles the best possible install that will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given: Clean Install Windows 10

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 10, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

That's OK. You are fine. You didn't do anything wrong.
    There is another way to do the same thing..............
    Control Panel > File History.
    Both Backup and Restore (Windows 7) and File History lead you to the same place...... to run system Image backup.

By the way, you system image backup is store in the ext hdd under WindowsImageBackup folder.

First system image backup: is this right? [​IMG]

davidhk, Mar 10, 2016
  5. chipwood Win User
    Thanks for reassurance and info. *Smile

chipwood, Mar 10, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    By the way, soon you will have people recommending 3rd party programs such as Mcrium or Acronis.
    They have better features to offer.
    If you like, give them a go.

davidhk, Mar 10, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    You are welcome.
    If you do not have further questions, please mark your thread as Solved.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Mar 10, 2016
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

It is easy to make an image with Windows - it is another matter if you want to recover from that image. Therefore I recommend to test the recovery. Nothing is worse than an image that does not work in times of need. And Windows images often do not work. That's why most of us go with free Macrium or alike. Those are rock solid.

9. davidhk Win User
    You can swear by Macrium all you want, but don't you ever question whether the built-in image backup will work or not.

I have been using it since first day of Windows 7. I have been using it to restore my system many times. It NEVER fails me.

Don't knock something you don't use.

davidhk, Mar 10, 2016
  10. WHS
    whs Win User
    I tried to use Windows imaging many times. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it did not. I can't have that. Maybe I am to dumb and it was user error. But the end result was that I could not recover.

11. davidhk Win User
    Well, that's your problem with the built-in program
    That does not mean it happens to everyone else.
    You are writing it off just because it does not perform the way you want. You can do that privately, but don't do that in public.
    That is not fair, not to mention influencing others with biased opinion.

davidhk, Mar 10, 2016
  12. WHS
    whs Win User
    This is a useless discussion. I recommend you reread what I first posted. Just a caution based on my own experience.

13. davidhk Win User

quote from post #6: It is easy to make an image with Windows - it is another matter if you want to recover from that image
    quote from post #6 : Nothing is worse than an image that does not work in times of need
    quote from post #6 : And Windows images often do not work.

Where did post #6 said it came from your own experience ?
    You put a blanket over it and condemned it.
    That's why I replied back.

Yes It is a useless discussion. That I agree.
    You have already declared it a piece of useless crap. There is nothing left to discuss.

davidhk, Mar 10, 2016
  14. chipwood Win User
    So how does one test if an image backup will work? My computer was made by Dell early in 2010 and came with an operating system disk.

chipwood, Mar 10, 2016
  15. davidhk Win User
    Just run it.
    Plug in your ext hdd > Start button > Settings > Update & Security >left side, click Recovery > right side, under Advanced Startup, click Restart Now > Troubleshoot >Advanced Options > select System Image Recovery > follow the prompts .....

davidhk, Mar 10, 2016
Thema:

1. First system image backup: is this right? - Similar Threads - system image backup

2. Windows System Image backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows System Image backup: I want to create a System Image backup of my PC running Windows 10. The hard disk has no partitions, its a single drive with 57 GB used. I am planning to use a 1 Tb external HDD for the backupWill my external HDD get formatted during the backup process?How much space...
  3. System image backup

System image backup: I have a msi laptop that don't have a dvd drive, when i use my system image backup it keeps asking me to create a system repair disk but i can't create becuse i don't have a dvd drive so how do i get rid of this problem plz help !! Thank you...
  4. System image backup

System image backup: I have a windows 10 pro PC and I recently replaced my main 2TB HD with a 3TB using GPT and cloned my drive with no problem, I also installed a 3TB drive and formatted it using GPT as a way of doing a system image, which I had previously gone to a 2TB HD. Since this change...
  5. system image backup

system image backup: Trying to back up my hard drive as a "system image". I see the option in the videos, but when I click on Settings, Backup, the "system image" option is not there. It just says "save these files" and lists a bunch of data files. How to create a system image? The Microsoft...
  6. System image backup question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System image backup question: Hello, I bought an external 1TB drive, to make a system image backup (which is in progress as we speak). The backup should be somewhat around 350 GB. Can I use the remaining space for my purposes, or will that be a problem when I eventually will have to restore the backup?...
  7. System image backup

System image backup: I am trying to backup system image onto SD card formatted to NTFS but windows does not consider this as suitable. Can anyone assist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-backup/9057d22e-bbcf-4007-bee5-9891199b3084
  8. Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?

Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?: When i first installed Windows 10, and had all the drivers running, and minimal apps installed, i created a system image backup at that point, so if one day something goes wrong, and all else fails, i can restore to that point in time. This is backed up on an HDD, and we...
  9. system image backup failed

system image backup failed: I had a successful image backup a year ago. However, recently, when I tried to do image backup, it failed. Please see the attached file. It happened on version 1809. I checked history service and volume shadow copy service and both of them were on automatic and had started. I...
  10. System image backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System image backup: Hey guys. Sorry if this ain't the proper section. I'm trying to back up a system image on windows 10 but every time it gives me an error saying the backup failed and that "The specific backup storage location has the shadow copy on another volume." (0x80780038)." I've looked...