Windows 10: first time user of WD backup program (inquiry)

Discus and support first time user of WD backup program (inquiry) in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have just setup my external HDD. I haven't yet decided to start the backup process yet.. can I backup entire OS? and instructions said it will create... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Pathfinder, Sep 28, 2016.

1. first time user of WD backup program (inquiry)

I have just setup my external HDD. I haven't yet decided to start the backup process yet.. can I backup entire OS? and instructions said it will create a system image too, I don't have any disks setup yet. I want to make sure everything goes without a hitch before initialize the backup*Tongue

and this, its set for hourly backup..should I change that? I don't want to leave it plugged in while pc is in sleepmode or shutdown mode

first time user of WD backup program (inquiry) [​IMG]

:)

Pathfinder, Sep 28, 2016

2. Win 10 Oem pre-installed inaccessible_boot_device

You need to create a Recovery CD / DVD to perform the "Restore" to another drive.

You can also install EaseUS and create a "Disk and Partition" backup of all the partition on the drive.

Todo Backup Home V9.1 Simple and affordable file backup software for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/vista - EaseUS Todo Backup Home

User friendly interface simplifies the backup process.

Free version: Best free backup software for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/vista - EaseUS Todo Backup Free

User's Guide: http://www.todo-backup.com/download/docs/User_Guide.pdf

Note: Install Todo and then create an "Emergency Disk" (WinPE option is the better of the two choices), see page 58 of the user's guide) before you start creating your first image backup.

Install Western Digital's "Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows" on one of your drives that has Windows installed and is bootable.

Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support

Connect your spare WD Blue and use "Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows" / Write Zeros (Quick / Front and end of drive). This will erase the Disk Signature on the WD Blue.

Now use Windows 'Disk Management' to "Initialize" the WD Blue.

Restore the image backup to the WD Blue, electing not to keep the disk signature if propted or you see a check box option.

Try the WD Blue to see if the problem still exist.

J W Stuart, Sep 28, 2016
  3. I have windows 10---my backup drive, a WD "My Book Live" drive can not communicate with my WD Shareware program to create backups.

My backup drive, a WD "My Book Live" drive can not communicate with my WD Shareware program to create backups. I can see the drive with win explorer and through my browser. I have a password on the drive. Help

Mikethekey, Sep 28, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

first time user of WD backup program (inquiry)

The WD backup software is probably still based on Acronis backup software? If so, I personally don't recommend it and suggest Macrium Reflect Free instead.

Steve C, Sep 29, 2016
  5. cheers, well too late for me i guess? i still am thinking about trying macrium sometime down the road. thx for reply

Pathfinder, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

first time user of WD backup program (inquiry)

1. first time user of WD backup program (inquiry) - Similar Threads - user backup program

2. WD Backup installer fails to recognise WD drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WD Backup installer fails to recognise WD drive: I just bought a My Passport. I cannot get the WD Backup to install. During the process I get a message that says it cannot see a target drive. The drive is visible in windows 10 explorer and is recognised by Windows Backup. Looking forward to your help. Thanks...
  3. Apps/programs vanish after first time use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps/programs vanish after first time use: Several apps in windows 10, such as musicbee and freda go through the install process, i select run after install and put shortcut on desktop. Everything works fine to that point. However, the shortcut is never created and when i close the app after first use, it does not...
  4. Installing WD backup on Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing WD backup on Windows 10.: I just bought a My Passport. I cannot get the WD Backup to install. During the process I get a message that says it cannot see a target drive. Any suggestions before I take it back to Best Buy for a refund?...
  5. WD My Passport Ultra - Not working for backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WD My Passport Ultra - Not working for backup: My windows 10 computer is recognizing this device for saving/opening files but will not recognize it as a device for backup. I am also unable to open the WD Backup app to run scheduled backups through that; I have used this device and app on this windows 10 computer but it...
  6. Starting computer for first time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Starting computer for first time: Bought a Dell Inspiron 13 5000 series 2 with Windows 10. Right out of the box, Cortana led me through selecting a country and even getting connected to my wifi. Then she said, we are going to check for updates - found updates - downloading updates - restarting computer....
  7. WD notification icon + WD User Interface ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WD notification icon + WD User Interface ?: I am using Windows Defender. In task manager, I see both of these processes running. the two of them are also in startup. Is this normal? can and should I disable one of them in startup? 62204
  8. Need to automatically backup WD My CLoud to WD My Book

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need to automatically backup WD My CLoud to WD My Book: I have a 2TB WD My Cloud NAS and a 3 TB WD My Book USB drive. I want to back up the NAS to the USB drive automatically but the software that comes with the My Cloud won't do that. Does anyone know of a free or cheap program that will copy the contents of the NAS to the USB...
  9. inquiry on how many times to backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    inquiry on how many times to backup: for now, I have backup plan to backup daily, Monday through Friday. or should I go with a monthly backup plan?*Tongue 65990
  10. inquiry on screen resolution changer program?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    inquiry on screen resolution changer program?: i have found a screen resolution changer and was wondering what, if any pitfalls are associated with a program that changes resolution to higher setting? mine is 1366x768 default 94660