Windows 10: first time user of WD backup program (inquiry)

Discus and support first time user of WD backup program (inquiry) in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have just setup my external HDD. I haven't yet decided to start the backup process yet.. can I backup entire OS? and instructions said it will create... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Pathfinder, Sep 28, 2016.

1. first time user of WD backup program (inquiry)

I have just setup my external HDD. I haven't yet decided to start the backup process yet.. can I backup entire OS? and instructions said it will create a system image too, I don't have any disks setup yet. I want to make sure everything goes without a hitch before initialize the backup*Tongue

and this, its set for hourly backup..should I change that? I don't want to leave it plugged in while pc is in sleepmode or shutdown mode

first time user of WD backup program (inquiry) [​IMG]

:)

Pathfinder, Sep 28, 2016

2. Win 10 Oem pre-installed inaccessible_boot_device

You need to create a Recovery CD / DVD to perform the "Restore" to another drive.

You can also install EaseUS and create a "Disk and Partition" backup of all the partition on the drive.

Todo Backup Home V9.1 Simple and affordable file backup software for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/vista - EaseUS Todo Backup Home

User friendly interface simplifies the backup process.

Free version: Best free backup software for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/vista - EaseUS Todo Backup Free

User's Guide: http://www.todo-backup.com/download/docs/User_Guide.pdf

Note: Install Todo and then create an "Emergency Disk" (WinPE option is the better of the two choices), see page 58 of the user's guide) before you start creating your first image backup.

Install Western Digital's "Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows" on one of your drives that has Windows installed and is bootable.

Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support

Connect your spare WD Blue and use "Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows" / Write Zeros (Quick / Front and end of drive). This will erase the Disk Signature on the WD Blue.

Now use Windows 'Disk Management' to "Initialize" the WD Blue.

Restore the image backup to the WD Blue, electing not to keep the disk signature if propted or you see a check box option.

Try the WD Blue to see if the problem still exist.

J W Stuart, Sep 28, 2016
  3. I have windows 10---my backup drive, a WD "My Book Live" drive can not communicate with my WD Shareware program to create backups.

My backup drive, a WD "My Book Live" drive can not communicate with my WD Shareware program to create backups. I can see the drive with win explorer and through my browser. I have a password on the drive. Help

Mikethekey, Sep 28, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

first time user of WD backup program (inquiry)

The WD backup software is probably still based on Acronis backup software? If so, I personally don't recommend it and suggest Macrium Reflect Free instead.

Steve C, Sep 29, 2016
  5. cheers, well too late for me i guess? i still am thinking about trying macrium sometime down the road. thx for reply

Pathfinder, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

first time user of WD backup program (inquiry)

1. first time user of WD backup program (inquiry) - Similar Threads - user backup program

2. Existing OneDrive user, first time using OneDrive for automatic backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Existing OneDrive user, first time using OneDrive for automatic backups: Hi,I've been using OneDrive sometimes, purely as a method of sharing web links to other users. For backups I have been using File History to another internal disk, but encountered an error where I could not clean up old data, so followed a procedure to disable it, then wipe...
  3. Existing OneDrive user, first time using OneDrive for automatic backups

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Existing OneDrive user, first time using OneDrive for automatic backups: Hi,I've been using OneDrive sometimes, purely as a method of sharing web links to other users. For backups I have been using File History to another internal disk, but encountered an error where I could not clean up old data, so followed a procedure to disable it, then wipe...
  4. Mac user switching to Windows for the first time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mac user switching to Windows for the first time: Hey I’m switching to windows for the first time! Need something I can game and pretty much do everything on without spending 3000$ so I’m getting a decent spec’d gaming laptop. How can I make my windows pc as user friendly as possible any extensions, programs or tips? Also...
  5. HUP respone time inquiry

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    HUP respone time inquiry: I just got a new computer. I want to download the latest version of Microsoft Office through the Home Use Program. I downloaded from the HUP in 2016. I entered my work email this morning, but no response to my work email yet. How long does it usually take the HUP to...
  6. User EAP-TLS authentication for the first time

in Windows 10 Customization
    User EAP-TLS authentication for the first time: Hi community, we are trying to develop 802.1X authentication to the network (LAN and WLAN) using the native Windows supplicant. The recommendation for the internal security department is to use certificates from the authentication. Second requirement is to have a user...
  7. WD Backup installer fails to recognise WD drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WD Backup installer fails to recognise WD drive: I just bought a My Passport. I cannot get the WD Backup to install. During the process I get a message that says it cannot see a target drive. The drive is visible in windows 10 explorer and is recognised by Windows Backup. Looking forward to your help. Thanks...
  8. WD notification icon + WD User Interface ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WD notification icon + WD User Interface ?: I am using Windows Defender. In task manager, I see both of these processes running. the two of them are also in startup. Is this normal? can and should I disable one of them in startup? 62204
  9. inquiry on how many times to backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    inquiry on how many times to backup: for now, I have backup plan to backup daily, Monday through Friday. or should I go with a monthly backup plan?*Tongue 65990
  10. inquiry on screen resolution changer program?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    inquiry on screen resolution changer program?: i have found a screen resolution changer and was wondering what, if any pitfalls are associated with a program that changes resolution to higher setting? mine is 1366x768 default 94660