Windows 10: First Windows 11 update impacts AMD performance issues even worse

Discus and support First Windows 11 update impacts AMD performance issues even worse in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; When Microsoft released Windows 11 last week, AMD published a support article in which it stated that the performance of AMD powered devices was up to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Oct 14, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

First Windows 11 update impacts AMD performance issues even worse

When Microsoft released Windows 11 last week, AMD published a support article in which it stated that the performance of AMD powered devices was up to 15% worse than on Windows 10 devices. AMD even went that far to suggest to its customers that it would be better to stay on Windows 10 for the time being.

AMD processors are affected by increased L3 cache latency and preferred core mechanism, known as UEFI-CPPC2, is not working correctly either.

Microsoft did not add the issue to the list of known issues of Windows 11, and has not revealed the issue publicly, to the best of my knowledge.

First Windows 11 update impacts AMD performance issues even worse amd-windows-11-performance-issue.png

Microsoft released the first cumulative update for Windows 11 on Tuesday. The patch, which was delivered to compatible and incompatible systems, appears to affect the performance of AMD processors even more, according to benchmarks run by TechPowerUp and Heise.

TechPowerUp reports that one of their AMD test devices had a latency of 31.9 ns after installation of the October 2021 update for Windows 11. Before, its latency was 17 ns, and on Windows 10, it was 10 ns.

Heise, a popular German publishing company, best known for its CT magazine, reported similar benchmark results. A Ryzen 5 5600G device had a latency of 12.4 ns on Windows 10. With the release version of Windows 11 installed, the latency jumped up to about 30 ns, and with this week's patch to 40 ns.

Read and write performance dropped to about 96 Gigabytes/second after installation of the update, while it performed at 378 Gigabytes/second on Windows 10.

AMD plans to release a patch for the Preferred Cores issue on Windows 11. The patch is scheduled for October 21, 2021. According to AMD, Microsoft will release a patch for Windows 11 on October 19, 2021, to address the latency issue of AMD systems on Microsoft's Windows 11 operating system.

AMD customers who upgraded to Windows 11 already should see noticeable performance improvements, especially in taxing contexts such as gaming, after the release of both updates.

As always, we will let you know once the updates are available.

Now You: have you upgraded your device(s) to Windows 11?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post First Windows 11 update impacts AMD performance issues even worse appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Oct 14, 2021

2. Performance issues with File Explorer in Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, appreciate the time taken by you in keeping us updated on the status of the issue.

As the issue still persists, I suggest you to try the below steps and check if this helps.

I would suggest you to perform System Maintenance troubleshooter on the computer and check if it fixes the issue.

Please follow the steps to perform System maintenance check to improve performance of the computer:

• Press Windows and x key together and select Control Panel.

• Click on Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left side panel.

• Click on System Maintenance and follow the onscreen instructions.

I also suggest you to install the latest Windows updates and check.

Windows Update helps keep your computer up to date with the latest system updates and drivers. You can check Windows Update manually to help ensure you have the latest updates.

• Hit Windows Key and type

• Type Windows Updates

• Click on Windows Updates

• Click on Check for updates
      and install the latest windows updates.
    Hope this helps. Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

ThofikhAhamad, Oct 14, 2021
  3. Performance Impact on Windows Systems with Spectre and Meltdown Mitigations

Quoting this from the source link at the bottom of my post.

Source: Understanding the performance impact of Spectre and Meltdown mitigations on Windows Systems

biffzinker, Oct 14, 2021
  4. InTech Win User

My Desktop Performance issue

My desktop computer specification is

• Processor: AMD FX 8320
    • Motherboard: Asus M5A97
    • RAM: Kingston HyperX 16 GB (8*2)
    • HD: 1TB WD Black
    • Graphics Card: 2GB Saphire 5450
    • SMPS: Cooler Master 650W

I optimized my desktop computer well.

• Limited applications are installed in my desktop computer.
    • Limited applications are enabled in startup.
    • In msconfig, limited services are enabled.
    • Browsers are optimized.
    • No games are installed.
    • No temp/ junk files
    • Internet Speed is fine.
    • Internet Security is updated and working fine.
    • In Task Manager, CPU usages and temperature are normal.

However, its performance is low.

• Please guide me for additional steps or in-depth steps for its improved performance.
    • And I would like to diagnose its benchmark performance. What applications I can use for it?

With Regards

InTech

InTech, Oct 14, 2021
Thema:

1. First Windows 11 update impacts AMD performance issues even worse - Similar Threads - update impacts AMD

2. laptop performance getting worse everyday

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    laptop performance getting worse everyday: my laptop performance is getting worse every day, a few weeks ago i could run most games at 100-150 fps, but now i can barely consistently keep up with 40 fps, i tried chkdsk, sfc, performed clean boot, updated graphics and chipset drivers, but it's still getting worse, my...
  3. Performance issues due to window 11 updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Performance issues due to window 11 updates: For the past week or more I notice win11 becoming sluggish with UI and such being slow to open up and work. It was only recently that I was made aware of this being due to a couple of the recent updates put out. I can't roll back to the previous version and my system restore...
  4. Performance issues due to window 11 updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Performance issues due to window 11 updates: For the past week or more I notice win11 becoming sluggish with UI and such being slow to open up and work. It was only recently that I was made aware of this being due to a couple of the recent updates put out. I can't roll back to the previous version and my system restore...
  5. Performance impact of disabling font smoothing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Performance impact of disabling font smoothing: Was looking for ways to optimize Windows and found this article. Tip #6 suggests choosing the performance option. On doing so, improvements are noticed. However, the fonts edges not looking smooth dampens the UX. On a fresh install, it would help if someone can confirm the...
  6. Issue with Performance in the Windows 11

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Issue with Performance in the Windows 11: So far, Windows 11 has been fun! But in the last hours, I have had an almost mental breakdown from this. While I was playing some games, I suffered a problem, my CPU started overloading and my game started to have a seizure, once I checked on task manager, everything seemed...
  7. AMD and Microsoft release patches to address AMD performance issue on Windows 11 PCs

in Windows 10 News
    AMD and Microsoft release patches to address AMD performance issue on Windows 11 PCs: Microsoft and AMD have released updates for Windows 11 that address performance issues that affect AMD processor performance issues on Windows 11 devices. When Microsoft released its Windows 11 operating system in early October 2021, it became clear quickly that it was...
  8. Microsoft is testing a fix for AMD's Windows 11 performance issue

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is testing a fix for AMD's Windows 11 performance issue: Microsoft released a new build to Beta and Release Preview Channels of the company's Windows 11 operating system a few hours ago. The patch includes a huge number of fixes for issues in Windows 11, including a fix for the L3 caching issue of AMD Ryzen processors that can...
  9. Worse than expected gaming performance

Worse than expected gaming performance: Hey. Less than a month ago I was updating my graphics drivers. That time was a little weird though, my screens kept flashing more times than usual, they usually only flicker 2-3 times and then stop, but they flickered like 8 times then I got a windows popup saying some...
  10. "Alt-Tab" impacts Gaming performance

"Alt-Tab" impacts Gaming performance: This issue seems to be noticed and cared by very few users on Windows. Users who multitask Alt-Tab when playing games, are vulnerable to this problem. I have been noticing inconsistencies in input latency, bad frame pacing etc., regardless of "Fullscreen optimizations"...