Windows 10: Fit ssd into laptop dvd drive bay Sata to IDE

Discus and support Fit ssd into laptop dvd drive bay Sata to IDE in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi i have an old HP pavilion dv6700 laptop, the dvd drive has packed up, thought I would fit an SSD into. A drive bay, but the interface is IDE, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by reddwarf4ever, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Fit ssd into laptop dvd drive bay Sata to IDE

Hi
    i have an old HP pavilion dv6700 laptop, the dvd drive has packed up, thought I would fit an SSD into. A drive bay, but the interface is IDE, but have found. Bay which accepts Sata but outputs IDE .

i assume I would lose a lot of the advantage that an SSD gives.

would I be best with an IDE 2.5” HDD if of course I can get one ?

thanks

:)

reddwarf4ever, Mar 27, 2019

2. SATA DVD-RW Drives

Hey Guys,

So, I finally just bought my new rig: EVGA A1 Mobo (w/ 6 SATA Slots), 2 WD Raptors (SATA - Gonna RAID 0 Boot), 4 Seagate 320GB Barracuda's (SATA - Gonna RAID 5 Storage).
    However, I realized I also bought 2 DVD-RW drives, in SATA *Eek! Fit ssd into laptop dvd drive bay Sata to IDE :eek: not enough SATA ports on the mobo...

So a couple of questions follow:
    1) Is SATA really faster for DVD-RW drives than IDE?
    2) Is there anyway to Inline/Series the (2) SATA DVD-RW drives, kinda like you do with IDE (Master/Slave)?
    3) Are there any SATA-->IDE reverse adaptors (not the opposite, I know those exist)?
    4) Based on the above answers, should I:
    • a) Get a PCI-E SATA RAID Card to Handle One of the RAID Arrays, and keep the DVD-RW drives as SATA? (although those are dang expensive, AND I don't know where that PCI Card is gonna fit - got an 8800gtx, PCI Slot-Cooler, Wifi card... an extra slot but no room down there)
    • b) Return the DVD-RW SATA drives and get (2) IDE DVD-RW drives?
    • Another option that won't require me spending a lot of money?
    Eesh, I'm kinda stuck on my build if I don't have a CD Drive to read from for Windows Install(I don't have any extra ones sittin around - and I want to install my RAID 5 Storage array right away)

Suggestions?*Confused Fit ssd into laptop dvd drive bay Sata to IDE :confused:

surfsk8snow.jah, Mar 27, 2019
  3. windows 10 professional not finding one of two internal hard drives

The hard drives drivers are not the same as the disk/storage controllers listed separately IDE SATA/ATAPI controllers. What are listed under those?

Is this a laptop where you are using the Optical Drive bay as a secondary hard drive bay? Please explain the secondary bay you describe using for the problem disk. How is it connected exactly to the motherboard?

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 27, 2019
  4. Baer Win User

Fit ssd into laptop dvd drive bay Sata to IDE

Optical Drives, SATA or IDE?

What do you guys recommend? I have 6 SATA slots on my Mobo and I will be installing three HDDs initially. I may install a SSD drive later so that would be 4. I am trying to decide if I want to use IDE and save my two additional SATA slots. I am going to install two optical drives. I am not very concerned about a little more burn speed for the optical drives as they are not used that often.
    Comments and Suggestions?
    Tnx

Thema:

Fit ssd into laptop dvd drive bay Sata to IDE

1. Fit ssd into laptop dvd drive bay Sata to IDE - Similar Threads - Fit ssd laptop

2. Issues with SSD and SATA drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues with SSD and SATA drives: Hello,I have two issues regarding my two hard drives. One is an HDD with 2 TB and the other is an SSD with 1TB.This is the first time I have had a computer with more than one drive, so when I tried to copy all of my files, programs, user data, etc. over, I went a bit haywire...
  3. New Tower with no DVD drive bay

in Windows 10 Support
    New Tower with no DVD drive bay: Hi Guys Just had a new custom tower built and overlooked the fact there was no DVD/Optical drive bay to fit a DVD drive which is not a major factor as it is one of those items that does not get a lot use, BUT if i need to boot from a rescue disk which i prefer, will a...
  4. Connected SATA with IDE Settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connected SATA with IDE Settings: I have G4117L0D bios Zebronics ZEB G41 D3 motherboard in my PC I have connected 2 HDD, both have 6GB/s capability (SATA 3) BIOS has options of SATA type as IDE, AHCI, RAID. In IDE there are 2 options, Before PATA and Behind PATA. In AHCI there are again the same options...
  5. Fit to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fit to SSD: I want to change my hard drive but without having to install windows. I mean to make a clone of the other hard drive. If I paste all the folders on my new hard drive, does it work? Or should we do it with a program?...
  6. IDE To SATA Drive Not Recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    IDE To SATA Drive Not Recognised: I have a SAMSUNG 40GB IDE HDD that I took out of an old case. I acquired an IDE to SATA adapter. The drive turns on; no strange noises, or anything. It looks pretty much band new, dispite it being 15 years old. It's not recognised by Windows, and it doesn't seem to show up in...
  7. Need HDD tray for dvd bay

Need HDD tray for dvd bay: Hi ttying to ascertain which size dvd bay tray size I need, many sellers specify C50 with some numbers...does that mean I have to look specifically for toshiba satellite c50 a 1 DV ? Or can I get any caddy that is specified as C50 ? thanks 127116
  8. IDE drive to SATA host

IDE drive to SATA host: I an trying to reuse old IDE drives and DVD writers in a system that only has SATA on board. I bought two kinds of adaptor board for it but none of them works. Here are the two boards: [img] [img] I've tried them on 2 PCs (B75 and Z97 chipset, both run Windows 10), 3 old...
  9. Problem with USB2 to IDE/SATA Bridge

Problem with USB2 to IDE/SATA Bridge: Hi! I recently tried to use this device which worked on Windows 7 Professional before upgrading to 10. I found that the USB2 device fluctuated from appearing in Device Manager. Also the SATA drive appeared as named device, then Local drive or disappeared completely. I...
  10. DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks

DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks: Since I upgraded to windows 10 my SATA DVD/CD RW will not work. I insert a disk the light come on showing it is reading. 2. when I click to dvd drive , appears a dialoge box stating "Insert Disk" . So I am unable to use and cd to read/install any of my software. Also I have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. laptop drive bay ide

2. laptop dvd drive bay for ssd

3. will an ssd fit in laptop with ata drive

4. can i fit a 6gb sdd into an older laptop