Windows 10: Fitted SSD, a couple of questions.

Discus and support Fitted SSD, a couple of questions. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've fitted an SSD to a PC, cloned Windows over to it, but it won't boot. The old HHD is still in the PC, working fine with Windows 10. The PC is made... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Kawazuki, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Kawazuki Win User

Fitted SSD, a couple of questions.

I've fitted an SSD to a PC, cloned Windows over to it, but it won't boot. The old HHD is still in the PC, working fine with Windows 10. The PC is made by Asus.

I can't be exactly sure what was supplied with the PC but I do have a piece of paper which came with is that is headed "Window 8.1 Downgrade Notice". It says that the PC was supplied with Windows 7 Pro pre-installed and also media for 8.1. Pro came with it. I don't recall ever using Windows 8.

Fast forward to today. The PC runs Windows 10, upgraded from Windows 7 I think. I cloned the HHD over to a SSD, but when I try to boot from the SSD I get a few messages then "attempting repairs". On the Activation page in Settings I can see that activation is by digital licence, and I am also invited to add a Microsoft account, so it may be that I have never associated the licence with a Microsoft account.

I would like to get Windows 10 working on the SSD, but I don't want to burn my bridges with the HHD. That is, at some point I might want to revert to using the HHD as the only drive in the PC.

The HDD and the SSD are formatted the same way. There is one partition with the OS, and another with files. On the partition without the OS there is a folder called "Windows10Upgrade".

What should I do?

The mobo has not been changed. The only other hardware change is the addition of extra RAM.

All help and suggestions appreciated.

:)

Kawazuki, Apr 5, 2021
  2. erocker Win User

Fit's current machine... always changing

I'm just waiting for evga to list them for a step-up! Looks killer fits.

erocker, Apr 5, 2021
  3. JKarch Win User
    A Couple Questions About Partitions

Hello, it's been a couple days. So I decided to get back at the effort of resolving this, but I'm so confused on how to perform the steps you have listed above even though the list looks pretty simple and self-explanatory. Is it possible to go a little bit more in depth and explain it like you're talking to someone who has no experience doing something like this? That would be greatly appreciated.

JKarch, Apr 5, 2021
  4. jmcslob Win User

2 x SSD Raid 0 - is this right?

Hey Fits

Can you list a few helpful hints for T ski ,maybe a step by step how to OR what to look out for*Cool Fitted SSD, a couple of questions. :cool:

jmcslob, Apr 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Fitted SSD, a couple of questions. - Similar Threads - Fitted SSD couple

2. a couple file management questions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    a couple file management questions: Hi all, I have two questions about file management. 1. I notice when I examine my documents folder in file explorer that a blank status column appears. Is there a way to get rid of this? This is my local folder, not One Drive. 2. I notice that when modifying files stored in...
  3. couple of questions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    couple of questions: hi again microsoft i have a couple of SVChosts.exe running in my taskmanager now my first question is this, is svchost.exe a virus, malware or a worm? what is dashost.exe should i remove or disable svchost.exe would it be dangerous to do so?what is MaskVPN could you please...
  4. A couple of questions

in Windows 10 Support
    A couple of questions: Q #1. Can cookies be manually added to Google Chrome Browser? I recently purchased a new computer. I backed up my cookies and passwords and added them into the new machine. What I didn't realize that I had to "Turn on Cookies" so websites could recognize my usernames and...
  5. Couple questions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Couple questions: Recently built my PC.... dream build. So happy. Got a few questions though. Ryzen 5 3600 (overclocked to 4300Mhz) B450 tomahawk max Gigabyte 8Gb 2070 super 16gb Corsair ddr4-3600 128? Gb ssd 1) when I boot it, I turn on my two monitors. Most of the time they go to sleep...
  6. Fit to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fit to SSD: I want to change my hard drive but without having to install windows. I mean to make a clone of the other hard drive. If I paste all the folders on my new hard drive, does it work? Or should we do it with a program?...
  7. A couple of Diskpart questions?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A couple of Diskpart questions?: Hi all, I have a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive that Ive created. I have a couple of questions that Im curious about. 1. If I select the USB flash drive in Diskpart and then type in Detail Disk. There is an option listed there..."Boot Disk" and in my case it says "No"....
  8. A couple of threee questions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    A couple of threee questions: The partition can be created any where, not necessarily at the end but easier just to shrink the partition at the end. Depend on if your Windows is installed using GPT or MBR disk type. If MBR, you must set this partition to Active then you would not be able to boot Windows...
  9. Couple questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Couple questions: First of all does anyone know a simple way to deny permissions to an unknown user in the registry? S-1-15-3-1024-1065365936-1281604716-3511738428-1654721687-432734479-3232135806-4053264122-3456934681 this unknown user has read permissions all through out the registry - I...
  10. Couple Enterprise questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Couple Enterprise questions: 2 PCs...1 W10 Pro, the other W10 Enterprise. W10 Pro is on an inferior old laptop and is functioning as intended. W10 Enterprise is on a bigger better desktop and there are two issues at the moment: 1) it is slower than Pro on the older laptop. 2) Edge is installed and...