Windows 10: fitting a second hard drive broke windows activation?

Discus and support fitting a second hard drive broke windows activation? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; just noticed windows isn't activated. i've only had the pc for four days : in the middle of setting up a new pc, i got windows installed, then fitted a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ampers7, Aug 14, 2021.

1. ampers7 Win User

fitting a second hard drive broke windows activation?

just noticed windows isn't activated. i've only had the pc for four days : in the middle of setting up a new pc, i got windows installed, then fitted a second hard drive with all my files on it. now windows is saying it isn't activated. i assume the "hardware change" is to blame? that or the update yesterday since i only noticed it this morning. there was no OS on the second hard drive. it still boots from the new drive with the new copy of windows. so am i down one copy of windows after 4 days of use or can i fix this somehow?

:)

ampers7, Aug 14, 2021
  2. XYZ
    xyz Win User

Hot Swap and fitting second Hard Drive

Okay got it open

fitting a second hard drive broke windows activation? [​IMG]

So I can use this just the same as installing a second drive inside main housing - that's great

Do you have any thoughts on using the WD Black as main drive (transfering system to the WD Black - which I guess I can do by using this Hot Swap?) - or it is not worth the bother (risk - I am new to this) and leave the system on installed WD Blue?

Thanks

3. XYZ
    xyz Win User
    Hot Swap and fitting second Hard Drive

Hi

I just received my purchased MEDION AKOYA P5218 F - Intel Core i5-6400, 2,7GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750, WLAN, Windows 10 Desktop computer.

Since I had recently just bought a WD 1TB Black Hard Drive I wanted to fit this inside.

Although there appears to be a tiny cramped space for a second Hard Drive (have marked the place where I think it should go? and use any free electric cable in that bundle?) I was unable to see anywhere to plug the cable into the motherboard.

I bought this computer as replacement to my i3 3220 which was no longer good enough for my multimedia software; I did not have a lot of money over, but wanted an i5, so this was my compromise (but extremely wary - Medion!!). I did read it had a "Hot Swap" but did not really understand what this was (other than you could easily swap drives):

Hot-swap mobile rack - Swap hard drives quickly and easily – even while the PC is running. Perfect for data backups, data exchange and alternative operating systems.

http://www.medion.com/gb/shop/multim...ed-description

But fully understand I did not!

Anyway - and I am just guessing here - it looks like the Hot Swap is using the motherboard socket for a possible second Hard Drive. And there is no other free socket.

So - guessing again - if I have understand correctly from Google searches - the Hot Swap is not intended to be used as a second internal Hard Drive ? Or have I understood wrong? Can it be used for my second Hard Drive?

Really confused here about this!!! SO HELP!

If not I guess I will have to unplug the Hot Swap and use this to plug my second Hard Drive?

ANOTHER but related question:

The built in Hard Drive looks to be a 1 TB WD Blue

The Hard Drive I want to build in is a 1 TB WD Black

As far as I can tell the Black is a better drive than the Blue (was certainly more expensive)

So should I move the system (if I am capable of doing this easy - have no experience and not that computer technical) from the Blue to the Black? (does it bring significant performance or none?)

Or just leave it as it is?

AND - guessing again - I figure I might be able to use this Hot Swap to somehow move my system over to the black (only if it is better for system performance?) - clone/copy - or? have never used such a thing (Hot Swap) before so unsure about this?

Really stuck here on this Hot Swap be glad of speedy help - and many thanks

4. fitting a second hard drive broke windows activation?

little cat, Aug 14, 2021
Thema:

fitting a second hard drive broke windows activation?

1. fitting a second hard drive broke windows activation? - Similar Threads - fitting second hard

2. Second Hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second Hard drive not detected: So my friend has a hard drive that fully works but he wants to recover his data. I plug it in to my computer and it’s not detected on file explorer. It is detected on Disk management. I want to access through file explorer. I try to assign a letter but it doesn’t work. I need...
  3. Second Hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second Hard drive not detected: So my friend has a hard drive that fully works but he wants to recover his data. I plug it in to my computer and it’s not detected on file explorer. It is detected on Disk management. I want to access through file explorer. I try to assign a letter but it doesn’t work. I need...
  4. Second Hard Drive Not Showing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Second Hard Drive Not Showing: Hello, My computer stopped updating about a year ago, and I knew eventually that it would crash upon itself. Today was that day, and I had to reinstall windows through a USB drive. Now everything works fine. However, I noticed that the second hard drive 1TB does not...
  5. Second hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second hard drive not recognized: Hi, I bought an additional used 2.5" HDD (1TB Toshiba MQ02ABF100) for my desktop which has an ASUS Motherboard ROG Strix B350-I Gaming. Since I already had an external 2.5" drive (512gb Western Digital WD5000BEVT) in a USB caddy, before installing the 1TB in my desktop, I...
  6. Fit desktop to second monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fit desktop to second monitor: Just hooked up second monitor. How do I fit to screen? I changed resolution, but didn't do what I'm looking for. Icons and task bar are cut off. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fit-desktop-to-second-monitor/5533d824-c003-4b31-9e9f-a7e17b9229dc
  7. Add a Second Hard Drive

Add a Second Hard Drive: I have an Acer AME600-UR378 Desktop computer that has the facility to add a SATA hard drive in a bay located in the front panel. I have installed a Toshiba SATA MG03ACA200 2TB drive in that bay. It does not show up in my device manager or in Windows Explorer. What steps...
  8. Windows 10 doesn't fit my brand new hard drive

Windows 10 doesn't fit my brand new hard drive: My brand new but lower cost 2018 laptop had only 30 gig hard drive space and after unboxing I had to update windows 10. Surprise!!! Windows 10 with the upgrade was more that 30 gig...… Now because you can't have operating systems split on two drives and I only had one and...
  9. Windows Update broke my Hard Drive

Windows Update broke my Hard Drive: I trusted my sister with my laptop when I was at school, I come home and she said it has been doing an update all day, so I plugged it and left it. I come back the next day and it is doing Disk Checking, left it 24 hours, still going, 48, still, a week, off. I turn it on and...
  10. Hot Swap and fitting second Hard Drive

Hot Swap and fitting second Hard Drive: Hi I just received my purchased MEDION AKOYA P5218 F - Intel Core i5-6400, 2,7GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750, WLAN, Windows 10 Desktop computer. Since I had recently just bought a WD 1TB Black Hard Drive I wanted to fit this inside. Although there...