Windows 10: Fix accidentally merged user profile folder with library downloads

Discus and support Fix accidentally merged user profile folder with library downloads in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was moving some files around on my hard drive and I accidentally merged my User folder with my Downloads folder. So in my C:\User directory instead... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JonathanCain1, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Fix accidentally merged user profile folder with library downloads

I was moving some files around on my hard drive and I accidentally merged my User folder with my Downloads folder. So in my C:\User directory instead of seeing C:\Users\MyName I see C:\Users\Downloads. Is there a way to fix this using PowerShell or Registry Edit? Below is what it looks like. Fix accidentally merged user profile folder with library downloads 10e8e3c3-1cf4-457c-88ce-c58a169829c5?upload=true.png

:)

JonathanCain1, Mar 4, 2020

2. Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder

Hello. I'm reposting this because last time I posted this, I got a reply, but no complete answer.

I made a mistake while trying to move folders around and accidentally moved the Downloads folder to C:\Users\pengu\ (pengu is the name of my user folder). Now I have a folder named Downloads instead of pengu that has
    all of my user folders in it. Its address is still C:\Users\pengu, but its name shows up as Downloads. I'm pretty sure I merged my Downloads folder and user folder. During my attempts to fix this, I ended up with a Downloads folder inside of this folder that
    works normally. The new Downloads folder says it's located in C:\Users\pengu\ if I go to the Location tab in Properties. If I try to search my PC for the actual pengu folder, there is a folder named pengu located in a different Users folder on another drive
    as D:\Users\pengu. However, it has no folders inside of it.

Fix accidentally merged user profile folder with library downloads d83c2e72-d906-4cee-8359-e706e64d3e14?upload=true.png

Here is a picture of my Users folder.

Fix accidentally merged user profile folder with library downloads fce79ec2-7437-4e28-bc05-8e31fd9c9dd2?upload=true.png

And here is inside the folder named Downloads that was in the Users folder. Clicking on the Downloads folder on the left side brings me to the folder named Downloads inside of this folder.

Trying to restore the original location of both C:\Users\pengu\ and D:\Users\pengu\ does nothing. My computer is working fine, but I'm worried that this could have future consequences. I don't have any backups or system restore points available from before
    this happened.

Is there a way to remedy this without reinstalling? If not, how do I reinstall in such a way that I can easily get back all of my various files and apps while still fixing this problem? Or does it even need to be fixed?

Ariana Brisco-Schofield, Mar 4, 2020
  3. Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder

Hello. I made a mistake while trying to move folders around and accidentally moved the Downloads folder to C:\Users\pengu\ (pengu is the name of my user folder). Now I have a folder named Downloads instead of pengu that has all of my user folders in it.
    Its address is still C:\Users\pengu, but its name shows up as Downloads. I'm pretty sure I merged my Downloads folder and user folder. During my attempts to fix this, I ended up with a Downloads folder inside of this folder that works normally. The new Downloads
    folder says it's located in C:\Users\pengu\ if I go to the Location tab in Properties. If I try to search my PC for the actual pengu folder, there is a folder named pengu located in a different Users folder on another drive as D:\Users\pengu. However, it has
    no folders inside of it.

Fix accidentally merged user profile folder with library downloads d83c2e72-d906-4cee-8359-e706e64d3e14?upload=true.png

Here is a picture of my Users folder.

Fix accidentally merged user profile folder with library downloads fce79ec2-7437-4e28-bc05-8e31fd9c9dd2?upload=true.png

And here is inside the folder named Downloads that was in the Users folder. Clicking on the Downloads folder on the left side brings me to the folder named Downloads inside of this folder.

Trying to restore the original location of both C:\Users\pengu\ and D:\Users\pengu\ does nothing. My computer is working fine, but I'm worried that this could have future consequences. I don't have any backups or system restore points avaliable from before
    this happened.

Is there a way to remedy this without reinstalling? If not, how do I reinstall in such a way that I can easily get back all of my various files and apps while still fixing this problem? Or does it even need to be fixed?

Ariana Brisco-Schofield, Mar 4, 2020
  4. Fix accidentally merged user profile folder with library downloads

I ACCIDENTALLY MERGED MY DOWNLOADS LIBRARY TO D DRIVE

I accidentally merged my downloads library to D Drive as I was transferring my Downloads folder location and in properties it looks like the PC is recognizing the object as both the Downloads folder and a Hard Drive.
    Is there a way to undo this?!?

I want to separate my Downloads folder from D drive but I also want it to be placed under the D drive itself BUT under its
    own folder. Can anyone help me with this please??

Kingsley1124, Mar 4, 2020
Thema:

Fix accidentally merged user profile folder with library downloads

1. Fix accidentally merged user profile folder with library downloads - Similar Threads - Fix accidentally merged

2. Accidentally Merged Downloads Folder with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally Merged Downloads Folder with OneDrive: Hey, I need te help of the community!Today, I accidentally moved my "Downloads" folder directly into the "OneDrive" directory without first creating a separate "Downloads" folder within "OneDrive."Now, my "OneDrive" and "Downloads" contents are combined into a single shared...
  3. Accidentally Merged Downloads Folder with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accidentally Merged Downloads Folder with OneDrive: Hey, I need te help of the community!Today, I accidentally moved my "Downloads" folder directly into the "OneDrive" directory without first creating a separate "Downloads" folder within "OneDrive."Now, my "OneDrive" and "Downloads" contents are combined into a single shared...
  4. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder: hello, I was moving my user folder from my SSD to my HDD, I first started with the desktop folder but decided to move it back, I ended up merging my user and desktop file.i Have tried to follow the answer to this question, but it didn't work:...
  5. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder: hello, I was moving my user folder from my SSD to my HDD, I first started with the desktop folder but decided to move it back, I ended up merging my user and desktop file.i Have tried to follow the answer to this question, but it didn't work:...
  6. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Accidentally Merged User Profile Folder With Video Folder

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Accidentally Merged User Profile Folder With Video Folder: Basically what its said on the tin. I merged that folder with the Video folder when I was moving said video folder from D: back to C: To be specific it was the named folder. The "Owner" folder. I tried moving everything from that folder into a new one labeled "ST" after my...
  8. Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder

Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder: Hello. I'm reposting this because last time I posted this, I got a reply, but no complete answer. I made a mistake while trying to move folders around and accidentally moved the Downloads folder to C:\Users\pengu\ (pengu is the name of my user folder). Now I have a folder...
  9. Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder

Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder: Hello. I made a mistake while trying to move folders around and accidentally moved the Downloads folder to C:\Users\pengu\ (pengu is the name of my user folder). Now I have a folder named Downloads instead of pengu that has all of my user folders in it. Its address is still...
  10. Accidentally merged User and Documents folders

Accidentally merged User and Documents folders: Hello, I was moving some files around on my hard drive and I accidentally merged my User folder with my Documents folder. So in my C:\User directory instead of seeing C:\Users\MyName I see C:\Users\Documents. Seen below: [ATTACH] I have looked through a few different...