Windows 10: Fix: Cannot find server certificate with thumbprint while restoring SQL database

Discus and support Fix: Cannot find server certificate with thumbprint while restoring SQL database in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; When restoring a database you might get the below error. System.Data.SqlClient.SQLError: Cannot find server certificate with thumbprint [ATTACH]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Noel, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Noel New Member

Fix: Cannot find server certificate with thumbprint while restoring SQL database

When restoring a database you might get the below error.

System.Data.SqlClient.SQLError: Cannot find server certificate with thumbprint

Fix: Cannot find server certificate with thumbprint while restoring SQL database sqlrestoretde.jpg

This is because the database was encrypted with Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and you will not be able to restore it until you get the Certificate, the Private key and the password from the supplier of the database.

After you collect the required items above, open a new SQL query as the server admin on the database master.

First we need to create the master cerificate on the server by using

USE master
    GO
    CREATE MASTER KEY ENCRYPTION BY PASSWORD = '<MyComplexPassword>'
    GO

Now that the master certificate has been installed you will need to install the certificate provided by the owner of the database

CREATE CERTIFICATE MyServerCert
    FROM FILE = 'C:\TDECert\Cert.cer'
    WITH PRIVATE KEY (FILE = 'C:\TDECert\key.pvk',
    DECRYPTION BY PASSWORD = '<PasswordProvidedByTheSupplier>');

Once this is done and executed you will be allowed to restore the database.

(0)

read more...

2. JLP1 Win User

Running sql server 2005 and have restored several databases from backups using commands

Original Title: sql server 2005

I have a windows 10 computer running SQL server 2005 and have restored several databases from backups that were created using the following command:

BACKUP DATABASE @name TO DISK = @fileName WITH INIT

After restoring those databases, everything seems to run fine, but sys.dm_db_index_usage_stats is not being updated effectively. I can only get the stats to show up for 1 database at a time, and it only seems to be temporary. They are removed as soon as
    the next database is updated. The last updated database will only stay there temporarily too. I am not detaching the databases or restarting the server or doing anything else that should reset the statistics. Any ideas?

3. MALIK YASIRNAWAZ Win User
    SQL Server Files

Hi RalphHead,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you and thank you for your valuable question please, Before attempting reload of Windows 10 I would suggest you to please see the below mentioned article and see if it helps, If the issue persists kindly let me know,waiting
    for your kind reply please.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational...

Please let me know, if that helps and feel free to ask back any question.

Kind Regards:

Yasir

MALIK YASIRNAWAZ, Oct 19, 2018
  4. Brink Win User

Fix: Cannot find server certificate with thumbprint while restoring SQL database

Always Encrypted now generally available in Azure SQL Database

Source: Always Encrypted now generally available in Azure SQL Database | Blog | Microsoft Azure

Brink, Oct 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Fix: Cannot find server certificate with thumbprint while restoring SQL database - Similar Threads - Fix Cannot find

2. Error No 2350 while installing Sql server express edition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error No 2350 while installing Sql server express edition: hello there I am learning to make windows form applications in visual studio .thats why to work with databases I wanted to install SQL server express edition. I downloaded the file properly without any problems.but the problem is when I try to install it, it shows me this...
  3. Thumbprint of a Certificate help

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbprint of a Certificate help: Hello Before doing a format on my computer and a fresh install i copied the things i wanted to save to an external hard drive. Now that i have the installation done, i can access everything except all the pictures that i had. They appear with a lock on the top right, when i...
  4. sql server management studio

in Windows 10 Customization
    sql server management studio: Hi! I have been using an electronic health record system for the past 10 years. I am retiring soon but will still need access to the 'ehr' information for 7 years. The people who run the program that I use tell me that the information is in sql. I have a choice how to access...
  5. sql server install error

sql server install error: I get the error message of "Version string portion was too short or too long." I've uninstalled all previous versions of SQL and removed any references to .net framework. Windows10-64bit, I5-3GHZ, 16GB ram How do I get past this install error?...
  6. thumbprint

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    thumbprint: Certificate for local system with Thumbprint c6 e7 54 db 47 b0 9f d2 d0 2c 0c 2b 27 f1 04 5a d5 97 48 8b is about to expire or already expired. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/thumbprint/d837a9b0-97d2-4194-9733-6eb562316fbc
  7. Microsoft SQL Server

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft SQL Server: I have just had to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro in order to install the update of a Tax program I use. The reason for the upgrade was because the Home edition would not allow the installation of Microsoft SQL Server. So the Pro edition lets it run through to the end...
  8. Microsoft SQL Server

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft SQL Server: I have just had to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro in order to install the update of a Tax program I use. The reason for the upgrade was because the Home edition would not allow the installation of Microsoft SQL Server. So the Pro edition lets it run through to the end...
  9. microsoft exchange server database

microsoft exchange server database: I have experience with MS Exchange Server 2013 for two years. But today I have seen - Corrupted header information, when I opened program. How did it happen? What to do? 54187
  10. SQL Server error?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SQL Server error?: How can I make this SQL Server error go away? [img] 65169