Windows 10: fix Disk Unknown Not Initialized m-2 drive without any data loss

Discus and support fix Disk Unknown Not Initialized m-2 drive without any data loss in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a very stressful and ongoing problem I'd like help with, please. About a week ago, my acer swift 3 was working fine windows 10. One evening... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by EmilyWall, Apr 1, 2020.

1. EmilyWall Win User

fix Disk Unknown Not Initialized m-2 drive without any data loss

I have a very stressful and ongoing problem I'd like help with, please.

About a week ago, my acer swift 3 was working fine windows 10. One evening it was slow, so i restarted it. it worked fine after this, i watched an episode of a show online, and then closed the laptop and went to bed. The next day I opened my laptop to use it, and the device would't boot. it spent 2 days with the acer screen, and the loading wheel. I tried booting and pressing F2, then selecting save and exit, as advised on the acer forum. This did nothing but change the issue to a 'no bootable device' error.

I bought a windows recovery USB to boot from, and tried to go down the 'repair your computer' route, but this did not work, as my drive was not being recognised, and no restore points had been created that i could access

I eventually bought an m-2 enclosure, opened up the laptop and removed the m-2 drive. I installed the drive into the enclosure, and connected it to another PC, however the drive did not show up. After some searching online, I used disk management, and only then can i see the drive. At first it asked me to initialise the drive, which i selected yes to without much thought but then I got an error, something along the lines of 'could not initialise die to fatal error'. So, the drive is not initialised. I now know this is good, since that would have wiped it.

After some more research, it seems the issue could be that I need to fix the MBR. However, I don't know if this would delete my data, and safe data recovery here is paramount.

At the moment, the drive in disk management is showing as:

Disk 1

Unkown

238.47GB 238.47GB

Not Initialised Unallocated

What can I do? Can i use command prompt to repair the MBR, and will that help? How can I ensure no data is lost? If I need to use a service, which should I use? Please help me, I'm at a loss what to do.

The laptop was purchased in 2018, july

:)

EmilyWall, Apr 1, 2020

2. unknown, Not initialize, unallocated external hard disk want to initialize

I wanted to initialize unknown, unallocated,not initialize external hard disk, but when I go to disk manager and try to initialize the message pop up "Virtual disk manager access denied".

Secondly, drive do not have any letter, and I CAN'T to assign letter to drive (in order to go for chkdsk in prompt command). when I right click on unknown & unallocated drive then there is only option left are properties help and offline.

My question is how can I initialize the drive or bring the status online in order to assign drive letter and initialize the disk?

mayurpatel3, Apr 1, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Save RAW drive - Don't want data

Open Admin command prompt, then type:
    1. diskpart
    2. list disk ======> Take note of disk # of the RAW drive
    3. select disk # ======> is the number in step 2
    4. clean
    5. exit
    Open Disk Management and initialize it, Create Simple, format.

topgundcp, Apr 1, 2020
  4. Jefrison Win User

M.2 SSD Drive With Windows 10 Listed as Disk 1 in Disk Management,

Hi, In my pc M.2 SSD with Windows 10 OS is listed as Disk 1 and not as Disk 0 in Disk Management. Also, the same drive is listed as Removable devices which is actually internal SSD.

Can anybody help me resolve this, please?

Jefrison, Apr 1, 2020
Thema:

1. fix Disk Unknown Not Initialized m-2 drive without any data loss - Similar Threads - fix Disk Unknown

2. Data Loss without any intervention

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data Loss without any intervention: Dear Team, I have HP Laptop EliteBook SN: 5CG94979Z8 , we found that the laptop performance is not fine, we updated Google Chrome and reset TCP IP Network Driver and restart the laptop. After restart we found that the data on D has been disappeared and partition D become...
  3. Data Loss without any intervention

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data Loss without any intervention: Dear Team, I have HP Laptop EliteBook SN: 5CG94979Z8 , we found that the laptop performance is not fine, we updated Google Chrome and reset TCP IP Network Driver and restart the laptop. After restart we found that the data on D has been disappeared and partition D become...
  4. Data Loss without any intervention

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. NVME M.2 drive initialization issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NVME M.2 drive initialization issue: I have a Samsung 970 EVO that was my C drive until Magician told me it had exceeded its rated TBW. AT which point I installed a new, larger Samsung 980 EVO to replace it. I then got a USB enclosure thinking to use the now redundant SSD as a portable music library to keep in...
  6. NVME M.2 drive initialization issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NVME M.2 drive initialization issue: I have a Samsung 970 EVO that was my C drive until Magician told me it had exceeded its rated TBW. AT which point I installed a new, larger Samsung 980 EVO to replace it. I then got a USB enclosure thinking to use the now redundant SSD as a portable music library to keep in...
  7. Hard Disk Corrupted - install Window without data loss

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard Disk Corrupted - install Window without data loss: Hi Everyone, Recently, there is a window update in my server so I did the update. When it updates, my colleague turns off the power supply accidentally. When I boot it up again, it went to a blue screen and ask me to reinstall the window. I would like to ask is there any...
  8. disk 0 unknown not initialized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    disk 0 unknown not initialized: hey guys i am facing an issue just logged on my laptop windows 10 and opened my pc but D drive is missing when i went to disk management it not showing there too at all' i dont know what to do and this is second time witn in 3 months. [ATTACH]...
  9. Is there a way to convert dynamic disk to basic without data loss ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is there a way to convert dynamic disk to basic without data loss ?: I have dynamic disk about 2.7TB (GPT), i need to convert it to the basic without data loss. Is there any program that can do that ? I tried couple nothing worked. Paid of free doesn't matter. 149391
  10. Unknown Not Initialized – Can’t initialize disk in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Unknown Not Initialized – Can’t initialize disk in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you have installed a new internal or external hard drive or SSD, and its status in the left side of the Disk Management Tool displays Unknown Not Initialized then it means that Windows can’t the initialize disk and you [...] This post Unknown Not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. not initialized mbr need to be fixed

2. m.2 not initialized