Windows 10: Fix Failed to play test tone error on Windows 10

Discus and support Fix Failed to play test tone error on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you see Failed to play test tone error while testing your speaker or headphone, here are some solutions to fix the problem. People... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Oct 11, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

Fix Failed to play test tone error on Windows 10

WinClub, Oct 11, 2019
  2. Bransonb3 Win User

No audio from speakers; Failed to play test tone.

I have a Dell Latitude E6520 running Windows 10 Pro x64. When I try to watch YouTube I get no audio. Spotify plays and gives no errors but doesn't have sound. When I plug in headphone sound plays but as communications headphones. When I try to play a test sound through Speakers/Headphones I get an error that says "Failed to play test tone." When I try to troubleshoot it can't identify the problem. I have attached the report from troubleshooting.
    Thanks in advance for helping.
    Branson

Bransonb3, Oct 11, 2019
  3. Thoemel Win User
    DTS Interactive (5.1 Surround) Error: Failed to play test tone.

Hello,

I followed your instruction but I still get the "failed to play test tone" error.

Best regards,

Thomas

Thoemel, Oct 11, 2019
  4. BE1949 Win User

Failed to play test tone (Sound stopped working) - The fix that worked for me.

This is actually submitted as a possible fix to the very frustrating issue of suddenly losing your sound.

This loss of sound might be due to a Windows update....

This is my story:

• Roughly 12-14Sep18 - Audio stopped while looking @ YT vids.
    • All vols are fully up.
    • There was a message saying if video (I think) doesn’t start, restart device.
    • The on-screen Volume level METER still adjusted OK with laptop keys – but no sound.

NB: I later found that sound works OK when running in Ubuntu instead of Windows – proving my hardware to be OK.

• In Realtek HD Manager, testing sound was ineffective (the ‘TEST’ button greys when clicked, but nothing more happens – speakers should highlight when a test signal is received & played).
    • In Sound Control Panel, Speakers/Properties/TEST speakers generates an error message

"Failed to play test tone".
    • In Sound Control Panel, no signal is registered from mic.

What I did (NONE of the usual standard replies had any effect on this issue).

1. Troubleshooting gave something like “Cannot access sound device…”

– & “Not fixed”.
    2. Restarted the Service - Windows Audio - no effect
    3. Restarted the Service - Windows Audio Endpoint Builder - no effect
    4. Uninstalled Realtek HD Audio (also ticking box to delete existing driver), then Re-started so that Windows would auto-re-install - no effect
    5. Disabled all Enhancements - no effect
    6. Used sfc /scannow - no issues found.
    7. One suggestion related to settings in

Computer Management/System Tools/Local Users & Groups/Groups

– but Local users & Groups no longer exists in System Tools…. So this option no longer exists.

• Another suggestion I found was to restore the computer to a point prior to the sound failure.

I PERFORMED THIS LAST OPTION AND MY SOUND WAS RESTORED.

This was such a frustrating issue – I hope the above info helps someone.

My restore point was also prior to some Windows updates, so when these are reinstated I might find that my sound fails again - but now I hope to be in a position for a quicker resolution.

BE1949, Oct 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Fix Failed to play test tone error on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Fix Failed play

2. Windows 10 sound error: Failed to play test tone and everything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 sound error: Failed to play test tone and everything: Hi, I need some help with my sound on Windows 10. Everything is ok but I can’t hear any sound from my speakers or headphones. When I go to the Sound settings and try to play a test tone, it says “Failed to play test tone”. This error started yesterday after I updated Windows...
  3. Windows 10 sound error: Failed to play test tone and everything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 sound error: Failed to play test tone and everything: Hi, I need some help with my sound on Windows 10. Everything is ok but I can’t hear any sound from my speakers or headphones. When I go to the Sound settings and try to play a test tone, it says “Failed to play test tone”. This error started yesterday after I updated Windows...
  4. Windows 10 sound error: Failed to play test tone and everything

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Persistent Failed to play Test Tone Error

Persistent Failed to play Test Tone Error: Problem with sound began with a Red X on the speaker icon.Tried several uninstalls and re-installs of Audio Drivers and plugged and unplugged speakers and headphone.Finally decided it might be a motherboard fault to decided to get a new board and CPU.Now, the Red X is gone,...
  6. failed to play test tone error plz help ??

failed to play test tone error plz help ??: I I have msi GF63 THIN and I have a problem about audio device it say [ failed to play test tone ] - how I can solve this problem I have tried all the steps shows on the google and nothing work for my , what I can do to fix this problem plz help :...
  7. No audio, failed to play test tone after windows update.

No audio, failed to play test tone after windows update.: I've tried restarting both of the windows audio services (including AudioEndpointBuilder) as well as reinstalling the exact realtek audio driver for my motherboard that fixed a similar issue previously. When I try to change the default audio format (frequency and bit depth)...
  8. Fail to play test tone on any audio device.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fail to play test tone on any audio device.: My computer is a windows 10 alienware laptop that has failed to play a test tone with my speakers, tv or bluetooth headphones. I believe my bluetooth headphones were connected when I walked out of range and disconnected which started the issue. I have tried the following...
  9. Failed to play test tone (Sound stopped working) - The fix that worked for me.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failed to play test tone (Sound stopped working) - The fix that worked for me.: This is actually submitted as a possible fix to the very frustrating issue of suddenly losing your sound. This loss of sound might be due to a Windows update.... This my story: Roughly 12-14Sep18 - Audio stopped while looking @ YT vids. All vols are fully up. There was a...
  10. No audio from speakers; Failed to play test tone.

No audio from speakers; Failed to play test tone.: I have a Dell Latitude E6520 running Windows 10 Pro x64. When I try to watch YouTube I get no audio. Spotify plays and gives no errors but doesn't have sound. When I plug in headphone sound plays but as communications headphones. When I try to play a test sound through...