Windows 10: Fix file history

Discus and support Fix file history in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I posted recently asking for help to reconnect my file history. The answer I got failed. The dialogue box says it is an E: drive. I don't have an E:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SueFreeman2, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Fix file history

I posted recently asking for help to reconnect my file history. The answer I got failed. The dialogue box says it is an E: drive. I don't have an E: drive on Windows 10. What is going on? My PC is not backing up my files and it won't back up to the onedrive either. I'd appreciate any suggestions? Cheers Sue

:)

SueFreeman2, Jan 15, 2020
  2. #Jon# Win User

File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Jan 15, 2020
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jan 15, 2020
  4. Fix file history

File History defaults vs what I want to save

Hi Jim,

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

• Is the computer connected to a Domain network?
    • From when are you facing this issue?

I suggest you to try the steps in the following article which will help you to fix common File History issues.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

(Applies to Windows 10)

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

Fix file history

1. Fix file history - Similar Threads - Fix file history

2. File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History: File History seems to have stopped working. I've tried backing up from my PC W10, 21H1 version to two Passports. Each time I get the "run now" message, then a message only a few seconds later that the back-up is complete, but the total TB/GB amount free figure on the Passport...
  3. File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History: I have Windows 11 and cannot find the previous Windows 10 setup page that allowed inclusion of desired files as well as the removal of those not needed by the user. All it appears to do is to save files chosen by the program, most of which I don't need and cannot erase. Can...
  4. File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History: I have Windows 11 and cannot find the previous Windows 10 setup page that allowed inclusion of desired files as well as the removal of those not needed by the user. All it appears to do is to save files chosen by the program, most of which I don't need and cannot erase. Can...
  5. FILE HISTORY ELEMENT NOT FOUND . Is there a fix for this problem ??

FILE HISTORY ELEMENT NOT FOUND . Is there a fix for this problem ??: FILE HISTORY ELEMENT NOT FOUND . Is there a fix for this problem ?? I can't get file history to review and delete older file versions on win 10. It works perfectly on my wife's PC, even though running from outwards appearances. the same win 10 version. I've tried all the...
  6. Fix for file history disconnection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fix for file history disconnection: Hi, What software can I download to fix my file history? I keep getting pop-ups that say the file history is disconnected. I Googled the problem but the software that came up my security protection said was on a list of unsafe sites. Any ideas? Cheers Sue...
  7. how to fix file history disconnect error

how to fix file history disconnect error: how to fix file history disconnect error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-file-history-disconnect-error/4f7bc96c-9f97-49be-b123-e2168132375e"
  8. File History

File History: For some unknown reason, I opened my laptop and noticed that I had to manually minimize windows to see others. I tried to see if it was connected to setting in file history and found that file history was turned off and it said no usable file drive found. I don't know if it...
  9. File History needs fixed

File History needs fixed: My file history quit backing up as for third party doing it thats wrong in my mind I don't have much to lose but if I was A small business what to do can't it be backed up buy A external drive Just very frustrating to me I'm not A /P.C.\ person except here in the last nine...
  10. File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History: Hi. Hope I have posted this in the correct forum - I could not find a 'Backup & Restore' page. I have just purchased a NAS drive and I am going to enable Windows 10 to backup to this using File History. My question is, how does windows store these files? For...