Windows 10: Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations

Discus and support Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (Build 1809). When I download an image file or video file I get this popup that this extension has been reset... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Spartan, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Spartan Win User

Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations

I installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (Build 1809). When I download an image file or video file I get this popup that this extension has been reset back to its defaults. Upon checking the default in PC Settings that application is still there so I'm wondering what's this error and how to get rid of it permanently.

I saw one fix online but they said they only tested this up to Windows 10 v1607

:)

Spartan, Oct 12, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Oct 12, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Default apps being reset by Windows

My news item's been moved although this is likely to be recurring and important issue, so I won't bother posting there again.

See this, referring to KB3135173,
    Windows 10 Forced Update Resets Default Apps To Microsoft Products - Slashdot

Updategate: Microsoft 'aware' of problem causing app defaults to reset- The Inquirer

- from which came the suggested registry modification.
    Fix for "An App Default was Reset" Windows 10 Resetting File Associations (Registry Fixes) - The Winhelponline Blog

However, it would be better (I think) to uninstall the update, and hide it (see the Tutorial section) as in the article quoted by Seoras (above)

dalchina, Oct 12, 2020
  4. Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations

Default apps being reset by Windows

Spent plenty of time going through the event log to see what if anything caused the issue with .pdf files. So far I have found nothing.

Thanks for this link much appreciated.

The article also talks about another strange issue that I have noticed. The "Open with issue", which also does not list other apps, just the default ones.

In some cases the option "open with" is not even available when right clicking on a file type.

Geoff Daniell, Oct 12, 2020
Thema:

Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations

1. Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations - Similar Threads - Fix “An App

2. How to reset a file association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to reset a file association: This one might be complicated. But I accidentally hit open with notepad on an .iwi file. Of which I think doing so has broken my call of duty. I looked at various instances of people removing file associations but I'm just too slow to follow. I've tried though the settings,...
  3. How to reset a file association

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reset a file association: This one might be complicated. But I accidentally hit open with notepad on an .iwi file. Of which I think doing so has broken my call of duty. I looked at various instances of people removing file associations but I'm just too slow to follow. I've tried though the settings,...
  4. Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations

in Windows 10 Support
    Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations: I installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (Build 1809). When I download an image file or video file I get this popup that this extension has been reset back to its defaults. Upon checking the default in PC Settings that application is still there so I'm wondering what's this...
  5. File Associations and default apps Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Associations and default apps Windows 10: I installed Python 3.7 today and started working with it. When I tried to run a Python program from it's folder, I found the default was set to Notepad, rather than Python. When I tried to change the default program, Python was not listed as an option, even though it is...
  6. Windows 10 resets file associations to default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 resets file associations to default: Why does Windows 10 change my file associations every day to force me to use Edge to open Adobe PDF files? Edge is an unacceptable substitute for Adobe Acrobat Professional. Windows also changes my photo-editing preference to Photos no matter how much I want my own choice....
  7. How to Reset, Export and Import Default App Associations on Windows

in Windows 10 News
    How to Reset, Export and Import Default App Associations on Windows: [ATTACH] Windows 10 on the desktop has a plethora of applications available. Almost every kind of software is available for Windows 10. Even if you want to make a shortcut to copy and paste, you have a freeware to do it [...] This post How to Reset, Export and Import Default...
  8. Is there a way to reset the default values for Windows 10 file type associations to nothing?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to reset the default values for Windows 10 file type associations to nothing?: I received a new windows 10 version 1703 desktop system. I checked the file type associations and to my surprise, even the .htm and .html file types were NOT already assigned to an application, not even to EDGE or IE 11. Is that the way the default settings for Windows 10...
  9. resetting default appilcation associations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    resetting default appilcation associations: At work we have a software program that several times a day will erase my default program associations for : Http, https, PDF, jpeg, mailto. So several times a day I need to manually re associate firefox, paint, adobe, outlook. It is annoying. I think the program that does it...
  10. Fix An app default was reset Error in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Fix An app default was reset Error in Windows 10: How to: Fix An app default was reset Error in Windows 10 How to Fix 'An app default was reset' Error in Windows 10 [img] Information You may get a notification that states An app default was reset along with An app caused a problem with the default app setting for xxx...