Windows 10: Fix for canoscan toolbox unable to open file. Twain driver Windows 10

Discus and support Fix for canoscan toolbox unable to open file. Twain driver Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have been using a Canon Lide 60 with scanner Windows 7 and then Windows 10. Canoscan Toolbox and driver are installed using Troubleshoot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BonsaiGuy, Mar 22, 2019.

1. BonsaiGuy Win User

Fix for canoscan toolbox unable to open file. Twain driver Windows 10

I have been using a Canon Lide 60 with scanner Windows 7 and then Windows 10. Canoscan Toolbox and driver are installed using Troubleshoot Compatibility. But after updating to 1803 I got an error message "canoscan toolbox unable to open file".Research indicated this is related to twain driver not working with Windows 10.I accidentally fixed this when attempting to change environment variables.Go to C:Windows, open Twain32. Right click on top folder then click properties-then open sharing tab-then advanced sharing-then check share this folder.The screenshots show how to fix this.

:)

BonsaiGuy, Mar 22, 2019
  2. CalBear37 Win User

Unable to open TWAIN source

CanoScan LiDE60 yes its old but you can still buy them new. Its been working well on my new Dell XPS8700 running Windows 10 for over 6 months. Suddenly I get "Unable to open TWAIN source Please check connection Then re-start Toolbox" Unplugging and plugging the connection the computer gives the little beeps acknowledging the connection. However I still get the same error message and the associated "Toolbox" software doesn't recognize the scanner. Re-boot the computer no help. What does "fix" it is System Restore (one of Windows great features). The most recent restore point even has the same Win 10 update status so the problem doesn't seem to be an update. I checked scanner operation each day since the previous "fix" and it worked well for 3 days, now it doesn't. The scanner works fine on my 4-year old Dell XPS8100 running Windows 10 and the exact level of update.

There are no new drivers. Cannon says the scanner doesn't need a driver, its included in Win 10. I can delete the driver, reboot and the driver is back so I guess that's true.

Any suggestions about kick starting TWAIN would be appreciated.

CalBear37, Mar 22, 2019
  3. CanoScan LiDE 35 on Windows 10 x64

Hi, I've tried in vain to get my Lide 60 scanner to work with Windows 10. The scanner works with Win7 and OSX. I've followed the above instructions several times and no dice. I've tried all plugging the scanner into all my usb ports. I can't even get VueScan to recognize the scanner in Win 10. Any suggestions? Thanks.

P.S.
    I get this weird error message below, when I click "switch to" it brings up the win 10 start menu thingy then says "cannot communicate with scanner...missing twain driver"

Fix for canoscan toolbox unable to open file. Twain driver Windows 10 [​IMG]

bubblegum tate, Mar 22, 2019
  4. Fix for canoscan toolbox unable to open file. Twain driver Windows 10

Windows 10 claims my laptop needs a WIA driver for my CanoScan 8400F.

To make a long story (see below) short, where can I obtain the WIA driver that Windows 10 claims I need for my CanoScan 8400F scanner? Canon says the driver is included in Windows 10.

The long story:

In 2004 I purchased a new Canon CanoScan 8400F scanner.

In 2011 I purchased a new ASUS laptop (Intel Core i5-2410M CPU 230GHz 8GB x64-based processor) with Windows 7 pre-installed.

Using Canon's CanoScan Toolbox 4.9, the laptop and scanner communicated via USB to successfully scan photos and documents.

I never upgraded to Windows 8 or 8.1 and have no experience with those operating systems.

A few days ago I updated to Windows 10. The installation process did not remove CanoScan Toolbox 4.9.

When I tried to use CanoScan Toolbox 4.9 to scan something, ScanGear CS displayed: "Cannot communicate with scanner."

When I clicked "OK" to dismiss that message, CanoScan Toolbox displayed: "Unable to open TWAIN source."

Shutting down the laptop and restarting it did not help.

Powering down the scanner and restoring the power did not help.

For CanoScan 8400F, www.usa.canon.com displays

"There is no driver for the OS Version you selected [Windows 10 (x64)]. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver."

"Removing" CanoScan 8400F from Windows 10 and re-adding it did not help.

Eventually I discovered, installed, and tried the Windows Scan app.

Windows Scan displayed "CanoScan" under "Scanner".

When I clicked "CanoScan", Windows Scan displayed "Problem connecting to scanner. We can't find a scanner. Attach it to your PC or go to PC settings to add it."

In the "Start" menu, I clicked on "Settings".

On the "Settings" page, I clicked on "Devices".

The "DEVICES" page listed "CanoScan" among the "Printers". Why did Windows Scan tell me to add it?

I closed the "DEVICES" page, pressed Windows+x, and pressed 'P' to display the classic Control Panel.

I selected "Devices and Printers" and pressed Enter.

The first item under "Devices" was "CanoScan".

I right clicked on "CanoScan", clicked on "Scan Properties", and clicked on "Test Scanner or Camera".

The sounds from CanoScan indicated that it was moving its scanning head.

Windows 10 displayed "Test Successful Your imaging device successfully completed the diagnostic test."

Backing out to "Devices and Printers", I again right-clicked on "CanoScan" under "Devices" and clicked on "Start Scan".

Windows 10 displayed a dialog box containing an OK button and the text

"You need a WIA driver to use this device. Please install it from the installation CD or manufacturer's website and try again."

I installed the WIA driver from the Canon CD, but that did not help.

Windows 10 gave no indication as to whether the installation succeeded or failed.

The Canon CD did not indicate whether the WIA driver was x32 or x64.

Did I remove the WIA driver included in Windows 10 when I "removed" CanoScan from Windows 10? If so, how can I obtain the WIA driver again?

Thank you.

AlbinVareha, Mar 22, 2019
Thema:

Fix for canoscan toolbox unable to open file. Twain driver Windows 10

1. Fix for canoscan toolbox unable to open file. Twain driver Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Fix canoscan toolbox

2. Windows 10 TWAIN driver profile location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 TWAIN driver profile location: When I make a change to the Scan Profile of a locally connected Fujitsu fi-7160, where is that change stored user folder, registry, etc.?I spoke with Fujitsu, and they say that this is accessing the Windows TWAIN driver instead of the Fujitsu driver, so only Microsoft would...
  3. Windows 10 TWAIN driver profile location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 TWAIN driver profile location: When I make a change to the Scan Profile of a locally connected Fujitsu fi-7160, where is that change stored user folder, registry, etc.?I spoke with Fujitsu, and they say that this is accessing the Windows TWAIN driver instead of the Fujitsu driver, so only Microsoft would...
  4. Windows 10 TWAIN driver profile location

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to install TWAIN driver on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to install TWAIN driver on Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you have a scanner, you probably know about the TWAIN standard. Today, most scanning devices support TWAIN drivers so that users can enjoy a hassle-free experience while scanning the images. In this article, we will describe what TWAIN is and how you can install...
  6. update TWAIN driver

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    update TWAIN driver: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and now I can't download my cell phone pics using Microsoft Picture It Photo Premium 9. It says that the TWAIN driver is outdated. How do I fix this? I am using a Toshiba Satellite C55-A....
  7. Windows 10 TWAIN drivers and GPO (.ds file)

Windows 10 TWAIN drivers and GPO (.ds file): Hello, I was wondering if anyone run to this issue. We are having problems with installing drivers for Fujitsu scanners in our Windows 10 Enterprise environment. Looks like this might be related to our GPO policy but we can't pin point it. Here is the issue: Just...
  8. Twain Drivers

Twain Drivers: Is there a link to a location where I can download the Twain Driver for Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/twain-drivers/f45625ae-896b-431c-966e-574d27b9f9cf
  9. Twain

Twain: When I open a .jpg file, I first get this message: [img] . Is there a good web site for finding out how to do that (re-installing the Twain drivers) in Windows 10? 124680
  10. Unable to open TWAIN source

Unable to open TWAIN source: CanoScan LiDE60 yes its old but you can still buy them new. Its been working well on my new Dell XPS8700 running Windows 10 for over 6 months. Suddenly I get "Unable to open TWAIN source Please check connection Then re-start Toolbox" Unplugging and plugging the connection the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot

2. canoscan unable to select twain device

3. canoscan toolbox twain troubleshoot

4. canoscan toolbox can not communicate,
  5. how can i get the canoscan lide 60 toolbox onto my windows 10 laptop,
  6. unable to select twain source,
  7. unable to open twain source canoscan lide 60,
  8. canoscan toolbox unable to select twain source,
  9. canoscan toolbox windows 10 64 bit twain,
  10. cant select twain source on win 10,
  11. unable to detect TWAIN source,