Windows 10: Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

Discus and support Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Okay if you have just upgraded to windows 10 and are sitting at a black screen for way too long here's the problem and how to fix it. If you have an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Darkmiss, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Darkmiss Win User

Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

Okay if you have just upgraded to windows 10 and are sitting at a black screen for way too long here's the problem and how to fix it.

If you have an on board Intel graphics controller as well as an add on graphics card, windows thinks you have one more monitor connected than you actually have. so when windows loads its outputting the video signal to a bogus monitor.

How to fix this
    firstly wait long enough so the mouse cursor to appear when you move the mouse.
    (blank screen with a white mouse cursor)

Then press the space-bar and enter your login password or pin (yes your doing this blind)

You should now be logged into windows
    if the desktop dose not appear after 30 seconds then press Win+P keys, down arrow keys twice, and enter to extend display.

Display Switch - Change Presentation Mode to Project in Windows 10

I hope this helps

:)

Darkmiss, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Andre Da Costa, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jul 30, 2015
  4. drreflex Win User

THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN AN ONGOING ISSUE WITH WINDOWS 10.

Below is a Microsoft Knoledge Base entry from April of this year.

httpw://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3055414

"The lock screen in Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10061 might appear as a black screen with a mouse cursor
    Symptoms

When you sign out of Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10061 and return to the lock screen, you might see only a black screen with a responsive mouse cursor. Pressing the Alt+Tab keys or the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys has no visible effect.
    Workaround

If you are experiencing this issue, follow these steps to sign into Windows:

At the black screen, press the Ctrl key once on an attached physical keyboard. (You won’t see any visible change, but pressing the Ctrl key will place the cursor in the password box that you’re currently not able to see.)

Now type the password of the user that just signed out and press Enter.This will sign you back into Windows and the desktop will appear.

If you failed to sign in because you mistyped the password, press Enter once more. Then retype the password and press Enter." ...

PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU ARE INSTALLING WINDOWS 10. AFTER ENTERING YOUR PASSWORD, THE CURSOR SHOULD VANISH FOR SEVERAL MINUTES WHILE WINDOWS COMPLETES THE INSTALL SETUP. MY COMPUTER, A FAST ALIENWARE, TOOK ABOUT FIVE MINUTES TO COMPLETE THE SETUP AND THEN THE WINDOWS 10 DESKTOP APPEARED.

drreflex, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Darkmiss Win User
    Ahh thanks for that, I had no part in the technical previews, so I had no idea this was a thing.
    but Microsoft's page does not explain what the cause of the problem is.

I ended up reinstalling windows from USB five times until I found the solution on-line the next day.

Darkmiss, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Same problem but when you get to the black screen just tap your power button. Computer will go off then tap your power button again then Walla! Works perfect after that!*☺

garrettt67, Jul 31, 2015
  7. TexasGail Win User
    Nothing worked for me so I am having to reset the PC...huge pain in the you-know-what lol

TexasGail, Jul 31, 2015
  8. relyt80 Win User

Hello everyone, I have this. It is not a real solution but it works for not black screen appears. It works for me *Biggrin Look the answer by slance310

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...e195b13?auth=1

Please please share this if works on you.

relyt80, Aug 1, 2015
  9. TexasGail Win User
    I wish I had seen this before I reset my computer (which worked, by the way). Would have prevented having to install some of my third party apps. Oh well, at least it works!

TexasGail, Aug 1, 2015
  10. drakes Win User
    Hello Hello Guys...

just found out the problem with slow boot time & blank screen with mouse cursor u only see..

if u have an nvidia vcard.. try updating it to 353.62(latest update from nvidia for Windows10).... its now back to booting 5secs to 7secs. compared to 30secs to a minute til u see login/logon screen..

have a some problem (in my case) using laptop hp pavilion p033tx - when restarting i think it take around 20sec to boot or less.. but freshly boot only takes around 5 to 7 secs. hope Microsoft will make and update fix to this..

thx guys...

drakes, Aug 1, 2015
  11. TexasGail Win User
    I also discovered my HP Pavilion 20 AMD graphic software needed to be updated for Windows 10...it is available on AMDS website and HPs site.

TexasGail, Aug 1, 2015
  12. Bobel Win User
    I have a Dell laptop Inspiron 1750 with a Mobile Intel 4 series graphic card and I also get two black screens with cursor when rebooting. I noticed that in system manager it shows that I have a plug and play generic monitor which I don't. The only monitor I have is the laptop screen. Could this be the problem? Any idea what the solution may be?
    I remember that I had the very same problem at the very beginning with Windows 7. All suggestions are welcomed. Thanks Regards

Bobel, Aug 2, 2015
  13. stigg107 Win User

I found that if you open device manager both the onboard graphics and my graphics card were running, disabling the onboard graphics has worked for me so far, ( fingers crossed). I disabled it while in safe mode as I couldn't get the desktop to load.

stigg107, Aug 3, 2015
  14. Bobel Win User
    I get 2 black screens for 30-45 secs when rebooting which slows down process but still alllows me to have access to my desktop.
    I opened device manager and it was showing only my Mobile Intel 4 series graphic card but when I selected to show all hidden devices, it now shows me the same Intel card twice under graphic card... dual core does not justify dual card... go figure.
    Do you recommend I disable one and see what happens or continue to live with the problem until MS comes out with a fix? Thanks for your input.

Bobel, Aug 3, 2015
  15. drakes Win User
    true.. i let windows handle the update. but for Nvidia n AMD's i think we should download it on their websites.. i fixed mine.. hope it will fix urs..

drakes, Aug 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen - Similar Threads - Fix booting black

2. Trying to fix windows 10 (boots to a black screen, no login)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to fix windows 10 (boots to a black screen, no login): A friends wants me to fix their laptop, it boots to a black screen, and a moveable mouse cursor with a "loading" circle next to it, (login screen never loads) if I boot in safe mode I get a "the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer" and also doesn't load the...
  3. Windows 10 Boots to Black Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Boots to Black Screen: Hello, I installed my nvidia graphics for the nvidia nvs 3100M in my laptop, and ever since then, the computer would often boot up to the Windows logo, and show the loading circle, then it would dim and the screen would shut off. Yes, I downloaded the drivers from Nvidia's...
  4. Black screen on boot Windows 10

Black screen on boot Windows 10: Hi, I have been using a relatively old Samsung laptop as a PBX server with windows 10 without any problems for a few months now. Recently I found the machine stuck on a black screen, not responding to any inputs. I forced shutdown using the power button and tried to restart...
  5. Windows 10 black screen boot.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 black screen boot.: Hello all, I've been having some trouble with my Windows 10 desktop. It's upgraded from Windows 7 if this helps, though sadly due to my issue as described I can't get any information on the installation for you. How it works is as follows. 1.) I hold the power button. 2.)The...
  6. Windows 10 Boots to a black screen

Windows 10 Boots to a black screen: My current PC has given me tons of problems lately, all thanks to an update I plan to undo. Now it seems whenever I boot up my PC it's just a plain black screen. I can't log in, I can't do ctrl+alt+delete, I can't do anything besides stare at the black screen. I need some...
  7. Windows 10 black screen on boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 black screen on boot: Keeping things short, my pc froze hard and required a hard shutdown. It will not boot to the login screen and when booting from windows usb i have the screen simply fades to black and stays as such i have tried multiple hard resets to no avail and launching in safe mode has...
  8. Windows 10 boots to black screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 boots to black screen: Hi, I recently applied updates to my Windows 10 environment. The next time I booted, it would briefly show the Windows logo and then go to black screen. I could still login to safe mode no problems. After a week of trying different things and online advice, I stripped all...
  9. Booting to black screen - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting to black screen - Windows 10: Restarted to finish installing Windows 10 updates, booted into a black screen. Boots into a black screen now every time I try to boot into normal mode. Ran Windows 10 fine since it was released. Never had this problem before in five years of using this laptop. It boots into...
  10. Windows 10 boots to black screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 boots to black screen: Every time I power on my computer I get a black screen with a cursor. - I tried logging in blind, thinking the computer thought there was a second display, but it didn't work - I booted into a Windows 10 installation USB drive and selected "Repair Your Computer" I tried...