Windows 10: Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

Discus and support Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; many thanks for that nifty solution!!! I was about to return my OS to Win7 as I've been getting this with WIn8 and Win10 too ... Regards,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Darkmiss, Jul 30, 2015.

1. dunkie Win User

Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

many thanks for that nifty solution!!! I was about to return my OS to Win7 as I've been getting this with WIn8 and Win10 too ...

Regards,

dunkie, Aug 3, 2015
  2. stigg107 Win User

Considering you can still access your desktop, it may be worth waiting for a fix, On my pc I couldn't see opened windows, only an icon on the taskbar, as well as the blank screen problem.

stigg107, Aug 3, 2015
  3. lakiutak Win User
    this works for me...!! thanks!

Windows Key + P then down arrow once and enter

lakiutak, Aug 4, 2015
  4. Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

I have installed 353.62 driver of Nvidia. Still no luck of getting the boot time to 5-7 seconds. Still takes 30 seconds after blackout

ArreanProttay, Aug 4, 2015
  5. neciet Win User
    I was experiencing the same black screen problem after rebooting after the install. It stayed for hours as I thought it was still installing in the background. I got impatient and reset the computer by pressing on the power button. Then pressed it again to reboot, and yes! THE DISPLAY APPEARED. It really worked!

However, this seems to be just an emergency solution. I constantly get the black screen whenever I start Windows, just after the Windows logo appears. Is there a fixed solution to this?

neciet, Aug 6, 2015
  6. go into bios and disable CPU graphics function . usually titled "Dual monitor" under your graphics menus ...fixed my black screen w/ white cursor.

losthatwon, Aug 6, 2015
  7. bebbu Win User
    i have dual monitor disabled but it's the same for me (nvidia gtx 760).
    i have also change from the detection of card from auto to pci express but i have still black screen for 25 second

bebbu, Aug 6, 2015
  8. RNunez Win User

I've been trying to deal with the black screen issue for the last 2 days with no success. The Windows key + P trick hasn't had any effect. I don't have a 2nd monitor to try and resolve the "phantom screen" issue if it is in fact sending a signal to a non-existent monitor. I don't have a way to reset to the previous OS.

It wasn't my idea to update and now I'm stuck with this black screen and a cursor that can do nothing.

If anyone has any other tricks up their sleeves, I could really use the help.

RNunez, Aug 6, 2015
  9. Keldian Win User
    I had this problem as well: boot into a black screen with the cursor appearing if I move the mouse, and 20s later regular login.

Turns out Windows Update auto-installed a faulty "AMDA00 Interface" driver, which is a component in Asus motherboards, and that's what caused the hang. And you can't just uninstall the driver, because Windows keeps reinstalling it without asking, so you have to block auto device updates first (I'd already blocked auto Windows Update from the group policy editor, but that wasn't enough). That's how I solved it at first, but I ended up finding a proper driver for it. Now every reboot takes me to the desktop in less than 10 sec.

So those experiencing this problem, check the device manager for exclamation marks. And if there's nothing there, check the Windows Update history for suspicious driver installs.

For those upgrading or clean installing, disconnect the network and disable WiFi until you've done everything in your power to block auto updating. Also, it's a good idea to prepare official drivers for your hardware in advance and storing them locally, then installing them before reconnecting.

Keldian, Aug 7, 2015
  10. RNunez Win User
    That's not exactly the same issue I'm having.

I power on the pc, I get a glimpse of the boot screen, and then black. I know it's logging me in, because it's defaulting to auto-login. The cursor changes to the text cursor in the bottom left corner where the task bar is on the desktop, but other than the cursor it's just an eternally black screen. It never changes. Ever.

RNunez, Aug 7, 2015
  11. Bazz Win User
    Is this laptop or desktop problem?

12. Bazz Win User
    On-board or pci gfx could be a bios problem.

13. Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

Or you can plug in your monitor into the other monitor connection on your computer and then you will see your screen.

Computer Joe, Aug 8, 2015
  14. mitch04 Win User
    Yep Im having the same problem here.

Hi, I have been have issue when logging in everything will freeze cant input the password.. Sometimes just black screen.. I have noticed this when I Hooked my tv monitor up.. Since then I have been having issues starting the computer up.. I have to restart the computer a few times and take the tv cable out and will start ok...
    Anyone else having this issue?

Update: Sorry its not freezing.. Every time I hook up my second screen and restart I have problems.. Just Black screen in the login.. I wait for about 40 secs and get something down the bottom but hard to workout what... is the a Nvidia problem or windows 10? Really need this to be fixed.. I have to restart the computer about 3 or 4 times. maybe goto safe mode and then fixes it self up.. gotta make sure the 2nd cable is disconnected from the computer..

Have a Ge force 770 GTX

Thanks

mitch04, Aug 8, 2015
  15. JacobMetz Win User
    I just updated to the Windows 10; I have a Dell Inspiron 3520. The problem I am facing is that when I try to boot, it only has a black screen- like my computer monitor is not even working. I do not get a cursor arrow or anything. I can not start it in safe mode either.

Any suggestions?

JacobMetz, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

1. Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen - Similar Threads - Fix booting black

2. Trying to fix windows 10 (boots to a black screen, no login)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to fix windows 10 (boots to a black screen, no login): A friends wants me to fix their laptop, it boots to a black screen, and a moveable mouse cursor with a "loading" circle next to it, (login screen never loads) if I boot in safe mode I get a "the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer" and also doesn't load the...
  3. Windows 10 Boots to Black Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Boots to Black Screen: Hello, I installed my nvidia graphics for the nvidia nvs 3100M in my laptop, and ever since then, the computer would often boot up to the Windows logo, and show the loading circle, then it would dim and the screen would shut off. Yes, I downloaded the drivers from Nvidia's...
  4. Black screen on boot Windows 10

Black screen on boot Windows 10: Hi, I have been using a relatively old Samsung laptop as a PBX server with windows 10 without any problems for a few months now. Recently I found the machine stuck on a black screen, not responding to any inputs. I forced shutdown using the power button and tried to restart...
  5. Windows 10 black screen boot.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 black screen boot.: Hello all, I've been having some trouble with my Windows 10 desktop. It's upgraded from Windows 7 if this helps, though sadly due to my issue as described I can't get any information on the installation for you. How it works is as follows. 1.) I hold the power button. 2.)The...
  6. Windows 10 Boots to a black screen

Windows 10 Boots to a black screen: My current PC has given me tons of problems lately, all thanks to an update I plan to undo. Now it seems whenever I boot up my PC it's just a plain black screen. I can't log in, I can't do ctrl+alt+delete, I can't do anything besides stare at the black screen. I need some...
  7. Windows 10 black screen on boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 black screen on boot: Keeping things short, my pc froze hard and required a hard shutdown. It will not boot to the login screen and when booting from windows usb i have the screen simply fades to black and stays as such i have tried multiple hard resets to no avail and launching in safe mode has...
  8. Windows 10 boots to black screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 boots to black screen: Hi, I recently applied updates to my Windows 10 environment. The next time I booted, it would briefly show the Windows logo and then go to black screen. I could still login to safe mode no problems. After a week of trying different things and online advice, I stripped all...
  9. Booting to black screen - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting to black screen - Windows 10: Restarted to finish installing Windows 10 updates, booted into a black screen. Boots into a black screen now every time I try to boot into normal mode. Ran Windows 10 fine since it was released. Never had this problem before in five years of using this laptop. It boots into...
  10. Windows 10 boots to black screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 boots to black screen: Every time I power on my computer I get a black screen with a cursor. - I tried logging in blind, thinking the computer thought there was a second display, but it didn't work - I booted into a Windows 10 installation USB drive and selected "Repair Your Computer" I tried...