Windows 10: Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

Discus and support Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; i have dual monitor disabled but it's the same for me (nvidia gtx 760). i have also change from the detection of card from auto to pci express but i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Darkmiss, Jul 30, 2015.

1. peteyt Win User

Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

Yeah same issue with me - same card and have done exactly the same as the guy above but nothing. I do like Windows 10 but it looks like it might not have been ready for the public.

peteyt, Aug 8, 2015
  2. mizzle Win User

I have desktop computer using an old ATI Radeon HD 4800 and dual monitors. I managed to install Win 10 and it looked awesome! I then performed a restart to apply a few updates and was greeted with the blank screen with NO cursor issue.

I ended up rolling back to Win7 and since updated my drivers. Not going to upgrade until I find some solid answers as the process to upgrade and roll back is really time consuming.

mizzle, Aug 9, 2015
  3. mitch04 Win User
    does windows have a fix for this yet? patch or something?

mitch04, Aug 9, 2015
  4. mizzle Win User

Update: Installed Win 10 again, only this time it was processed through restart, during the upgrade the screen would switch between monitors so I played around with only having one monitor connected at a time, seemed to work to show the progress screen.

Eventually restarted after completing the install and was met with the same problem, unable to login. Frustrating! With some key mashing I somehow managed to force a quick-start (awake from sleep) which presented the login screen.

Not sure what that hotkey is?

mizzle, Aug 9, 2015
  5. Tartoon Win User
    Hey guys I have no idea what my password is so none of this works for me I also tried the flash drive password reset thing but nothing any help?

Tartoon, Aug 10, 2015
  6. mitch04 Win User
    Had to use windows 7 again because I couldnt get back into windows 10 anymore lol.. This needs to be fixed

mitch04, Aug 10, 2015
  7. dalchina New Member
    Aeroglass/Win 8.1 upgrade: if you were running Aeroglass on Win 8.1 and upgraded, this can lead to a black screen + mouse pointer. Uninstall Aeroglass before upgrading.

dalchina, Aug 10, 2015
  8. Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

I also have the same problem ... i have to log on with a black screen . No bios options come up when i start the computer ..... im tempted to just take it into pc world and get them to fix it

Alexneedshelp, Aug 10, 2015
  9. dalchina New Member
    Er, silly question- Did you create any precautionary disk images before upgrading to/installing Win 10?
    Will your PC boot using a boot disk (given you say you see no BIOS options)? If so, and you have the boot disk for a partition manager, can you still see your partitions/files?
    Did you install a fresh copy or upgrade?
    Whatever you do, before handing your PC to anyone else, make disk images (using a boot CD and external drive) -unless your HDD or PC is kaput- so you have a copy of any personal data. Or attach the disk to another PC and do that.... i.e. do what you can to preserve your data.

dalchina, Aug 10, 2015
  10. bostjanv Win User
    Hello,
    I'm answering this message because it solved my problem "halfway", and I'm interested if you have any idea how to solve it completely.

My computer is a Lenovo T500 with an ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 video adapter. After upgrade to Windows 10 it worked "sort of" (I had the black screen problem, but I could get it to work after I put it to sleep, and then woke it up). However, after installing the first update for Windows 10 I got this "black screen plus cursor" problem. The solution that is mentioned in your post in my case solves the problem only half way (Ctrl+password; Space+password is also fine) in that I get the desktop, but it is completely empty. I only get the background picture, start menu, and the taskbar, but none of the icons that I had placed on my desktop. When I select a program (e.g. Cmd), I see that it is activated since it appears in the taskbar, but it does not appear on the desktop. Initially, I thought that my original stuff had been placed on another virtual desktop so I used the shortcut Win+Ctrl+Left to switch virtual desktops, but it turned there was no other virtual desktop. So where did my original icons disappear to, and where are the windows that I am activating? Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards,

bostjanv, Aug 13, 2015
  11. bostjanv Win User
    Hello,
    Just to terminate my communication: it turns out my problem had quite a simple solution, it was necessary only to set BIOS to "discreet graphics only".
    Regards,

bostjanv, Aug 13, 2015
  12. Nobobby Win User
    I have this same issue. Windows 10 was installed and was working fine on my laptop and then one day, black screen without a cursor or anything. I can only power the unit off and on, but with nothing other than a black screen I can't do anything. Tried the "ctrl-password" step but nothing. Nothing on the keyboard has any effect, I can only do a hard power off/on.

The only thing I can think of, all had been working fine when my battery died. My laptop automatically shut down and went to blank (not black) screen. I plugged it in for a while to charge but ever since then, I can power on, I hear the harddrive spin and the fan comes on, but I never get anything other than a black screen. Did your problem start after a power issue?

Nobobby, Aug 16, 2015
  13. SpeccsOps Win User

I REGISTERED FOR THIS FORUM JUST TO TELL YOU THAT YOU ARE A HERO. I even rang up Microsoft and they told me to leave my computer for 3-4 hours because the display might have stopped whilst it was installing. I tried your fix after an hour and BAM it works. I love you.

SpeccsOps, Aug 17, 2015
  14. Ryder88 Win User
    Hi,

Mine is an ACER Aspire E1-431 and I have a black screen without mouse after booting from windows 10 all i can do is power on and off nothing else.

Any ideas on how to resolved my issues?

Ryder88, Aug 17, 2015
  15. Ryder88 Win User
    Thank guys i already solved my issues with regards to the black screen without mouse after a windows 10 upgrade from windows 7.

Ryder88, Aug 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen - Similar Threads - Fix booting black

2. Trying to fix windows 10 (boots to a black screen, no login)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to fix windows 10 (boots to a black screen, no login): A friends wants me to fix their laptop, it boots to a black screen, and a moveable mouse cursor with a "loading" circle next to it, (login screen never loads) if I boot in safe mode I get a "the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer" and also doesn't load the...
  3. Windows 10 Boots to Black Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Boots to Black Screen: Hello, I installed my nvidia graphics for the nvidia nvs 3100M in my laptop, and ever since then, the computer would often boot up to the Windows logo, and show the loading circle, then it would dim and the screen would shut off. Yes, I downloaded the drivers from Nvidia's...
  4. Black screen on boot Windows 10

Black screen on boot Windows 10: Hi, I have been using a relatively old Samsung laptop as a PBX server with windows 10 without any problems for a few months now. Recently I found the machine stuck on a black screen, not responding to any inputs. I forced shutdown using the power button and tried to restart...
  5. Windows 10 black screen boot.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 black screen boot.: Hello all, I've been having some trouble with my Windows 10 desktop. It's upgraded from Windows 7 if this helps, though sadly due to my issue as described I can't get any information on the installation for you. How it works is as follows. 1.) I hold the power button. 2.)The...
  6. Windows 10 Boots to a black screen

Windows 10 Boots to a black screen: My current PC has given me tons of problems lately, all thanks to an update I plan to undo. Now it seems whenever I boot up my PC it's just a plain black screen. I can't log in, I can't do ctrl+alt+delete, I can't do anything besides stare at the black screen. I need some...
  7. Windows 10 black screen on boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 black screen on boot: Keeping things short, my pc froze hard and required a hard shutdown. It will not boot to the login screen and when booting from windows usb i have the screen simply fades to black and stays as such i have tried multiple hard resets to no avail and launching in safe mode has...
  8. Windows 10 boots to black screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 boots to black screen: Hi, I recently applied updates to my Windows 10 environment. The next time I booted, it would briefly show the Windows logo and then go to black screen. I could still login to safe mode no problems. After a week of trying different things and online advice, I stripped all...
  9. Booting to black screen - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting to black screen - Windows 10: Restarted to finish installing Windows 10 updates, booted into a black screen. Boots into a black screen now every time I try to boot into normal mode. Ran Windows 10 fine since it was released. Never had this problem before in five years of using this laptop. It boots into...
  10. Windows 10 boots to black screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 boots to black screen: Every time I power on my computer I get a black screen with a cursor. - I tried logging in blind, thinking the computer thought there was a second display, but it didn't work - I booted into a Windows 10 installation USB drive and selected "Repair Your Computer" I tried...