Windows 10: Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

Discus and support Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After upgrading it is too late. This is what worked for mw: You have to restore windows 10 to original state while keeping your documents and programs.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Darkmiss, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

After upgrading it is too late. This is what worked for mw: You have to restore windows 10 to original state while keeping your documents and programs. Next, download at this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 and follow instructions. Make sure to hide any Nvidia driver installations. Reboot and the problem will be solved. The only drawback is that you will have to reinstall your apps and programs but you will never have black screen issues again. You will need to avoid installations of Nvidia video drivers

Aquila1607, Aug 19, 2015
  2. maximo70 Win User

Hi,

I have HP Pavillion DV6 6010el with AMD Radeon HD 6490M 1GB, processor is INTEL i5-2410M 2.3Ghz, RAm 8GB.
    My problem is the black screen for about 1 minute, then Win10 is working normally.

In the "Device Manager" I have 2 Video Card:
    1) "AMD Radeon HD 7400M" (last Win 10 driver from AMD for my Video Card)
    2) "Intel HD Graphic 3000"
    If i disable one of the 2 video card, Windows 10 starts in 10sec, but without HD resolution, I mean with 1024x768, not HD.
    My question: is it normal to have 2 Video Card in "Device Manager"?
    The Intel HD Graphic was installed by Windows 10 Update.

Thanks!

maximo70, Aug 19, 2015
  3. If you have not upgraded to Windows 10 yet, then you need to keep just one video card so uninstall the others. Then when you finish the upgrade process you still need to download the windows app https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 to hide any 2nd party automatic installations of video cards which are not associated with your primary video card. You can always download a second video card after you are certain that Windows 10 boots normally (although personaly I would stick with one). That's what worked for me and I have a Dell Laptop with Intel Core i5-4200U @ 1.80Ghz and 6gb of RAM and an Intel HD Graphics Family video card.

Hope that helps

Aquila1607, Aug 19, 2015
  4. maximo70 Win User

Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

I uninstalled video card AMD and now I have this situation in Device Manager:

1) "Intel HD Graphic 3000"
    2) "Microsoft Basic Board" with yellow alert

Windows boots up in 10 seconds and in HD resolution, but anyway it's not using the right driver of the video card AMD.
    What to do? Leave it works like this?

I tried to use windows app you wrote, but I wasn't able to solve the problem.

Thank you!

maximo70, Aug 19, 2015
  5. This worked for my post boot black screen (no cursor) issue. It's a workaround rather than a fix but I think we're dependant on Intel releasing an upgraded driver to fix the issue properly.
    My Asus X53E laptop is using the i7 2670QM CPU with integrated Intel Graphics HD 3000 CPU.
    After boot up allow 30 seconds or so for the machine to boot to login screen (although the screen will appear blank). When disk activity lessens put the machine to sleep (on my laptop: Fn + F1). Once machine power led goes off, switch the machine back on. It should wake up with the display on.

Win10warrior, Aug 20, 2015
  6. vcazevedo Win User
    Hey, I had the same problem. No way I could even do anything inside the black screen error. I did some verifications on the event logger in windows safe mode, and it seems that some general exceptions were being thrown by Explorer.exe. So my guess is that along with driver problems, something got corrupted along the way.

What did the trick for me was re-installing the whole system into a new drive. I just happen to have a fresh SSD drive waiting for a windows installation, but maybe just fresh reinstalling the whole bazinga (not with the windows recovery tool, but a fresh usb installation), might work. You could follow this: Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials for how to create a usb Win 10 installation disk. You could also use this disk to perform a system repair (after booting up from the USB, select system repair after selecting the language).

Hope it helps!

vcazevedo, Aug 20, 2015
  7. ksdixon Win User
    Great. Randomly got this black screen thing out of the blue today, reset the pc but kept files. Cue windows 10 not being activated, probably because I had a tech preview product key and win10 is now publicly available. Now trying to reset pc from my win8 USB recovery stick, bit it says it's "targeting win10 os", so I don't have high hopes about this either.

ksdixon, Aug 21, 2015
  8. Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

So I did the the WindowsButton-p down arrow twice and enter and it just deleted the cursor

MattIsBoss, Aug 21, 2015
  9. Smike Win User
    The following settings in my laptop (I7, Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
    /AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series) ) significantly reduced the boot time:

Change the EnableULPS in the register from 1 to 0, as described here
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...4-2e56692c1c53, then reload the window.

Open Catalyst on the Switchable Graphics Global Setting tab, you will have the option "Allow additional power-setting", uncheck and apply the changes.

I hope that the next time you reboot the system you want.

In my case, the time of appearance of the window lock takes 24 seconds.

Smike, Aug 22, 2015
  10. I fixed this (and the dual-boot GUI not showing on startup) by disabling Win10's fast startup. This uses hibernation to start W10 faster but with this disabled the problem went away for me. (Win10 Pro and win7).

But then I started to have the dual-boot GUI not showing at times which auto-booted into W10 by default. The answer was to dual-boot using my other o/s Windows 7. This uses a legacy dual-boot interface (app is Dual-Boot Pro) rather than the nicer mouse-driven dual-boot display but it is more reliable as long as I set default to Win7.

Hope Microsoft fix this as I do not intend to transfer my computer life from Windows 7 until Windows 10 has become stable and reliable (6 months?).

squawksarah, Aug 22, 2015
  11. Hi all,
    I have had the same problem, system installed okay but on first reboot after the install, I just got a blank screen with the mouse cursor. After several reinstalls finally realised that if I left the system long enough the system goes to the log-on screen. Then I reduced the screen time-out to 1 minutes - hey presto, when I start up now when I get the blank screen I wait until the screen times out and then click on the screen to get the log-on screen.

Not ideal but at least it means that I can use my PC with confidence again.

ChrisAtWitherhl, Aug 25, 2015
  12. I just got finished having this problem. Here's what i did. I enabled the "Hidden Administrator" account, then logged in as the Administrator. I went to the user control, created a new user with Admin privileges, then deleted the previous one. I rebooted and logged in with the newly created account and it works. It sounds like the user profile was corrupted somehow.

ukcatsfan83, Sep 1, 2015
  13. Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

I have a laptop with dual graphics (Intel and NVIDIA), and also a hybrid drive (SSD and HDD). After much effort, the problem has been fixed with the latest NVIDIA drivers (their new NVIDIA Experience app makes it easier to stay updated) AND this procedure:

Driver - Uninstall in Windows

1. Go to Device Manager
    2. Open System Devices
    3. Double-Click Intel Management Engine Interface
    4. Click Driver tab
    5. Click Uninstall
    6. Reboot
    7. Repeat Steps 1-4, then click Update Driver
    8. Let windows find the driver
    9. Reboot
    10. Enjoy sub-10-second bootups (until some update breaks it again, whereupon you repeat steps 1-9).

Hopefully this will fix it for others -- please post your results.

pushculture, Sep 2, 2015
  14. Excellent, that has negated the requirement for me to have to put the PC to sleep and then wake it after starting the PC in order to be able to see the screen, The Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver is still failing to load properly but one step at a time. *Smile Many thanks.

Win10warrior, Sep 2, 2015
  15. bebbu Win User
Thema:

Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

1. Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen - Similar Threads - Fix booting black

2. Trying to fix windows 10 (boots to a black screen, no login)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to fix windows 10 (boots to a black screen, no login): A friends wants me to fix their laptop, it boots to a black screen, and a moveable mouse cursor with a "loading" circle next to it, (login screen never loads) if I boot in safe mode I get a "the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer" and also doesn't load the...
  3. Windows 10 Boots to Black Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Boots to Black Screen: Hello, I installed my nvidia graphics for the nvidia nvs 3100M in my laptop, and ever since then, the computer would often boot up to the Windows logo, and show the loading circle, then it would dim and the screen would shut off. Yes, I downloaded the drivers from Nvidia's...
  4. Black screen on boot Windows 10

Black screen on boot Windows 10: Hi, I have been using a relatively old Samsung laptop as a PBX server with windows 10 without any problems for a few months now. Recently I found the machine stuck on a black screen, not responding to any inputs. I forced shutdown using the power button and tried to restart...
  5. Windows 10 black screen boot.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 black screen boot.: Hello all, I've been having some trouble with my Windows 10 desktop. It's upgraded from Windows 7 if this helps, though sadly due to my issue as described I can't get any information on the installation for you. How it works is as follows. 1.) I hold the power button. 2.)The...
  6. Windows 10 Boots to a black screen

Windows 10 Boots to a black screen: My current PC has given me tons of problems lately, all thanks to an update I plan to undo. Now it seems whenever I boot up my PC it's just a plain black screen. I can't log in, I can't do ctrl+alt+delete, I can't do anything besides stare at the black screen. I need some...
  7. Windows 10 black screen on boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 black screen on boot: Keeping things short, my pc froze hard and required a hard shutdown. It will not boot to the login screen and when booting from windows usb i have the screen simply fades to black and stays as such i have tried multiple hard resets to no avail and launching in safe mode has...
  8. Windows 10 boots to black screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 boots to black screen: Hi, I recently applied updates to my Windows 10 environment. The next time I booted, it would briefly show the Windows logo and then go to black screen. I could still login to safe mode no problems. After a week of trying different things and online advice, I stripped all...
  9. Booting to black screen - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting to black screen - Windows 10: Restarted to finish installing Windows 10 updates, booted into a black screen. Boots into a black screen now every time I try to boot into normal mode. Ran Windows 10 fine since it was released. Never had this problem before in five years of using this laptop. It boots into...
  10. Windows 10 boots to black screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 boots to black screen: Every time I power on my computer I get a black screen with a cursor. - I tried logging in blind, thinking the computer thought there was a second display, but it didn't work - I booted into a Windows 10 installation USB drive and selected "Repair Your Computer" I tried...