Windows 10: Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

Discus and support Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Okay if you have just upgraded to windows 10 and are sitting at a black screen for way too long here's the problem and how to fix it. If you have an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Darkmiss, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Angie Win User

Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

I couldn't quite get the instructions for this fix at first but figured it out eventually and it worked! I tried the other solutions as well but none of them worked. This was the one that worked. Let me just re-word here so others may understand as well:

Display Switch - Change Presentation Mode to Project in Windows 10 Windows 10 Hardware Drivers Tutorials

1. Press the windows key on the keyboard
    2. Then press the "P" key (Do not hit the "-" key. That's what I thought the instructions were saying or telling me to hold the windows key at the same time as the "P" key because of "WindowsKey-P")
    3. Then press the down arrow twice and hit enter

All keys are pressed separately and not at once.

Thank you so much for the help!!

Angie, Oct 20, 2015
  2. Aiatedu Win User

I installed the windows 10. Worked fine and inshut down sleot off. Woke up in the morning met with black screen white cursor. Have tried everything. Tried this Windows Key + P then down arrow once and enter it bring narrator without still a place to log in. Tired

Aiatedu, Oct 20, 2015
  3. Hi
    I'm having this weird problem with Win10 Build 10565. After windows boots my screen starts flashing on and off and closing everything I try to open.
    Here is a short video: Windows10 problem - YouTube

Metalzadeh, Oct 25, 2015
  4. arg0r Win User

I'm also having this problem trying to upgrade from Windows 8. I can't get into safe mode (same issue there), however I have been able to access the recovery console and alter the registry so that I'm able to use Windows as the SYSTEM user, with some limitations. Any ideas on how I could continue from there? If I try to access the login screen by any means I simply go back to the black screen with a cursor. Windows key + P is not helping.

arg0r, Oct 25, 2015
  5. lauried4 Win User
    I tried all the suggestions in this thread, my Toshiba laptop started with no boot screen, black screen and cursor only. Tried 'blind' login as suggested in this thread, looked like it was going to the desktop, but still nothing. I tried ctrl-p down arrow, down arrow. Then powered off, then held ctrl and F10 down while powering on, and this worked, it went to an orange screen and loaded stuff before going to login screen, no probs since.

lauried4, Nov 1, 2015
  6. I also have the same problem

Pratyush Dhingr, Nov 9, 2015
  7. bebbu Win User
    Hello!

With the new update (big fall update) the black screen it's fixed?

bebbu, Nov 12, 2015
  8. Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen

HELL NO ! Total BSOD for 7.5 minutes and then it boots. Mouse functions are screwed up as well. MS sux the big one.

Davidparis, Nov 12, 2015
  9. shakurban Win User
    Exactly what i do too

shakurban, Nov 13, 2015
  10. you call that a solution?

Davidparis, Nov 13, 2015
  11. shakurban Win User
    After you power your system,wait for a while to boot then press the power button once and after 10secs press the power button again and see if the screen will come up

shakurban, Nov 13, 2015
  12. shakurban Win User
    since no other option,remain the best solution for me

shakurban, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen - Similar Threads - Fix booting black

2. Trying to fix windows 10 (boots to a black screen, no login)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to fix windows 10 (boots to a black screen, no login): A friends wants me to fix their laptop, it boots to a black screen, and a moveable mouse cursor with a "loading" circle next to it, (login screen never loads) if I boot in safe mode I get a "the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer" and also doesn't load the...
  3. Windows 10 Boots to Black Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Boots to Black Screen: Hello, I installed my nvidia graphics for the nvidia nvs 3100M in my laptop, and ever since then, the computer would often boot up to the Windows logo, and show the loading circle, then it would dim and the screen would shut off. Yes, I downloaded the drivers from Nvidia's...
  4. Black screen on boot Windows 10

Black screen on boot Windows 10: Hi, I have been using a relatively old Samsung laptop as a PBX server with windows 10 without any problems for a few months now. Recently I found the machine stuck on a black screen, not responding to any inputs. I forced shutdown using the power button and tried to restart...
  5. Windows 10 black screen boot.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 black screen boot.: Hello all, I've been having some trouble with my Windows 10 desktop. It's upgraded from Windows 7 if this helps, though sadly due to my issue as described I can't get any information on the installation for you. How it works is as follows. 1.) I hold the power button. 2.)The...
  6. Windows 10 Boots to a black screen

Windows 10 Boots to a black screen: My current PC has given me tons of problems lately, all thanks to an update I plan to undo. Now it seems whenever I boot up my PC it's just a plain black screen. I can't log in, I can't do ctrl+alt+delete, I can't do anything besides stare at the black screen. I need some...
  7. Windows 10 black screen on boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 black screen on boot: Keeping things short, my pc froze hard and required a hard shutdown. It will not boot to the login screen and when booting from windows usb i have the screen simply fades to black and stays as such i have tried multiple hard resets to no avail and launching in safe mode has...
  8. Windows 10 boots to black screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 boots to black screen: Hi, I recently applied updates to my Windows 10 environment. The next time I booted, it would briefly show the Windows logo and then go to black screen. I could still login to safe mode no problems. After a week of trying different things and online advice, I stripped all...
  9. Booting to black screen - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting to black screen - Windows 10: Restarted to finish installing Windows 10 updates, booted into a black screen. Boots into a black screen now every time I try to boot into normal mode. Ran Windows 10 fine since it was released. Never had this problem before in five years of using this laptop. It boots into...
  10. Windows 10 boots to black screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 boots to black screen: Every time I power on my computer I get a black screen with a cursor. - I tried logging in blind, thinking the computer thought there was a second display, but it didn't work - I booted into a Windows 10 installation USB drive and selected "Repair Your Computer" I tried...