Windows 10: Fix Not enough disk space – Steam error on Windows 10

Discus and support Fix Not enough disk space – Steam error on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Some PC users may encounter the error message Not enough disk space when they try to install more Steam games on their Windows 10 computer. If you are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Mar 9, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Fix Not enough disk space – Steam error on Windows 10

Some PC users may encounter the error message Not enough disk space when they try to install more Steam games on their Windows 10 computer. If you are affected by this issue as well, you can try the solutions provided in this post to promptly resolve the issue.

Fix Not enough disk space – Steam error on Windows 10 Not-enough-disk-space-Steam-error.jpg

Not enough disk space – Steam error

If you’re faced with this issue, you can try our recommended solutions below in no particular order and see if that helps to resolve the issue.

1. Restart computer
    2. Run Disk Cleanup
    3. Clear Steam Download cache
    4. Run CHKDSK
    5. Change the Path of Installation
    6. Install the game to an external drive
    7. Grant Administrator Access to Steam
    8. Resize or Extend Partition

Let’s take a look at the description of the process involved concerning each of the listed solutions.

1] Restart computer

Steam’s client updates itself very frequently, and some updates configure the core of the Steam client. Conflicts can occur when the third-party software and Steam are both running. In this case, restarting the computer can resolve the Not enough disk space – Steam error.

2] Run Disk Cleanup

Since we are dealing with insufficient disk space, it’s practical to run Disk Cleanup and see if that helps.

Read: Steam stuck on Allocating disk space.

3] Clear Steam Download cache

Disk Cleanup on Windows 10 might not include Steam download cache and this folder could potentially have excessive download data present. In this case, you can manually clear the Steam download cache. Here’s how:

• Launch your Steam in admin mode.
    • Once in the client, click on Steam at the top left corner of the screen.
    • From the drop-down box, click on Settings.
    • Once in the Settings, navigate to the Downloads tab.
    • Click the Clear Download Cache option.
    • Click OK on the prompt to confirm your action. Wait for the process to complete.
    • When done, save changes and exit the client.

If the issue persists, try the next solution.

4] Run CHKDSK

If the hard drive has some bad sectors, this error could be triggered. In this case, run CHKDSK and see if it resolves the issue.

To run CHKDSK, do the following:

• Press Windows key + R to invoke the Run dialog.
    • In the Run dialog box, type cmd and then press CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER to open Command Prompt in admin/elevated mode.
    • In the command prompt window, type the command below and hit Enter.

chkdsk /x /f /r

You will receive the following message:

CHKDSK cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N).
    • Tap Y key on the keyboard and then reboot your computer to let CHKDSK check and fix the errors on the computer hard drive.

After CHKDSK completes, check to see if the issue is resolved.

5] Change the Path of Installation

To change the path of installation for the Steam client on your Windows 10 device, do the following:

• Launch your Steam in admin mode.
    • Once in the client, click on Steam at the top left corner of the screen.
    • From the drop-down box, click on Settings.
    • Once in the Settings, navigate to the Downloads tab.
    • Click Steam Library Folders.
    • Click Add Library Folder. You will be prompted to select a drive. It is highly recommended to select a different one from where you were initially installing the program.
    • After selecting the drive, create a new folder and name it.
    • Click OK and select the new directory.
    • Next, go to the Steam store to download and install a game.
    • At the prompt that appears, select the new folder/directory you just created. The games will now download.
    • After the download, try the installation and see if the issue is resolved.
    6] Install the game to an external drive

Another viable solution is to download and install games on a portable drive. It is also possible that your internal disk drive may have insufficient storage space or have several sectors and Steam might be unable to install the game. In this case, you can follow the instructions on Solution 5] above to create a folder and select it as a valid path, then head over to the Steam store and download and install the game on the new location/portable drive.

7] Grant Administrator Access to Steam

In the scenario whereby Steam does not have enough administrator access to make amendments, you may encounter this error because Steam cannot determine how much space is available on the hard drive.

To grant admin access to the Steam client on your Windows 10 device, do the following:

Once done, see if the issue is resolved. If not, try the next solution.

8] Resize or Extend Partition

If freeing up disk space is not enough in this situation and you don’t want the option of installing to an external drive but you have multiple drive setup on your computer, you can try to resize or extend the partition.

Hope this helps!

Related post: Fix Steam App Configuration Missing or Not available error.

Fix Not enough disk space – Steam error on Windows 10 Not-enough-disk-space-Steam-error.jpg
    This article Fix Not enough disk space – Steam error on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Mar 9, 2021

2. low disk space error

I got lost after "Policies".I couldn't find Explorer.There's no low disk space checks.When I back click,there's no Advanced .I have an HP19 desktop with Windows 10 installed.Drive
    D is the recovery drive.

low disk space error

I have a HP19 desktop.I keep getting an error that says low disk space on the recovery d drive.How do you fix this?How do you free up space or prevent the message from showing up ?This is what I did and I got lost:

I got lost after "Policies".I couldn't find Explorer.There's no low disk space checks.When I back click,there's no Advanced .I have an HP19 desktop with Windows 10 installed.Drive
    D is the recovery drive.

NATALIA1040, Mar 9, 2021
  3. Low Disk Space error

Hi,

I suggest you to delete the unwanted applications or games installed on the device and also perform a Disk Cleanup.

In order to delete the games or applications, which has been downloaded from the Windows Store you need to right click on the game and select
    Uninstall option from the Start menu.

If the games that you are downloaded are .exe or the applications which are not downloaded from the Windows Store, you may try deleting it from the Control panel.

To do so, please follow the below steps.

• Right Click on Start Menu.
    • Open Control Panel.
    • Click Programs.
    • Click Programs and Features.
    • Click on the programs that you would like to uninstall.
    I suggest you to try the steps in the following article to free up space and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/free-up-drive-space

Also, refer to the Wiki Article created by
    Andre Da Costa
    from the below link:

How to free up disk space in Windows

How to free up disk space in Windows

Hope it helps. Revert to us with the results, will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan Babu ER, Mar 9, 2021
  4. Fix Not enough disk space – Steam error on Windows 10

Low Disk Space error

I have followed all the steps suggested & the problem is not resolved. How can I do the anniversary update with a USB stick. (I have an SSD laptop with limited space & I have no games installed).

PaulaBryder, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

Fix Not enough disk space – Steam error on Windows 10

1. Fix Not enough disk space – Steam error on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Fix enough disk

2. Received "not enough disk space" error with 4TB of space???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Received "not enough disk space" error with 4TB of space???: I am receiving a message that states, "not enough disk space" error message number 0x80780119, I just purchased a 4TB HDD. How is that not enough space??? I formatted it to use NTFS, I did a quick format because I tried to use a regular format and it ran on and on and never...
  3. Received "not enough disk space" error with 4TB of space???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Received "not enough disk space" error with 4TB of space???: I am receiving a message that states, "not enough disk space" error message number 0x80780119, I just purchased a 4TB HDD. How is that not enough space??? I formatted it to use NTFS, I did a quick format because I tried to use a regular format and it ran on and on and never...
  4. "There is not enough space on Windows" error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "There is not enough space on Windows" error: I am trying to transfer a large number of photos from my wife's iCloud to a 2TB storage drive D: on my computer. Based on the properties of the D: drive, I currently have 1.64TB of free space in the drive:But when I go to move 30TB of data from iCloud to D: I am getting an...
  5. Not enough disk space for Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not enough disk space for Windows update: Hi,I'm using Widows 10 64 bit on a Surface Pro2. I don't have enough disk space for Windows Update. I've connected an external disk but Windows Update doesn't see it. What can I do?Best regards...
  6. Not enough disk space for Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not enough disk space for Windows update: Hi,I'm using Widows 10 64 bit on a Surface Pro2. I don't have enough disk space for Windows Update. I've connected an external disk but Windows Update doesn't see it. What can I do?Best regards...
  7. Not enough disk space for Windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Fix Steam stuck on Allocating disk space on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Steam stuck on Allocating disk space on Windows 10: Some PC users when installing a game through the Steam client on their Windows 10 device, may notice they are stuck on the Allocating disk space screen. If you are experiencing a similar issue as well, you can try the solutions provided in this post to promptly resolve the...
  9. Not enough disk space to update windows 10

Not enough disk space to update windows 10: I am trying to update to windows 10 on a laptop with 32GB and I keep getting the not enough disk space error. Several articles and forums talk about a button that gives you the option to use an external drive, but the Windows 10 update assistant doesn't have that button. It...
  10. not enough disk space.

not enough disk space.: I am trying to update windows 10 but it tells me I do not have enough disk space. I have added a flash driver and a sdhc but still says not enough disk space....