Windows 10: Fix nslookup works but ping fails in Windows 10

Discus and support Fix nslookup works but ping fails in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] When querying the IP address of a website, if your nslookup works, but ping fails on Windows 10 PC, then there can be many reasons for that.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Oct 29, 2018.

1. WinClub New Member

Fix nslookup works but ping fails in Windows 10

WinClub, Oct 29, 2018
  2. KenfordOS Win User

ping doesn't resolve hostname, but nslookup does

When PING doesn't work, the tracert doesn't work either, only nslookup works. So ping and tracert are both blocked by ICMP? Not sure how we can fix it. Thank you!

KenfordOS, Oct 29, 2018
  3. NSLOOKUP and PING do not match

I read many articles about the different results between nslookup and ping, but I somehow feel I do not fit in any of the explanations.

Scenario: Windows 10 (latest updates) connected to a corporate VPN via SSTP. The VPN connection is configured to suffix the corporate domain on the DNS queries (but on my tests I experimented removing and adding this). My hosts file is empty,
    except the comments that comes by default. I did a flushdns just before the commands.

On the server side there is a corporate webserver with specific rules when the connection originates from the internal LAN (or VPN) or from the WAN. The correct behavior was already observed in the past, so this "works". Next steps is experimenting other
    machines.

Use Case:

• With the VPN connected, nslookup will use the LAN's Default Server and not my ISP DNS -> OK
    • NSLOOKUP a certain fully qualified host name will give me it's internal LAN address -> OK
    • PING the same fully qualified host name will give me the public WAN address of the corporate domain -> Not OK, unless the VPN is disconnected, in that case de results would be OK.

Opening a browser with the same fully qualified host name goes into the WAN access limited page (load balancer rules detecting the origin remote address), although the client host (my PC) is in the LAN via VPN. Using chrome's "net-internal" page I see the
    browser is resolving the WAN address instead of the LAN address (item 2 above).

Again, I know ping and nslookup do not resolve names exactly in the same manner, but there is no DNS cache and the hosts file is clean, I would still expect ping to resolve the internal LAN address in this case.

Any ideas on further troubleshoot why the browsers seems to be resolving the names incorrectly?

Note; It may be me, but this latest windows 10 upgrade/update seems to have broken the network. Just a gut feeling from some glitches in the last weeks.

Luis Cordeiro, Oct 29, 2018
  4. vmelling Win User

DNS errors - nslookup works but ping doesn't after Windows 10 upgrade

I have various dns issues in my browsers. In testing, I have discovered that nslookup ALWAYS works but ping doesn't.

There are older Google results that suggest disabling ipv6 - but there does not appear to be ipv4 in Windows 10

ipconfig /flushdns cleared the problem but then it came back and I don't want to be jumping into the command prompt every 5 minutes

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Vincent

vmelling, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

1. Fix nslookup works but ping fails in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Fix nslookup works

2. DNS NSlookup Debugging question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS NSlookup Debugging question: I have been searching the internet and have not found the answer to my question and I don't know if this is the correct location to ask it. BUT when you are using the exhaustive debugging set d2 option of nslookup, it seems to omit information? Either that or I don't know how...
  3. NsLookup process prevents sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NsLookup process prevents sleep: To put it short: After the newest Windows 10 Update for some reason my Laptop cannot go to sleep.Tried using the Power options, did not work out but when I check using powercfg command, I found...
  4. How to fix ping spikes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix ping spikes: Hello,This is my first ever post so I'm not exactly sure how it works, but hopefully it will turn out good. Anyways, I've been getting massive ping spikes every 2 minutes or so, which is extremely annoying when playing video games. The ping spike lasted for about 3 second in...
  5. Ping Transmit failed General failure error in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Ping Transmit failed General failure error in Windows 10: Ping, Transmit failed, General failure error occurs at times in Windows 10 while performing the Ping Command. It is an extremely useful tool to diagnose connection problems and to verify that a computer can communicate over the network with another computer or network device....
  6. Windows 10 Ping Stops Working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Ping Stops Working: Hi. I rely on the ping capability to check network/ISP health. I utilize a Windows-based tool to automate the process. It seems that the pinging capability will cease functioning in the tool as well as via the CMD line. A reboot of the system restores the capability. Why does...
  7. how to fix ping transmit failed,general failure?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to fix ping transmit failed,general failure?: [ATTACH] my internet was ok before, but after we change video card and reformat the pc, it was getting disconnected only in my PC, hope you can help me fix this, in using windows 10 latest version...
  8. NSLOOKUP PROBLEM

NSLOOKUP PROBLEM: Hi everyone, I have an F5 DNS, I have configured his listeners ..... he resolves all URL asked with NSLOOKUP except the client URL he returns the IP of F5 listener when I do a nslookup -debug URL or nslookup -type=soa URL, it shows the right canonical name, to be sure that...
  9. network lookup not working properly can find server via nslookup put not ping it

network lookup not working properly can find server via nslookup put not ping it: network lookup not working properly can find server via nslookup put not ping it I can ping a server via ip but not via FQDN but nslookup is providing the right IP for FQDN can not map a network share via FQDN fluhsed DNS already any ieas? Thanks...
  10. NSLOOKUP for local IPv6 devices fails

NSLOOKUP for local IPv6 devices fails: I'm trying to determine if I have a problem with a router or have run into a Windows peculiarity. If I do an NSLOOKUP for IPv4 addresses of devices on my LAN I get the addresses returned If I query the IPv6 addresses (NSLOOKUP -query=AAAA ...) I get "*** No IPv6 address...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 nslookup

2. nslookup works ping doesnt windows 10

3. windows nsloolup eorks ping doesnt

4. windows laptop refresh nslookup,
  5. windows 10 nslookup not working,
  6. ping not ok nslookup ok windows,
  7. nslookup not working windows 10,
  8. edge works ping does not,
  9. ping not resolving but nslookup,
  10. windows 10 nslookup works but ping doesnt,
  11. nslookup not working on windows 10,