Windows 10: Fix "Optimization Not Available" in Optimize Drives in Windows

Discus and support Fix "Optimization Not Available" in Optimize Drives in Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft's Windows operating system runs maintenance tasks including disk analysis and defragmention regularly on its own. Most Windows users and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 1, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Fix "Optimization Not Available" in Optimize Drives in Windows

Microsoft's Windows operating system runs maintenance tasks including disk analysis and defragmention regularly on its own.

Most Windows users and administrators don't need to run these manually anymore, but there are cases where you'd like to do so.

I checked Optimize Drives recently and discovered that Windows refused to run on two of the hard drives. Windows displayed "Optimization not available" as the status, "unknown" as the media type, and "never run" as the last run date and time.

You can access the Optimize Drives tool by right-clicking on a drive in Explorer, selecting Properties from the context menu, and opening Tools > Optimize.

Fix "Optimization Not Available" in Optimize Drives in Windows optimization-not-available.png

The analyze and optimize buttons could not be used in the window as they were not active. My first assumption was that this might have something to do with encryption, as both volumes were encrypted and only mounted when I needed to access data on them.

Two solutions came to my mind: try the command line version of defrag to see if it would work, or use third-party defragmentation software like Smart Defrag, Vopt, Defraggler or Live Defrag. I decided to try the command line tool defrag first as it is a first-party solution.

Fixing the "Optimization not available" issue

Fix "Optimization Not Available" in Optimize Drives in Windows defrag-optimize-drives.png

You need to launch an elevated command prompt to get started. If you are on Windows 10, use the shortcut Windows-X to display the "hidden" menu and select Command Prompt (Admin). You may also open Start on any version of Windows, type cmd.exe, right-click on the result, and select run as administrator to launch an elevated command prompt window.

The core command is defrag and you may want to start running defrag /? to display all command options. Microsoft has a handy reference on the company's Docs website that explains each of the parameters and gives some examples.

You may want to run an analysis first. The analysis returns the fragmentation status of the drive and gives a recommendation.

defrag p: /A

The command analysis the fragmentation status of the drive P on the device. You need to change the drive letter if it is not drive P that you want to analyze. The command defrag c: /A would analyze the C drive instead.

You may defragment the drive if the drive is fragmented, e.g. when Windows recommends that you should defragment the drive.

defrag p: /U /V

The command runs the defragmentation operation on drive P. The parameters U and V echo progress and information on the screen while the operation takes place.

You will notice that defrag runs fine on the drives even though Windows' "Optimize Drives" tool refused to run these operations.

Tip: If you want to defrag SSDs, use the parameters /L and /O as well. It instructs defrag to run a trim command after the operation completes and to run the proper optimization for the media type.

Other parameters of interest are:

• E -- To perform the operation on all drives except those that you specify.
    • C -- To perform the defrag operation on all drives.
    • X -- To consolidate free disk space on the volumes you specify.
    Closing Words

If Windows refuses to run defragmentation operations on a drive in "Optimize Drives", use the command line version of defrag instead to run the commands.

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Fix "Optimization Not Available" in Optimize Drives in Windows appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 1, 2019

2. optimization not available

Hi Brock,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10 Insider Preview.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are glad to assist you.

I suggest you to start the Optimize drives Service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Search for Optimize drives Service.
    • Double click on Optimize drives Service and click on
      Start
      button.
    • Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to Automatic.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on Windows 10 help & how-to.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/support

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Apr 1, 2019
  3. Disk optimization scheduling in Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• In search select Defragment and optimize drives

• Click on change settings

• In optimization schedule

• In frequency select the options accordingly.
    Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

`

Divya Murugan, Apr 1, 2019
  4. Arul_D Win User

Windows 10 Optimize drive question

Hello,

I would recommend you to run check disk (chkdsk). To do so, follow the steps provided below:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Open an administrative Command Prompt window.
    • At the command prompt, type the following command.
    Chkdsk volume: /f /r

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be
    lost.

You may also follow these articles for more help:

Optimize your hard drive

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/optimize-hard-drive#1TC=t1

Improve performance by optimizing your hard drive

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

(Note: All links applies to windows 10 also)

Hope this helps.

Arul_D, Apr 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Fix "Optimization Not Available" in Optimize Drives in Windows - Similar Threads - Fix Optimization Available

2. SSD Optimization Not Available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Optimization Not Available: I cannot seem to get a straight answer to this question anywhere I search.My external SSD suddenly started running very slowly. It's a Samsung EVO 860 500GB. Windows 11 plenty of RAM etc. Power Options = High Performance Plan=====I open Optimize Drives and it says:• C Drive...
  3. Drive optimization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive optimization: I mistakenly optimized my ssd drive right before learning optimization is only for hdd. How to I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-optimization/16c5e8ad-ce65-4833-a16f-66fa3f8e9185
  4. Drive optimization

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive optimization: I mistakenly optimized my ssd drive right before learning optimization is only for hdd. How to I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-optimization/16c5e8ad-ce65-4833-a16f-66fa3f8e9185
  5. Optimize Drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Optimize Drives: Just bought a new AsusExpertCenter desktop with a solid state drive. Should i turn off optimize drives? Am running win 10- 19043-1081. 182101
  6. Optimize Drives Tool shows Never Run or Optimization not available in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Optimize Drives Tool shows Never Run or Optimization not available in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Windows offers disk optimization tools that can help you speed up system performance. In fact, a lot of this is automated and can be scheduled […] This article Optimize Drives Tool shows Never Run or Optimization not available in Windows 10 first appeared on...
  7. Optimize Drives

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Optimize Drives: I'm running Windows 10 version 2004. Since I upgraded when I optimize drives the PC goes thru the procedure and shows me a date and 0% fragmented. As soon as I go back to Optimize Drives under last analyzed it says Never Run. If this is some kind of glitch in version 2004...
  8. Optimize drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Optimize drives: It appears that when I am doing "Optimize drives "on SSD , the current status is not held in mind of the computer and it show all the time " needs optimization ". Can you advise me what to do, or which is the problem ?...
  9. “Optimization not available” for Raid drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    “Optimization not available” for Raid drive: How can I optimize my primary raid drives when "optimization not available" is shown? ***Modified title from: Windows 10 pro optimization*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optimization-not-available-for-raid-drive/1263df21-f9cd-4872-b8b0-63c14deadea6
  10. Optimize drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Optimize drive: I am trying to optimize my system drive, but I can't do it from Windows defrag and optimize drives. I want to do this from admin command prompt. How do I get to admin command prompt?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. optimization not available fix

2. optimization not available

3. optimazation not available

4. defrag optimization not available,
  5. window 10 DRIVE NOT OPTIMIZING,
  6. windows defrag optimization not available,
  7. optimize drives not available,
  8. optimization not available windows 10,
  9. defrag windows 10 optimization not available,
  10. no optimization available disk,
  11. optimization of drive not avaiable,
  12. optimization not availabl e,
  13. optimization not available win 10,
  14. fix windows optimization is not available ssd drive,
  15. does my optimize drive show as optimization not available?