Windows 10: Fix The backup failed, 0x80780119 error on Windows 10

Discus and support Fix The backup failed, 0x80780119 error on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If when you attempt to create a system image backup on your Windows 10 PC, but the operation fails with an error message – The backup failed, Error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Mar 13, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Fix The backup failed, 0x80780119 error on Windows 10

If when you attempt to create a system image backup on your Windows 10 PC, but the operation fails with an error message – The backup failed, Error code 0x80780119, then this post will help you resolve the issue. Fix The backup failed, 0x80780119 error on Windows 10 Disk-Space-error-0x80780119-when-creating-System-Image.png

When you encounter this issue, you’ll receive the following full error message:

The backup failed.
    There is not enough disk space to create the volume shadow copy on the storage location. Make sure that, for all volumes to be backup up, the minimum required disk space for shadow copy creation is available. This applies to both the backup storage destination and volumes included in the backup. Minimum requirement: For volumes less than 500 megabytes, the minimum is 50 megabytes of free space. For volumes more than 500 megabytes, the minimum is 320 megabytes of free space. Recommended: At least 1 gigabyte of free disk space on each volume if volume size is more than 1 gigabyte. (0x80780119)

The potential culprits of this error include;

• Not enough free space in the System Reserved partition.
    • SSD usage combined with improper parameters.
    • USN Journal has grown too big.
    • Outdated drivers.
    • System protection is turned off.
    • Too many language packs.
    The backup failed, Error 0x80780119

If you’re faced with this issue, you can try our recommended solutions below in no particular order and see if that helps to resolve the issue.

1. Run Disk Cleanup
    2. Run CHKDSK
    3. Turn on System Protection
    4. Update disk drivers
    5. Remove Language Packs
    6. Increase the size of the OEM Partition
    7. Create new System Volume
    8. Delete USN Journal

Let’s take a look at the description of the process involved concerning each of the listed solutions.

1] Run Disk Cleanup

As the error indicates there is not enough space, the most logical first solution to try to resolve the disk space error 0x80780119 on your Windows 10 device is to run disk cleanup to ensure you have enough space.

If you have enough space but the error persists, try the next solution.

Also, see this post for storage space requirements for Volume Shadow Copy errors, and remediation.

2] Run CHKDSK

This solution requires you to run CHKDSK and see if it resolves the issue when you try creating the system image backup. Otherwise, try the next solution.

3] Turn on System Protection

One of the oldest Windows recovery tools known as System Restore is disabled by default on Windows 10 installations. This means unboxing your new Windows 10 device and performing the standard setup, system protection will remain turned off.

It’s known that this error can occur if system protection is turned off. In this case, enabling System Protection may help to fix this issue.

4] Update disk drivers

Outdated disk drivers on the disk you’re attempting the system image backup can also trigger this error. In which case, you can update your disk drivers.

The disk drivers can be updated manually via the Device Manager, or you can get the driver updates on the Optional Updates section under Windows Update or you can download the latest version of the driver from the disk manufacturer’s website.

5] Remove Language Packs

However odd this might seem, it has been known that multiple language packs could trigger this error during the system image creation process. Removing unused languages will certainly free up some of the disk space. This post will help you if you’re unable to remove a language pack.

6] Increase the size of the OEM Partition

Since this is a disk space-related issue, increasing the OEM Partition size may also resolve the issue at hand. To increase the size of the OEM partition, do the following:

• Open Disk Management.
    • Go to the System Reserved volume, right-click and select Extend Volume.
    • Click Next.
    • Now, select the amount of space in MB that you want to add to the System Reserved Volume.
    • Once done, restart the computer.

On boot, check whether the issue is resolved. If not, try the next solution.

7] Create new System Volume

If the System Reserved Partition does not have sufficient space to store a shadow copy, you’ll encounter this error.

In Disk Management, right-clicking the System Reserved volume and checking its Properties, the volume overall size must remain at least 100 MB. Similarly, this must have at least 40 MB available free space. Since you can’t increase the size of the volume, you can create a new system volume instead. Here’s how:

• Decide on which drive (let’s say F) you to want to create a new system volume.
    • Next, press Windows key + R to invoke the Run dialog.
    • In the Run dialog box, type cmd and then press CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER to open Command Prompt in elevated mode.
    • In the command prompt window, type the command below and hit Enter.

bcdboot.exe /s C:\Windows /s F:

Note: C: is the root drive, and F: is the drive where you want to create new reserved storage.

• Once the command executes and creates the new drive, type the commands below and hit Enter after each line:

DISKPART

DISKPART> select volume F

DISKPART> active

Once done, restart the computer and see if the issue is resolved. If not, try the next solution.

8] Delete USN Journal

The System Reserved Storage is in NTFS format and it includes a unique feature USN Journal (Update Sequence Number) which maintains a record of all the changes made to the root drive. As a result, this grows quite large over a period of time thus causing disk space error 0x80780119 when creating a system image.

This solution entails you delete the USN Journal. Here’s how:

• Open Disk Management.
    • Go to the system reserved volume and change the drive letter. Make sure that the letter (let’s say Q) hasn’t been assigned to any drive before.
    • Next, open Command Prompt in admin mode.
    • In the CMD prompt, type the commands below and hit Enter after each line:

fsutil usn queryjournal Q:

fsutil usn deletejournal /N /D Q:

Now, return to Disk Management, right-click on the System Reserved partition and select the Change Drive Letter and Paths command.

• Click Remove on the dialog box that appears.
    • Click Yes on the next prompt.
    • Click Yes again on the next prompt.

After you restart your system, you will be able to run the System Image tool without encountering the error.

Read: Failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set – 0x807800C5, 0x80780081.

Hope you find this post helpful!

Fix The backup failed, 0x80780119 error on Windows 10 Disk-Space-error-0x80780119-when-creating-System-Image.png
    This article Fix The backup failed, 0x80780119 error on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Mar 13, 2021
  2. jk1984 Win User

Backup Image failed - 0x80780119 error

Fix The backup failed, 0x80780119 error on Windows 10 [​IMG]

I received this error message when trying to create a system image. By back up destination has plenty of free space.

I have read that it has to do with my system reserved partition not having enough free space. The easiest way I can think of is to increase the size of this partition. Any suggestions on the best way to go about this? All I want to do is create a back up. *Banghead

jk1984, Mar 13, 2021
  3. T J
    T J Win User

My 2012 Dell W10 desktop (from today) is shown below. 1TB hard drive has: 39MB, 18.25GB, and 913.22GB. Both Backup & Restore (Windows 7) and Ghost 15 programs have made recent images (and restored images) of this hard drive.

This desktop was ordered from Dell website, and has only received Windows updates since 2012. With NO clean installs of Windows 7 or 10. Windows Update used to upgrade W7 to W10 in 2016. All the partitions are still the same sizes as when it shipped from Dell factory. No DBAN or anything else.

My two NTFS partitions are 913GB and 18GB (factory original size); while yours are 930GB and 50MB. Good Luck.

4. dalchina Win User

a. What tool or what means are you using to create a disk image?
    b. Did you note:

c. On what are you trying to save the image? E.g. how big is the disk? And how large is the source data you are imaging?

Let me guess you are using Backup and restore (Windows 7). If so, don't. MS recommends people use a 3rd party solution (such as Macrium Reflect, which is so often mentioned here- the free version is good enough for most).

Unlike Backup and restore (Windows 7), such tools are updated and supported.

dalchina, Mar 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Fix The backup failed, 0x80780119 error on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Fix backup failed

2. Create System Image failed with error 0X80780119 but everything looks good

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create System Image failed with error 0X80780119 but everything looks good: Attached are screen shots of 1 System About info. This is Windows 11, version 22H2, installed on 2/4/2023. https://drive.google.com/file/d/13NKioDekSy0LUfzKzaUDdLbbURq1a4Q4/view?usp=share_link 2 Create System Image window. This shows that the destination external disk has 10...
  3. Create System Image failed with error 0X80780119 but everything looks good

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create System Image failed with error 0X80780119 but everything looks good: Attached are screen shots of 1 System About info. This is Windows 11, version 22H2, installed on 2/4/2023. https://drive.google.com/file/d/13NKioDekSy0LUfzKzaUDdLbbURq1a4Q4/view?usp=share_link 2 Create System Image window. This shows that the destination external disk has 10...
  4. Can't create system image backup 0x80780119

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create system image backup 0x80780119: I am trying to backup my files on my C drive to an external hard disk see disk management screenshot belowBut when I create a system image, I get the following error:This doesn't make sense to me. I only have about 500 GB of files on my C drive, and my external hard disk has...
  5. Can't create system image backup 0x80780119

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't create system image backup 0x80780119: I am trying to backup my files on my C drive to an external hard disk see disk management screenshot belowBut when I create a system image, I get the following error:This doesn't make sense to me. I only have about 500 GB of files on my C drive, and my external hard disk has...
  6. Fix Windows Backup Failed Error 0x80780166 (0x80070002)

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Windows Backup Failed Error 0x80780166 (0x80070002): [ATTACH]This post will help to properly fix Windows Backup encountered an error when writing data to the backup target (0x80780166), The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002) on your Windows 11/10 computer. Some users face this issue that when they try to create...
  7. System image backup errors 0x80780119 and 0x81000033 in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System image backup errors 0x80780119 and 0x81000033 in Windows 10.: When I try to create a backup system image using Backup and Restore Windows 7 from within Windows 10 Pro, it fails with error codes 0x80780119 and 0x81000033. Apparently, the problem is that my Recovery Partition only has 29 MB of free space when the image backup utility...
  8. Backup Image failed - 0x80780119 error

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup Image failed - 0x80780119 error: [img] I received this error message when trying to create a system image. By back up destination has plenty of free space. [img] I have read that it has to do with my system reserved partition not having enough free space. The easiest way I can think of is to increase...
  9. Failed to create system Image in Windows 10 2004 0x80780119

Failed to create system Image in Windows 10 2004 0x80780119: Win10 2004! C: drive about 41GB, Backup Drive 241GB! Getting error message that there is NOT enough space to create the shadow copy on the storage location! [ATTACH] Tried the same on trhee different source drives, one of them with pristine install of Win10 only 31GB!...
  10. Windows 10 1903 Image Backup fails with error 0x80780119

Windows 10 1903 Image Backup fails with error 0x80780119: The following error showed up on my windows 1903 build 18362.295. According to the message the minimum available space for volumes should be: For a volume <500MB 50MB of free space >500MB 320MB >1GB 1GB...