Windows 10: Fix Trustedinstaller/Cant Use sfc /scannow/ Cant install windows updates!

Discus and support Fix Trustedinstaller/Cant Use sfc /scannow/ Cant install windows updates! in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; First thing is, Is trustedinstaller a virus? I have had alot of hours online trying to find out about if this is safe or not because it wouldnt let me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by OneX2, Mar 29, 2021.

1. OneX2 Win User

Fix Trustedinstaller/Cant Use sfc /scannow/ Cant install windows updates!

First thing is, Is trustedinstaller a virus? I have had alot of hours online trying to find out about if this is safe or not because it wouldnt let me delete things that i needed to. I had a virus that i couldnt delete do to trustedinstaller blocking me so then i went online to find out how to stop trustedinstaller and It worked:because of this I noticed a few things werent working propabley anymore like sfc /scannow <that no longer works and I cant install updates any more

:)

OneX2, Mar 29, 2021

2. SFC /Scannow won't start

I tried to run SFC /Scannow but got the error message "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service".

I saw on the web that this usually indicates that the Windows Module Installer and/or Trusted Installer is not running. The Windows Module Installer was running but I issues the start for it anyway. It didn't help. I rebooted. Still couldn't run SFC.

Windows: Fix Error
    suggested the following procedure:

1. Select “Start” and type “CMD“.
    2. Right-click “Command Prompt” then choose “Run as administrator“.
    3. If prompted, enter a username and password that grants admin rights to the computer.
    4. Type “sc config trustedinstaller start=auto“, then press “Enter“. You should get a “SUCCESS” message.
    5. Type “net start trustedinstaller“, then press “Enter“. You should receive a message that the service was started.
    All that worked as described, but SFC still refuses to start.

Do I have any choices short of clean reinstall? I did a clean install of 1511 (actually, to of them) but just an upgrade-in-place for 1607. I have a lot of software installed and reinstalling them after a clean reinstall takes more time than I can afford right now.

pokeefe0001, Mar 29, 2021
  3. Windows 10 update making sfc /scannow not working

I just recently updated to KB 4528760, upon checking the update history it is stated that the update failed to install, however my PC actually updated to it. Also now the sfc /scannow is not working it states Windows resource protection could
    not start the repair service.
    I already tried this method:

Step 1: Press Windows and R keys together to launch
    Run dialog, and input services.msc
    in the box, then click OK

to continue.

Step 2: In the popup window, select the Windows Modules Installer and double-click it.

Step 3: You will see Windows Modules Installer Properties window, set Startup type as
    Manual, then click Apply and OK to confirm this change.

Step 4: Close the services window. Then type cmd in the search box of Windows 10 and right-click
    Command Prompt to choose Run as administrator.

Step 5: Type the following commands in the command window and hit
    Enter to continue after each command.

sc config trustedinstaller start= demand

net start trustedinstaller

But it didn't fix the problem.

I wanted to uninstall the update or reinstall the update and check to see if it fixes the problem. Please give me suggestions on how to fix the issue. I don't want to start over reinstalling the OS. It's frustrating.

KentBongolo, Mar 29, 2021
  4. Fix Trustedinstaller/Cant Use sfc /scannow/ Cant install windows updates!

sfc /scannow

Hi,

My name is Angel. I am an Independent Advisor. Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To try solve Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

1. Select Start, and type CMD.

2. Right-click Command Prompt; then, choose Run as administrator.

3. If prompted, enter a username and password that grants admin rights to the computer.

4. Type sc config trustedinstaller start= auto; then, press Enter. You should get a SUCCESS message.

5. Next, type net start trustedinstaller; then, press Enter. You should receive a message that the service was started.

6.Try the sfc /scannow command again.

Hope the information provided is useful. If the issue persists, reply here and we will be glad to help you.

Angel.

AngelCarreno, Mar 29, 2021
Thema:

Fix Trustedinstaller/Cant Use sfc /scannow/ Cant install windows updates!

1. Fix Trustedinstaller/Cant Use sfc /scannow/ Cant install windows updates! - Similar Threads - Fix Trustedinstaller Cant

2. I cant do a Windows Reset and sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cant do a Windows Reset and sfc /scannow: I am have a problem with my Windows and/or PC. I cant do any of the following commands:sfc /scannow, pc reset, chkdsk c: /r, chkdsk c: /f, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthI can do a Windows Reset eitherI can use the Windows Search bar either if i click on it it...
  3. I cant do a Windows Reset and sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant do a Windows Reset and sfc /scannow: I am have a problem with my Windows and/or PC. I cant do any of the following commands:sfc /scannow, pc reset, chkdsk c: /r, chkdsk c: /f, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthI can do a Windows Reset eitherI can use the Windows Search bar either if i click on it it...
  4. I cant do a Windows Reset and sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. uses for sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    uses for sfc /scannow: What errors can sfc /scannow repair?My document files are being lost by Explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uses-for-sfc-scannow/96a79bdd-1fb6-4c1a-bdf7-31595a16e6f0
  6. uses for sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    uses for sfc /scannow: What errors can sfc /scannow repair?My document files are being lost by Explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uses-for-sfc-scannow/96a79bdd-1fb6-4c1a-bdf7-31595a16e6f0
  7. I cant run any programs as administrator, and i cant do "sfc / scannow"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant run any programs as administrator, and i cant do "sfc / scannow": i am the admin on my pc, when i go on my profile it says so, but i cant run anything as admin nor do some apps such as task manager open, a pop up appears saying "C:\winows\ststem32\taskmgr.exeWinows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the...
  8. SFC /scannow finds errors but cant fix them

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SFC /scannow finds errors but cant fix them: Hello whenever I try to run SFC /SCANNOW in CMD it finds errors but was unable to fix them. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow-finds-errors-but-cant-fix-them/83ae97df-c8ec-4e5f-ace3-1ff3479e6b4a
  9. SFC cant fix my problems

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC cant fix my problems: Hi, SFC reports that there are corrupt files but cant fix them. I'm having problems with my store, being stuck on "acquiring license" and with windows update saying it cant check for updates because its trying to install updates already. I've tried various sfc commands...
  10. sfc /scannow cant fix errors dism is unable to find source.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    sfc /scannow cant fix errors dism is unable to find source.: I've been using Microsoft's OSs since dos 6ish and win 3.11. I always adapt early and usually figure the bugs out on my own, this time not so much. So i updated from win 8.1 pro x64 to win 10 pro x64 on day 2 of RTM as soon as I got my invite. I had been wanting to do a clean...