Windows 10: Fix Windows 10 can't be restored after you install an update

Discus and support Fix Windows 10 can't be restored after you install an update in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 administrators who install Windows 10 on a computer may receive a stop error when they attempt to restore the system after installing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 19, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Fix Windows 10 can't be restored after you install an update

Windows 10 administrators who install Windows 10 on a computer may receive a stop error when they attempt to restore the system after installing updates.

Updates may be installed automatically or manually after Windows 10 is installed on a device. These updates bring the operating system to the newest version and they may patch security issues and introduce other improvements.

Windows 10 users who run into issues after update installation may use System Restore to restore the system to an earlier version.

Microsoft notes that it may happen that Windows 10 cannot be restored to an earlier version and that users receive the Stop error (0xc000021a) instead.

Consider the following scenario:

1. You install Windows 10 on a clean computer.
    2. You turn on system protection, and then create a system restore point that is named "R1."
    3. You install one or more Windows 10 updates.
    4. After the updates have finished installing, you restore the system to the "R1" restore point.

In this scenario, the system is not restored to the "R1" restore point. Instead, the computer experiences a Stop error (0xc000021a). You restart the computer, but the system cannot return to the Windows desktop.
    The cause

Windows stages the restoration of files that are in use during a system restore process. The information is saved to the Windows Registry and the restoration completes on the next start of the PC.

In this particular situation, Windows 10 loads the current drivers before restoration and that leads to a driver mismatch and the stop error. The restoration process is stopped because of that.

The fix

Fix Windows 10 can't be restored after you install an update windows-10-system-restore-fails.png

Microsoft proposes two fixes for the issue: the first explains how systems may be recovered that failed to start while the second suggests an option to avoid the issue completely.

If Windows 10 fails to start during recovery

Administrators need to enter the Windows Recovery Environment to fix the issue. The environment should be loaded automatically after several failed restarts.

1. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > More Recovery Options > Startup Settings > Restart Now.
    2. The list of startup options is displayed. Select Disable Driver signature enforcement (F7).
    3. Follow the instructions. Windows should be able to resume the system restore process and finalize it this time.

To avoid the issue altogether

Microsoft suggests that system restore is run using the Windows Recovery Environment and not through the Settings application.

1. Use Windows-I to open the Settings application.
    2. Go to Update & Security > Recovery.
    3. Select Restart Now under Advanced Settings.
    4. When Windows restarts, select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Restore.
    5. Follow the instructions to select a system restore point and restore the system.

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks)). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Fix Windows 10 can't be restored after you install an update appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 19, 2019

2. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, May 19, 2019
  3. chispy Win User
    Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

chispy, May 19, 2019
  4. KTR
    ktr Win User

Windows updates won't install!

I had the same problem when i repaired my O/S, i forgot the steps on how to fixed it, but it is in the microsoft support forum.

You have to reinstall the windows updater, then restart the updating service.

edit: Found it...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Thema:

1. Fix Windows 10 can't be restored after you install an update - Similar Threads - Fix can't restored

2. How to fix this ? can't install update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix this ? can't install update: Cant finish downloading the new update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-this-cant-install-update/008a5fc4-47ba-4855-9078-95d49e588e18
  3. Can't access Windows 10 after restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access Windows 10 after restore: After doing a system restore to a restore point 2 weeks ago due to no sound from my bluetooth audio device which was loaded on to my computer and paired correctly but didn't work all of a sudden, the restore took a very long time. When I logged in using my admin microsoft...
  4. Can't access Windows 10 after restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access Windows 10 after restore: After doing a system restore to a restore point 2 weeks ago due to no sound from my bluetooth audio device which was loaded on to my computer and paired correctly but didn't work all of a sudden, the restore took a very long time. When I logged in using my admin microsoft...
  5. Can't access Windows 10 after restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Installing Windows 10 after Restore

Installing Windows 10 after Restore: I had to do a restore on my pc. The system loaded Windows version 8.1, but I am registered for Windows 10. I am having no luck installing or re-installing Windows 10. Help!...
  7. Can't fix windows update installer

Can't fix windows update installer: Everything listed here didn't work. - First thing I did was to restart and try again. - I then ran troubleshooting, and it said that I should run both the DISM and SFC commands prompt as admin but in the end nothing happened, "Windows Resource Protection could not perform...
  8. Unable to install windows 10 updates after restoring/reloading windows 10 after original...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to install windows 10 updates after restoring/reloading windows 10 after original...: RE: The subject. My windows on my 5 year old HP ENVY laptop crashed about a month ago. With the help from a Costco tech guy we managed to go through the process of downloading a copy of windows 10 from the Microsoft website via thumb drive and reinstall it on the Laptop....
  9. *FIX* Windows 10 not installing update after restart *FIX*

*FIX* Windows 10 not installing update after restart *FIX*: *Fix* located below* Issues : 1. When at Settings in Check for update, you click 'restart' to install updates and it doesn't go through with restarting computer anyway. 2. You manually restart computer and update does not apply. *Fix* : Change your Computer's name...
  10. can't restore system after latest windows 10 update

can't restore system after latest windows 10 update: I had a Windows 10 update a day or so ago and now I can't start Windows. Can't restore to previous version, system can't trouble shoot, etc....