Windows 10: Fix Windows was unable to load the registry error on Windows 10

Discus and support Fix Windows was unable to load the registry error on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If you encounter issues on your Windows 10 device, you may want to look in Event Viewer to get a better understanding of what the issue is and what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 15, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Fix Windows was unable to load the registry error on Windows 10

If you encounter issues on your Windows 10 device, you may want to look in Event Viewer to get a better understanding of what the issue is and what might have caused it. On the course of that, you might see an event logged with the error message Windows was unable to load the registry. In this post, we will offer the most suitable solutions to this issue.

Fix Windows was unable to load the registry error on Windows 10 Windows-was-unable-to-load-the-registry.jpg

The following is the full error message;

Windows was unable to load the registry. This problem is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient security rights.

DETAIL – The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process, for C:\Users\<username>\ntuser.dat

Most affected users didn’t report any associated symptoms with this issue (other than this recurring error message).

The most likely culprits to this error includes;

• Power interrupted during the logon/logoff procedure.
    • Bad application installed or uninstalled.
    • Network dropout or virus /spyware.
    • Corrupted UsrClass.dat profile.
    • Corrupted Windows profile.
    Windows was unable to load the registry

If you’re faced with this issue, you can try our recommended solutions below in no particular order and see if that helps to resolve the issue. But before you begin, restart your system once, log in as administrator and see if this makes the problem go away – as the error message does mention that it could be a memory or permissions issue.

1. Check and remove virus (if any) from Registry
    2. Run SFC scan
    3. Delete UsrClass.dat file
    4. Create new User Profile
    5. Repair Windows Registry
    6. Perform System Restore
    7. Perform Reset This PC, Cloud Reset or In-place Upgrade Repair Windows 10

Let’s take a look at the description of the process involved concerning each of the listed solutions.

1] Check and remove virus (if any) from Registry

If there’s malware/virus present in the registry, you may encounter this Windows was unable to load the registry error. In this case, the solution to try is, check the registry for infections and remove any if found.

2] Run SFC scan

System file corruption could be the reason you encounter the error.

The SFC/DISM is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruption in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. So, you can run the SFC scan and see if that helps. If it doesn’t, run the DISM tool to repair the system image.

3] Delete UsrClass.dat file

In some cases, the symptoms of the error are Windows Search not working or the Start menu not opening. In these cases, you can resolve the issue by deleting the UsrClass.dat file from the AppData folder. Here’s how:

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows
    • At the location, scroll down through the list of items and locate UsrClass.dat, right-click the file and choose Delete from the context menu.
    • Restart PC.

On boot, check if the issue is resolved. If not, try the next solution.

4] Create a new User Profile

You’re likely to encounter the issue if your user profile is corrupted. In most cases, you’ll be able to resolve the issue by creating a new user profile/account for your Windows 10 computer.

Upon completing this procedure, any corrupted dependencies associated with the current user profile will be replaced with healthy copies.

5] Repair Windows Registry

Invalid/corrupted registry entries can also trigger this error. In this case, you can repair the registry and see if that helps with the issue at hand.

6] Perform System Restore

If your system has undergone some changes (OS-wise due to updates or software installation) which you might not be aware of, you might encounter this error. In this case, you can restore your system to an earlier point when the system was working correctly.

7] Perform Reset This PC, Cloud Reset or In-place Upgrade Repair Windows 10

At this point, if the issue is still unresolved, it’s most likely due to some kind of system corruption that cannot be resolved conventionally. In this case, the applicable solution here is that you can try Reset This PC, or Cloud Reset to reset every Windows component.

You may also try In-place Upgrade Repair and in extreme cases, clean install Windows 10.

Any of these solutions should work for you!

Fix Windows was unable to load the registry error on Windows 10 Windows-was-unable-to-load-the-registry.jpg
    This article Fix Windows was unable to load the registry error on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 15, 2021
  2. 95Viper Win User

Any way to edit the registry without loading Windows?

You will need to find a way to grant yourself permissions for full control of that hive/key.
    Just as the "Trusted Installer" has.
    You may have to log on as admin to do this.

Grant Read Write (Full Control) Permissions on Registry Keys (Fix Cannot Import and Access Denied Error in RegEdit)
    How to change Registry Permissions with RegIni.exe (VBScript)

And, a search to start you on your quest.

I did it a long time ago, to get rid of & edit some hives, keys, etc.
    Goodluck.*Smile Fix Windows was unable to load the registry error on Windows 10 :)

95Viper, May 15, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 15, 2021
  4. NdMk2o1o Win User

1607: Unable to install installshield scripting runtime error - Win10

Anyone had this error installing any old games? 1607: Unable to install installshield scripting runtime error

The game is COD 2 and am running Windows 10 x64.... am sure I have installed this on a previous Windows 10 build, tried a quick google though it's throwing up a load of old threads related to Windows XP

NdMk2o1o, May 15, 2021
Thema:

1. Fix Windows was unable to load the registry error on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Fix was unable

2. BSOD Windows 10 - Registry error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Windows 10 - Registry error: BSOD appears when I turn on my PC. The stop code is registry error.I restarted my PC a lot of times to reset the BIOS and that didn't work.I replaced my old Cmos battery for a new one but the error persists.My motherboard is a Gigabyte z390 Aorus pro wifi....
  3. BSOD Windows 10 - Registry error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD Windows 10 - Registry error: BSOD appears when I turn on my PC. The stop code is registry error.I restarted my PC a lot of times to reset the BIOS and that didn't work.I replaced my old Cmos battery for a new one but the error persists.My motherboard is a Gigabyte z390 Aorus pro wifi....
  4. BSOD Windows 10 - Registry error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Fix Unable to load file Google Docs error

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Unable to load file Google Docs error: [ATTACH]If Google Docs cannot load your file and you see an error message Unable to load file then here are the solutions to fix this issue. This issue can occur with Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, or Forms. Using Google Docs doesn’t cost anything and you just need a reliable...
  6. User unable to load error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User unable to load error: A few nights ago I received an error upon logon about the user information being unable to load. All of my applications and most of my files are on the computer but I have to go to the user folder in my file explorer. (My document folder is empty but if I go through the users...
  7. Unable to load Windows 10

Unable to load Windows 10: I fell asleep with my PC on and when I returned the monitor was showing a blue screen error. I was unable to restart to windows normally and to safe mode. I have a HP Omen desktop that is less than a year old with minimal installs just a few games The referenced stop code...
  8. Windows 10, Error 1935; Fix with RegistrySizeLimit - but key is missing in registry.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10, Error 1935; Fix with RegistrySizeLimit - but key is missing in registry.: Windows 10, Error 1935 during application installations, Fixes refere to RegistrySizeLimit in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control, - but RegistrySizeLimit key does not exist in the registry !...
  9. Unable to load bitmaps! Error

Unable to load bitmaps! Error: I was running a 16bit program on my 32bit windows tablet. It was running fine till a few days ago when it started to say " unable to load bitmaps! ". It is not the program because I deleted it and down loaded it again and it says the same error. The program is Stars! a old...
  10. Unable to load windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to load windows: I am unable to load windows, when I try all I get s a blank screen. Has anyone else experienced this? If so how did you fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-load-windows/36f086b9-0696-4804-8b01-7123da7ccd74