Windows 10: Fixed my problem with file backup

Discus and support Fixed my problem with file backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; For years I've been using the file backup option found under "Settings". Recently, however, when I clicked on "backup now" I would get a message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Richmond Dan, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Fixed my problem with file backup

For years I've been using the file backup option found under "Settings". Recently, however, when I clicked on "backup now" I would get a message saying "backing up your data". After 10-15 seconds, it would indicate that the backup was complete, but the date shown was two months old. I couldn't get it to actually update to the external hard drive.

The problem appears to be related to the change Microsoft made to Windows 10, allowing you to remove external drives without going through the "safely remove hardware" process. I did the following:

- open File Explorer and right click on the external hard drive

- click on Properties

- click on the Hardware tab, then select the hard drive you are backing up to

- then click on Properties, toward the bottom

- select the Policies tab

- click on Better Performance

- go to Settings, select Update and Security, then select Backup

- turn off Automatically Update My Files, then select More Options

- go back to the previous page and turn on Automatically Update My Files

- select More Options, then select Back Up Your Data

This worked for me (my files have been updating for a while now).

Please let us know if this works for you...

:)

Richmond Dan, Apr 17, 2019

2. [HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Apr 17, 2019
  3. Guitar Win User
    Windows Backup Problems

Having a problem backing up Windows 7, need help. Basically, I am having the problem in which the backup will not create at all and fails at the shadow copy. This happens in Windows Backup using both the disk image backup and the personal file backup. It goes to maybe 5%-8% of Shadow Copy depending on the backup type and fails. The error that comes in event viewer is 0x81000019. Yes the disk is brand new and double the size of C:.

I tried the fix of making a new 490mb system reserve partition and that did not help (http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/fce6950d-c06d-4dd0-a850-67022db4fe04) I formatted the disk several times and that didn't help. I tried a third party program, Comodo backup, and that too failed to operate I would say based on the shadow copy service. I tried this fix as well (http://social.technet.microsoft.com...aac-a0af-4740-a331-2b14d604a846?prof=required) and I failed at the regsvr32 es.dll, regsvr32 msxml3.dll, regsvr32 msxml4.dll commands, and WMI Writer when using the vssadmin list writers command was not responding. I've also tried stopping and restarting the service.

Besides doing a manual backup using Acronis, which is not preferred at this point, I don't know how to fix this.

Guitar, Apr 17, 2019
  4. Geekoid Win User

Fixed my problem with file backup

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Apr 17, 2019
Thema:

Fixed my problem with file backup

1. Fixed my problem with file backup - Similar Threads - Fixed problem file

2. Problems performing a File History backup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems performing a File History backup.: Hi everyone. I never considered myself the sharpest blade in the drawer, but I can follow instructions fairly well. I'm attempting to do a 'simple' File History Backup on Windows 10 for the 1st time and just can't seem to get the hang of it. I'm using a SanDisk 32GB USB flash...
  3. Problems performing a File History backup.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems performing a File History backup.: Hi everyone. I never considered myself the sharpest blade in the drawer, but I can follow instructions fairly well. I'm attempting to do a 'simple' File History Backup on Windows 10 for the 1st time and just can't seem to get the hang of it. I'm using a SanDisk 32GB USB flash...
  4. Problems performing a File History backup.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Backup problems.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup problems.: Greetings all. I have just had W10 installed on my desktop ( version 1909) and want to back up my 100,000+ photos. I tried to do it manually to an EHD (drag and drop) but it says that will take over a day. If I go through the recommended route of 'Select Start > Settings >...
  6. Backup Problem

Backup Problem: Using Windows 10 trying to back up two external hard drives to a third. About 1 1/2 tb of data between the two drives, but only 58 gb backs up to the third drive. All back up settings seem proper and the programs seems to think the back up is complete no error messages....
  7. Backup my files and folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup my files and folders: Can someone Please explain to me in Layman's Terms the easiest way to backup my files and folders, I am 71 years old and find it difficult to sometimes grasp or follow windows instructions. I'm sure I need to be able to carry out this Task to keep myself safe from loosing my...
  8. backup problems

backup problems: my windows 10 computer is not backing up to my external hard drive. In fact the computer says it backed up to the external hard drive in july. However on the hard drive itself I can only find a backup of files done in March. Is there a particular Hard drive that works...
  9. Problem with file history backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Problem with file history backup: I cannot change the drive for FILE HISTORY. I have been able to remove the old drive but although the drive I want is listed, clicking it has no effect. Is FILE HISTORY of much use anyway? I have not bothered with it before, and when I look at what has been saved it seems...
  10. backup using file history problem :(

backup using file history problem :(: Hi guys ... i just cannot backup using FileHistory on my windows 10 ... I realized yesterday that the volume of my drives going to over. volume of my last backup was 400GB... then i deleted backup file on my drive ... after that the backup button get gray and i cannot...