Windows 10: FIXED - New update can cause problems with file explorer

Discus and support FIXED - New update can cause problems with file explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; [I NO LONGER HAVE THE PROBLEM, THIS IS FOR OTHERS EXPERIENCING THE SAME ISSUE] Recently my computer updated to the latest Windows 10 version and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BigStewAMC1972, May 23, 2019.

1. FIXED - New update can cause problems with file explorer

[I NO LONGER HAVE THE PROBLEM, THIS IS FOR OTHERS EXPERIENCING THE SAME ISSUE]

Recently my computer updated to the latest Windows 10 version and the update was successful. Everything seemed to work fine until you would run a program as administrator with file explorer open. The entire screen would dim and ask if I wanted to run said program as administrator, I would click yes and then file explorer would stop responding. The window would brighten and the infamous message "File Explorer has stopped working" would appear. I tried defragging the hard drive, a system validating scan which came up with unrelated files that were corrupted but this didn't fix the issue. I tried everything, except to check in the Run As Administrator windows setting itself. To fix this issue, atleast for me, when you go to run a program, click the "Show More Details" button. Then click "Change when these notifications appear", from here you will be prompted to a settings window with a vertical line with smaller horizontal lines and a box telling you when the notification appears. For me, the bar USED TO BE set one line above the bottom line. When the update is installed, it set it back to the default one line below the top line. Set the line to the setting that says "Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop). For me personally this solved the issue as the apparent dimming would temporarily close file explorer and restart it which would cause it to freak out. Hopefully is anyone else is having this problem as well, this will hopefully resolve the problem for you.

:)

BigStewAMC1972, May 23, 2019

2. creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Hi Gudiya,

The problem you've encountered in creating a folder could be caused by software or program conflict as the issue appeared a few days after installing the Windows 10 Creators update. For us to know if this only occurs when creating a new folder from the desktop,
    we suggest that you try creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut or from File Explorer. Please refer to the steps below:

Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

• Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.

Creating a new folder from File Explorer.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Hover your mouse on the location where you want to create a new folder.
    • Right-click it, go to New > Folder.

In case the problem persists, then we suggest that you go ahead and perform a clean boot. Doing so will start your computer using minimal drivers to help us determine what conflict is causing the problem. Check out
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows for the detailed steps.

Let us know the result so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, May 23, 2019
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    "This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, May 23, 2019
  4. vinceip Win User

FIXED - New update can cause problems with file explorer

Explorer Crash FIX!

Our old Dell Inspiron N5110 got this problem also.
    Taskbar keeps refreshing. Thanks many hints from guys above pointed me the direction to fix it.
    From Reliability History Monitor I found Explorer keeps crashing because of IDTNC64.CPL (type reliability history at Start)
    1. the issue was from IDTNC64.cpl, the sound driver,
    but I could not successfully to uninstall it from device manager nor control panel or rename the file or the folder.
    2. uninstalled High Definition Audio Device few times, problem remain
    3. tried to uninstall within Control Panel > Program file, yet Control Panel only open 2, 3 seconds then closed automatically.
    4. finally solved Control Panel shut down problem by going to msconfig>services>and disable Windows Error Reporting Service. see below sequence:
    Click window + R keys, type msconfig, Enter to open msconfig, click Services Tag and look for Windows Error Reporting Service. Unchecked it, then apply, ok then reboot system when it suggests.
    5. After this, open Control Panel by clicking Start > type Control Panel. Then my Control Panel open and stay put, won't shut down by itself.
    6. In Control Panel > Programs > I found IDT Audio and successfully to uninstall it.
    7. No more taskbar refresh or Windows Explore shut down after uninstalled IDT and Sound still works great!!!
    8. repeat step 4 to check Windows Error Reporting Services by clicking it. OK then follow system suggestion to reboot.
    9. Control Panel still able to open and remain open. Sound still works and no more refresh.
    10. From Reliability History monitor found no more Windows Explorer crashing.
    I am happy and hope above steps help

vinceip, May 23, 2019
Thema:

FIXED - New update can cause problems with file explorer

1. FIXED - New update can cause problems with file explorer - Similar Threads - FIXED update cause

2. "Security Update for Microsoft Windows KB5030219" Causes Problem on File Explorer...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Security Update for Microsoft Windows KB5030219" Causes Problem on File Explorer...: I Uninstalled the update mensioned above and the problem ceased to exist, but windows Installed the update again without any nottice so the problem came back. I Uninstalled the update once again, and I paused windows updates on my computer from settings, and the problem is...
  3. "Security Update for Microsoft Windows KB5030219" Causes Problem on File Explorer...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Security Update for Microsoft Windows KB5030219" Causes Problem on File Explorer...: I Uninstalled the update mensioned above and the problem ceased to exist, but windows Installed the update again without any nottice so the problem came back. I Uninstalled the update once again, and I paused windows updates on my computer from settings, and the problem is...
  4. How to fix a new problem with editing filenames in Win11 File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix a new problem with editing filenames in Win11 File Explorer.: Win11 has suddenly started a problem with renaming files. Once the filename is open for editing, it is possible to place the cursor, but after placing the cursor it reverts to the whole filename being highlighted, therefore impossible to edit, only to change the whole name....
  5. How to fix a new problem with editing filenames in Win11 File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix a new problem with editing filenames in Win11 File Explorer.: Win11 has suddenly started a problem with renaming files. Once the filename is open for editing, it is possible to place the cursor, but after placing the cursor it reverts to the whole filename being highlighted, therefore impossible to edit, only to change the whole name....
  6. KB5004237 causes problems with file explorer searches

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB5004237 causes problems with file explorer searches: I have just proved by removing this update, that it severely impacts on going to files with file explorer.Running the trouble shooter ion search indexing finds no problems.I have removed all temporary files.I have defragged the C: drive.It made no difference, search just said...
  7. File Explorer problem and "fix"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer problem and "fix": This isn't a question but a mysterious solution. I couldn't find a thread about this that wasn't already closed, so I'll enter it here for whatever it's worth. I discovered today that File Explorer wouldn't open if clicking on the icon in the Taskbar but would if clicking...
  8. File Explorer: Problem with New Folder

File Explorer: Problem with New Folder: Often when I select New | Folder in File Explorer, as I'm typing in the name for the new folder, the text entry boxes closes too soon, leaving either "New Folder" or a partial entry as the name for the new folder, requiring me to explicitly rename the folder. Why is the text...
  9. File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash

File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash: After installing the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, the New context menu no longer works. If I right-click an empty area in File Explorer and move to the New menu, Explorer freezes and then crashes. Same thing happens if I click on the New Item icon on the toolbar. The...
  10. New Update Causing Problems

in Windows 10 Support
    New Update Causing Problems: That newest big update a couple of days ago- the one where your computer restarted a few times- well, since then I've been having glitches. My Google Chrome is slow to start, switch pages, etc. It didn't do this before. It's self-updating so I'm sure I have the latest...