Windows 10: Fixed Problem of File Explorer Not Auto-refreshing by Removing CCleaner

Discus and support Fixed Problem of File Explorer Not Auto-refreshing by Removing CCleaner in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Basically I had two issues: 1. File Explorer was not auto-refreshing. I would have to hit the F5 button to refresh. E.g., when I opened File... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JohnRenzi, Mar 30, 2021.

1. JohnRenzi Win User

Fixed Problem of File Explorer Not Auto-refreshing by Removing CCleaner

Basically I had two issues:

1. File Explorer was not auto-refreshing. I would have to hit the F5 button to refresh. E.g., when I opened File Explorer, no files would show up or be very slow to show up. Or if I changed a file name or if I added or deleted a file, the change wouldn't show until I hit the F5 button.

2. The iTunes app wouldn't open, though Task Manager would show that the executable itunes.exe was running.

I have a Windows 10 PC, everything updated. Note: I had McAfee and CCleaner Pro. I even ran the System File Checker utility in Windows 10 as administrator to be sure the operating system wasn't corrupted.

My fix: As a test, I wouldn't allow CCleaner Pro "to make changes to my PC", that is, I disabled CCleaner Pro simply clicked "No" instead of "Yes" on reboot or a normal login when the system gave me the option. With that only change, things were back to normal. I posted this fix on an Apple discussions thread and noticed another person who had the same problem, and also had McAfee and CCleaner Pro, removed McAfee and kept CCleaner Pro and the problem went away for him. So to be fair, it could be that CCleaner Pro was in conflict with McAfee causing the problem. Regardless, I have since removed both CCleaner Pro and McAfee entirely and switched to Bitdefender Total Security. The One-click optimizer that is within the utilities in Bitdefender Total Security nicely replaces the functionality I was using CCleaner Pro for and my PC works great now. Both problems are gone. No problem with the File Explorer or iTunes.

Hope this helps someone.

:)

JohnRenzi, Mar 30, 2021

2. Windows 10 File Explorer: No Automatic Refresh

After a few days, File Explorer stops automatically refreshing. Operations like:

• Adding or renaming a file
    • Deleting a file
    • Adding a folder
    • Moving a file/folder
    • etc.
    complete successfully, but nothing happens visually until I manually press F5.

Some of you may realize that this question has
    been asked several
    times
    before, like this one nine
    years ago
    . I've tried every single resolution step I can find that's been suggested. The problem always returns.

I think it's time someone from Microsoft answers this question properly. Why does a well documented bug like this go this long without a fix? Can you provide a solution that works and hasn't been blindly copied and pasted multiple times?

Whimsical Seaplane, Mar 30, 2021
  3. Matazel Win User
    Windows explorer fails to auto-refresh after file operations

Windows explorer fails to auto-refresh after file operations
    Windows 10

After file operations, rename, delete, etc., the file manager fails to update itself. After each operation I must press F5 to update the file list in file manager. sfc - did not found any violations.

Matazel, Mar 30, 2021
  4. Try3 Win User

Windows Explorer refuses to refresh Explorer

Masterchef,

I have had this problem and so have lots of other people. None of the suggested solutions I found on the internet had anything other than a temporary effect. The problem eventually went away of its own accord but still rears its ugly head from time to time. I only kept a few links on the subject -
    Desktop or Explorer does not refresh automatically in Windows
    Windows Explorer doesn't refresh by itself - Microsoft Community
    windows file list does not auto refresh-update - Microsoft Answers [Windows 7]
    Windows Explorer doesn't refresh when moving-deleting - TechNet [Windows 7]

When the problem reappears, I restart the computer. If that does not resolve matters then I accept the situation and don't waste my time chasing non-solutions. You might wish to consider adopting the same approach.

All the best,
    Denis

Thema:

1. Fixed Problem of File Explorer Not Auto-refreshing by Removing CCleaner - Similar Threads - Fixed Problem File

2. Windows file explorer auto refresh not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows file explorer auto refresh not working: When I save or delete files from folders they don't appear until I manually hit F5 to see the changes. Not sure why it's not auto refreshing the folders anymore?...
  3. Windows file explorer auto refresh not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows file explorer auto refresh not working: When I save or delete files from folders they don't appear until I manually hit F5 to see the changes. Not sure why it's not auto refreshing the folders anymore?...
  4. Windows file explorer auto refresh not working

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows Explorer stops auto refreshing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer stops auto refreshing: Sometimes Windows Explorer stops auto refreshing randomly for no reason. I must press F5 everytime i made changes, quite annoying. Restarting all Explorer.exe processes from task manager solved it, but the problem comes back again later Do anyone know what caused this...
  6. Fixed Problem of File Explorer Not Auto-refreshing by Removing CCleaner

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fixed Problem of File Explorer Not Auto-refreshing by Removing CCleaner: Basically I had two issues: 1. File Explorer was not auto-refreshing. I would have to hit the F5 button to refresh. E.g., when I opened File Explorer, no files would show up or be very slow to show up. Or if I changed a file name or if I added or deleted a file, the...
  7. File Explorer not auto-refreshing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer not auto-refreshing: I am doing some data entry work tagging and sorting a large volume of documents, but every time I am done with a document, I need to manually refresh the folder to see it placed in its new position. While this normally would be a quick and mundane task, I need to...
  8. File Explorer not auto-refreshing

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer not auto-refreshing: I am doing some data entry work tagging and sorting a large volume of documents, but every time I am done with a document, I need to manually refresh the folder to see it placed in its new position. While this normally would be a quick and mundane task, I need to...
  9. File Explorer Refresh Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Refresh Problem: On the Public Version I have my background changing every minute and it is causing File Explorer to refresh when it changes to the next image. So if I'm looking down a long list trying to find a specific file I lose my place every time the Background image changes as File...
  10. Refresh problem in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Refresh problem in File Explorer: In an earlier thread, I reported that following an update file explorer no longer automatically refreshes after a deletion or change. I tried all the suggestions, but the problem persists. So I swapped a recently made clone of the hard drive and booted that. The same problem...