Windows 10: Fixing a drive that is now detected as RAW in Windows with TestDisk

Discus and support Fixing a drive that is now detected as RAW in Windows with TestDisk in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I may have had a USB issue with my external hard drive I ended up with the issue where the drive is now detected as RAW and unable to be detected by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by firehawk12, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Fixing a drive that is now detected as RAW in Windows with TestDisk

I may have had a USB issue with my external hard drive I ended up with the issue where the drive is now detected as RAW and unable to be detected by Windows - it gives both the "Parameter is missing" error and asks me to format.
    PhotoRec is able to recover files, so at the very least I know the files are still there, but I'd really like to be able to recover the disk entirely to be able to get the files out in the original context and I've read from my searches that TestDisk might be able to do that for me. However, after trying to follow some instructions and posts online I'm kind of stuck.

After analyzing the drive, when I try to view the files I get this error:

Fixing a drive that is now detected as RAW in Windows with TestDisk [​IMG]

I've seen from other instructions that using the Advanced menu options to try to recover the Boot Sector is the next step, but Test Disk doesn't give me that option (it does on other drives that I know are working).

Is my next step to try a Deep Scan? Or is there something I'm missing? Or is the boot sector to make it recognized as NTFS not recoverable and I should use PhotoRec or some other software (any recommendations) to just pull the files off the partition and format the drive?
    Thanks!

Note - This is what DiskPart shows:

And here is the link to my TestDisk log file if that may be useful: Fri Feb 5 00:00:08 2021Command line: TestDiskTestDisk 7.2-WIP, Data R - Pastebin.com

:)

firehawk12, Feb 5, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Raw formatted my external

Your HD became RAW (Corrupted Master Boot Record) for one of the reasons below:
    1. HD is going bad
    2. Power Surge
    3. You unplug the cable and did not use "Safely Remove" while the HD is performing disk I/O

Download test disk and follow the link below
    UPDATED How To Fix: External Disk Drive Suddenly Became RAW

topgundcp, Feb 5, 2021
  3. Harddisk is RAW

Do NOT attempt to write anything to the drive. Otherwise you may lose data that is important to you. You can likely recover most if not all the data on your drive. Data recovery is beyond the scope of this article. However, the free tool TestDisk can likely recover your data.

Once you’ve recovered your data, you can proceed to the next step to repair your RAW drive.

TestDisk Step By Step - CGSecurity

FreeBooter, Feb 5, 2021
  4. darkf0xx Win User

Fixing a drive that is now detected as RAW in Windows with TestDisk

Raw formatted my external

nope, it became raw because the program I used was trying to use it as a boot drive so it attempted to reformat but I stopped it instantly. I would rather not have to fix it from a boot, I need a good way to do it from windows. I dont wanna be sitting in a black screen for 6hrs+ while some random program may or may not fix my hdd.

darkf0xx, Feb 5, 2021
Thema:

Fixing a drive that is now detected as RAW in Windows with TestDisk

1. Fixing a drive that is now detected as RAW in Windows with TestDisk - Similar Threads - Fixing drive detected

2. 8GB Flash drive detected as a RAW Flash Drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    8GB Flash drive detected as a RAW Flash Drive.: Hello, so I need help, and it's very hard, so if there's a master at this, try to help me. Anyway, I need help, and somehow when I plug in my red flash drive, which is an 8 gig one, it shows up and it says that directory B: is not found. I tried to check it out in disc...
  3. 8GB Flash drive detected as a RAW Flash Drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    8GB Flash drive detected as a RAW Flash Drive.: Hello, so I need help, and it's very hard, so if there's a master at this, try to help me. Anyway, I need help, and somehow when I plug in my red flash drive, which is an 8 gig one, it shows up and it says that directory B: is not found. I tried to check it out in disc...
  4. Fixing a drive that is now detected as RAW in Windows with TestDisk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Fixing a drive that is now detected as RAW in Windows with TestDisk: I may have had a USB issue with my external hard drive I ended up with the issue where the drive is now detected as RAW and unable to be detected by Windows - it gives both the "Parameter is missing" error and asks me to format. PhotoRec is able to recover files, so at the...
  5. USB drive RAW

USB drive RAW: It said i need to format the drive to use it,but i dont want to,since there are important files in it,i cant check for disk errors since there was no recognized file system,please help if you can,thanks....
  6. raw hard drive

raw hard drive: hallo I have a hard drive that was gpt ntfs used as secondary drive. (storage) I set a wrong id for the volume and then i understand my mistake and i set again the good id (ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7) But now the ntfs is shown as raw. The check disk show:...
  7. Recovering a "RAW" drive

Recovering a "RAW" drive: Ordinary 6TB HDD plugged into an external carrier, USB3 to the laptop. Worked fine. Had a situation where the power went off and on to the carrier several times and suddenly the HDD says it's NOT formatted, it's a 'RAW' drive. I don't want to recover the 250,000 or so files...
  8. Is TestDisk safe to use?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is TestDisk safe to use?: Wasn't sure where to put this. Anyway My sd card suddenly started saying it needed formatted. I have some family photos and stuff that I would like to recover. I found this: TestDisk - Partition Recovery and File Undelete But I am unsure how safe it is. Anyone know...
  9. What is a RAW drive and how do I fix it?

What is a RAW drive and how do I fix it?: I have an external WD hard drive that I have used for over a year, it is connected by a USB 3.0 plugable docking station. When I reboot my Win10 PC everything is wonderful (insert music here.) However, after a while, sometimes, and only recently, my drive act VERY STRANGELY...
  10. Help with TestDisk, fixing master file table

Help with TestDisk, fixing master file table: My laptop crashed last week and it seems to have messed up the hard drive. Chkdsk says the master file table is corrupted and Windows couldn't recover it, so I wanted to try using TestDisk to repair it since I've read other people have had success with that. But when I go to...