Windows 10: Fixing Boot

Discus and support Fixing Boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone. Thank you for having me. I have recently started using a new laptop (HP Pavilion 15 cs, Windows 10 home 1909) and had many work tools... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by assafuz, Feb 19, 2020.

1. assafuz Win User

Fixing Boot

Hi everyone.
    Thank you for having me.

I have recently started using a new laptop (HP Pavilion 15 cs, Windows 10 home 1909) and had many work tools installed on it.
    Yesterday I tried to install a new RAM which matches the older one, increasing from 8 to 16gb.
    After putting everything back together, I received an error message saying boot device isn't found. At first I was sure I damaged the MoBo or touched the NVME the OS is installed on, but it does appear in the BIOS and the memory was installed properly.
    It was suggested by a friend who is a computer technician that an update stopped at the middle caused the damage.

Since yesterday I was attempting to fix the boot via various methods:
    I tried to make a repair from the windows menu, but after diagnostics there was no positive results. I've tried a DOK with Windows installation on it, but wasn't able to repair it.
    I also found an old post regarding the subject, trying to bootrec /FixBoot and after many times of getting "access in denied", I managed to solve it (bootsect/nt60 sys), but still no results.

What I wasn't able to do via diskpart is set the volume to Active, since I receive an error:
    The selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk.
    The ACTIVE command can only be used on fixed MBR disks.

-----------
    I will be glad not being needed to reinstall everything again. Therefor will happily accept help and support.
    Either via Windows tools or external tools (someone suggested HBCD).

Please help with anything you think is relevant.

Thank you

:)

assafuz, Feb 19, 2020
  2. GNJha Win User

Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Feb 19, 2020
  3. ram93 Win User
    laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Feb 19, 2020
  4. zbook Win User

Fixing Boot

Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Feb 19, 2020
Thema:

Fixing Boot

1. Fixing Boot - Similar Threads - Fixing Boot

2. MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...: Problem - tiny text at top of screen and all popups.Spent over 7 hrs with 8 different MS Win 11 tech people and problem not solved.Would like to set up dual boot to Linux - if so, will I have access to all my files AND programs?If Linux solves the problem, can I then delete...
  3. MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...: Problem - tiny text at top of screen and all popups.Spent over 7 hrs with 8 different MS Win 11 tech people and problem not solved.Would like to set up dual boot to Linux - if so, will I have access to all my files AND programs?If Linux solves the problem, can I then delete...
  4. Lenovo Ideapad laptop does not boot. Using command line to fix the problem results in...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lenovo Ideapad laptop does not boot. Using command line to fix the problem results in...: My LenovoIdeapad 3 laptop bluescreened and now cannot boot to windows. Startup repair does not work. I have tried following command line instructions, for example here https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2021/09/recovery-options-in-windows-11.html#.YgnrtYhBzIWHowever when trying...
  5. Lenovo Ideapad laptop does not boot. Using command line to fix the problem results in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenovo Ideapad laptop does not boot. Using command line to fix the problem results in...: My LenovoIdeapad 3 laptop bluescreened and now cannot boot to windows. Startup repair does not work. I have tried following command line instructions, for example here https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2021/09/recovery-options-in-windows-11.html#.YgnrtYhBzIWHowever when trying...
  6. Lenovo Ideapad laptop does not boot. Using command line to fix the problem results in...

7. how to fix blue screen unmountable boot volume on windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to fix blue screen unmountable boot volume on windows 11?: Please answer me soon, how to fix the blue screen, when I turn on the laptop it shows the company logo, then the blue screen, then restarts and the same action repeats, stop code: unmountable boot volume and on windows 11...
  8. how to fix blue screen unmountable boot volume on windows 11?

how to fix blue screen unmountable boot volume on windows 11?: Please answer me soon, how to fix the blue screen, when I turn on the laptop it shows the company logo, then the blue screen, then restarts and the same action repeats, stop code: unmountable boot volume and on windows 11...
  9. how to fix boot drive X: failure due Errors i uppercase file?

how to fix boot drive X: failure due Errors i uppercase file?: Since windows 10 RE was not able to fix it and no backups exists.Plan is to make bootable USB drive where i need product key....how to find that?Just to try if chkdsk /F/R would fix the problem.I just just doubt a bit can i find my PC all mounted drives when i start-up via...
  10. how to fix boot drive X: failure due Errors i uppercase file?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to fix boot drive X: failure due Errors i uppercase file?: Since windows 10 RE was not able to fix it and no backups exists.Plan is to make bootable USB drive where i need product key....how to find that?Just to try if chkdsk /F/R would fix the problem.I just just doubt a bit can i find my PC all mounted drives when i start-up via...