Windows 10: Fixing corrupted files in Windows

Discus and support Fixing corrupted files in Windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm having issues with Windows, such as the Start menu refusing to come up when clicking the Start button or using the Windows key and the Settings... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AtlantaGeek, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Fixing corrupted files in Windows

I'm having issues with Windows, such as the Start menu refusing to come up when clicking the Start button or using the Windows key and the Settings window just coming up as a solid blue window with nothing in it. So I'm thinking I need to repair Windows, but, in reality, it seems there is no way to do that. Yes, there are recovery options, but it seems there is nothing that ONLY repairs Windows files and doesn't uninstall your apps, etc. You can keep your files, but not your apps, it seems. This is for MS tools. Maybe third party tools do a better job than MS can do with its own product, I don't know. But I hope I'm wrong, because I'd like to find a way to touch and repair only Windows files and not any of my apps or data. SFC did not help. I haven't tried a reset due to the issue with the apps being uninstalled. Is there a way to affect only Windows files, because I'm not seeing it right now.

:)

AtlantaGeek, Feb 18, 2020

2. Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, Feb 18, 2020
  3. Corrupt file - Can't fix. [Fixed]

Hi Vincent,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community.

Before proceeding, please check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Ref: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

Please perform the below steps and see if it helps to resolve the issue.

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Hope this information helps. Please post us if you need any further assistance with Windows.

Thank you.

Sagnik_Chakraborty, Feb 18, 2020
  4. malware Win User

Fixing corrupted files in Windows

Microsoft Windows Home Server Corrupts Files

Microsoft has warned Windows Home Server users not to edit files stored on their backup systems with several of its programs, including Vista Photo Gallery and Office's OneNote and Outlook, as well as files generated by popular finance software such as Quicken and QuickBooks. "When you use certain programs to edit files on a home computer that uses Windows Home Server, the files may become corrupted when you save them to the home server," Microsoft said in a support document posted last week. The document went on to list the software, which includes Windows Vista Photo Gallery, Windows Live Photo Gallery, OneNote 2003, OneNote 2007, Outlook 2007, Microsoft Money 2007 and SyncToy 2.0 Beta. Others programs, however, may also corrupt files stored on a home server powered by Microsoft's operating system. "Additionally, there have been customer reports of issues with Torrent applications, with Intuit Quicken and with QuickBooks program files," the document said. "Until an update for Windows Home Server is available, we recommend that [you] do not use the programs that are listed to save or to edit program-specific files that are stored on a Windows Home Server-based system."

Source: Computerworld

malware, Feb 18, 2020
Thema:

Fixing corrupted files in Windows

1. Fixing corrupted files in Windows - Similar Threads - Fixing corrupted files

2. Can't fix corrupt windows file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't fix corrupt windows file: Hello, For around a year now I've been having difficulty with any microsoft apps on my PC. Initially I paid little mind to the issues as I rarely used most of the systems on my computer other than the basic security scanners however I now need to use certain apps from the...
  3. how to fix windows corrupted files?

how to fix windows corrupted files?: Hi all, I really hope someone will assist me here.sorry for the long post...i have one laptop with windows 7.and one PC with windows 10,on the windows 7 i have perfectly working OneDrive.on the other hand, i tried to install today OneDrive on the windows 10 but nothing...
  4. Corrupted Files Fix

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Corrupted Files Fix: Recently an issue arose with a large number of video files that I NEED for work.The files were accidentally deleted and then recovered via Wondershare Recoverit.The files have returned to my PC hard drive but are now stated as corrupted when trying to open. Is there any...
  5. Corrupted Files Fix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted Files Fix: Recently an issue arose with a large number of video files that I NEED for work.The files were accidentally deleted and then recovered via Wondershare Recoverit.The files have returned to my PC hard drive but are now stated as corrupted when trying to open. Is there any...
  6. Corrupted Files Fix

7. Fix for corrupted files

Fix for corrupted files: I am recently installed windows 10 after that files didn't opened it says " the file or directory is corrupted or unreadable " for all types file like jgp , mov , exe and i checked the security permission they are ok but i doesn't work. please help me...
  8. fix corrupt files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    fix corrupt files: Hi everyone, I've been trying to update my laptop to a newer version of Windows 10 for a while now I'm still running 1803. But every time I start the update it cancels at 88%, undoes all the changes made, and it gives me this error code: 0xc1900101. I tries multiple things...
  9. Fixing Corrupt Files?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fixing Corrupt Files?: I ran the sfc /scannow command from the command prompt to attempt to do some general maintenance. here is what I see after the scan. Code: Beginning system scan. This process will take some time. Beginning verification phase of system scan. Verification 100% complete....
  10. fix corrupt files

in Windows 10 Support
    fix corrupt files: I apparently got one or some corrupted files during last update... Computer Win 7 Pro works fine but sfc/scannow etc including install repair wont fix.... will Windows 10 install fix these?? thanks toim 4907