Windows 10: Fixing external Disk is very slow!

Discus and support Fixing external Disk is very slow! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have Windows 10. I had a problem with my external hard drive it said fatal hardware error as it was not recognized by the system, though... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GuyRosen, Jan 6, 2020.

1. GuyRosen Win User

Fixing external Disk is very slow!

Hi,

I have Windows 10.

I had a problem with my external hard drive it said fatal hardware error as it was not recognized by the system, though found as disk F:\. I restarted as sometimes it fixes such bugs.

right at the start of booting, windows started fixing my external hard drive, completing after an hour.

At this point the explorer did not work properly, so I restarted it again. That was about 17 hours ago.

The computer tried to fix my external again, and is stuck on stage 2 where it's progress in a very slow.

write now the message I get is:

Fixing F: Stage 2: 92% 372408 of 400908; Total 71% ETA 6:09:27..

17 hours ago it was on 372108, so with this rate it will take months just to complete stage 2!

what should I do??

I would appreciate any help and/or suggestions.

I must add that loosing the files within the external hard drive is not an option, but not using the computer for about half a year is not desirable as well...

My system is Windows 10

Thank you in advance!

:)

GuyRosen, Jan 6, 2020

2. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jan 6, 2020
  3. Can't find External Hard disk?

Hi,

Thank you for coming back to us.

To assist you better, please provide us more information

• Did you tried all the methods from my previous response?

• What is the make and model of the external disk?

• Does the external device is detecting on Disk management?
    The issue you are facing could be due to external disk driver is being outdated. You can also try below steps to update the external disk driver and check.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device manager.

• Click on Universal Serial Bus to expand it, right click on the
      device and Update it.
    Hope this helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Fixing external Disk is very slow!

Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Fixing external Disk is very slow! :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

Fixing external Disk is very slow!

1. Fixing external Disk is very slow! - Similar Threads - Fixing external Disk

2. how to fix the external disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to fix the external disk: i have my 32 gb pendrive and most of the important file are in itbut after some day when i plug in my pen drive it show "you need to format your disk"when i check my disk from disk managment it show only 64 mb space with raw file system i tried every possible way to fix like...
  3. My external USB hard disk drive is very slow on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My external USB hard disk drive is very slow on Windows 11: When I connect my external HardDisk to my Dell Laptop with Windows 11 Os installed, I see following event. And I see my external USB hard disk drive is very slow for any operation. Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date:...
  4. My external USB hard disk drive is very slow on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My external USB hard disk drive is very slow on Windows 11: When I connect my external HardDisk to my Dell Laptop with Windows 11 Os installed, I see following event. And I see my external USB hard disk drive is very slow for any operation. Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date:...
  5. External Drive thumbnails loading very slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External Drive thumbnails loading very slow: So I have an external drive connected to my main Alienware Laptop via either usb, I do a lot of photo editing and processing but I've found the biggest time waster for me is whenever I browse through my thumbnail files on any of my external drives, they take such a long time...
  6. External Drive thumbnails loading very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Drive thumbnails loading very slow: So I have an external drive connected to my main Alienware Laptop via either usb, I do a lot of photo editing and processing but I've found the biggest time waster for me is whenever I browse through my thumbnail files on any of my external drives, they take such a long time...
  7. External very slow to copy files onto it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External very slow to copy files onto it: I normally copy a folder full of files (9GB) off my Windows 10 pc onto 2 External Drives as backup Do it weekly and never had a problem. I copied the folder to one of the extenals today and it took 7 minutes Started to copy them to the second External straight afterwards and...
  8. External disk fixing takes very long time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External disk fixing takes very long time: Hi, I have Windows 10. I had a problem with my external hard drive it said fatal hardware error as it was not recognized by the system, though found as disk F:\. I restarted as sometimes it fixes such bugs. right at the start of booting, windows started fixing my...
  9. Copying to external Hdd very slow

Copying to external Hdd very slow: Hi all, I have a I5 desktop 8gb memory, with a 256 ssd startup-disk (C:\) and an internal Hdd 2Tb (D:\) where all my files are stored. The windows-version is 10 pro. Now i have an external Hdd 3Tb connected via USB3 to my pc. I 'd like to make a 1on1 copy of all my...
  10. How to fix a very slow laptop?

How to fix a very slow laptop?: SSD may not help with processing power but sure helps with program starting, Even with normal use, windows reads and writes several GB daily and there's also virtual memory that works much better with SSD. There's also superfetch and prefetch using disk all the time.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fixing slow external drive