Windows 10: Fixing Network Names in Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Fixing Network Names in Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have followed the guide here to adjust the arbitrary "Network 3" network name that showed up on the bottom right of the screen on the Task Bar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GregH, Jun 23, 2020.

1. GregH Win User

Fixing Network Names in Windows 10 Pro

Hello, I have followed the guide here to adjust the arbitrary "Network 3" network name that showed up on the bottom right of the screen on the Task Bar using the Security Policy. That worked perfectly. However I notice that the incorrect name still shows when going to Start > Settings > Network & Internet > View Your Network Properties.In my case when selecting this, I see the below information. The green part changed when I followed the Security Policy renaming guide on these forums but the top "Name" is also not correct, shows an old ISP that I no longer use. How can I manually change this? I checked through my routers menu and it does not appear to be pulling this name from the router.

Windows 10 Pro x64, connected using ethernet cable (fibre)

Thanks in advance.
    Fixing Network Names in Windows 10 Pro [​IMG]

:)

GregH, Jun 23, 2020

2. How do I change the network adapter name? (Windows 10)

Press Windows Key + R, type secpol.msc and press Enter to run it. In Local Security Policy window, go to the Network List Manager Policies in the left pane. Now in the right pane double click on the network name that you want to change. In the Properties windows under the Name section make sure that Name is selected. Now in the input field enter the name that you wish to use for your connection. Click Apply then OK to save the changes. And you might have to log in again or to restart your computer before the changes are applied.

lorraine walsh, Jun 23, 2020
  3. AsRock Win User
  4. Fixing Network Names in Windows 10 Pro

Windows 10; Network Name

Hi,

The Registry steps follower that resolved the issue.

But could you tell us why it appears to select a network status name based on your past Wi-Fi network connections, and then applies it to your wired Ethernet connection?

Thanks.

Mason

masontseng, Jun 23, 2020
Thema:

Fixing Network Names in Windows 10 Pro

1. Fixing Network Names in Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Fixing Network Names

2. Windows 10 network name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 network name: Hi.We have a small network- 5 pcs running windows 10 pro.All machines , have static IP numbersDNS and Default Gateway is set to the BT routerOver the past while we have had to change our router BT.As a consequence, the basic network information, shows different Network...
  3. Windows 10 network name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 network name: Hi.We have a small network- 5 pcs running windows 10 pro.All machines , have static IP numbersDNS and Default Gateway is set to the BT routerOver the past while we have had to change our router BT.As a consequence, the basic network information, shows different Network...
  4. Windows 10 network name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How to fix pc name not showing in Network folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix pc name not showing in Network folder?: How do I fix the pc name not showing in the Network folder in File Explorer in Windows 11 Pro? I have tried stopping FDResPub service and restarting. The pc shows up on a Windows 10 Pro laptop on the same family network. Also, the Windows 10 laptop shows on the Windows 11 Pro...
  6. How to fix pc name not showing in Network folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix pc name not showing in Network folder?: How do I fix the pc name not showing in the Network folder in File Explorer in Windows 11 Pro? I have tried stopping FDResPub service and restarting. The pc shows up on a Windows 10 Pro laptop on the same family network. Also, the Windows 10 laptop shows on the Windows 11 Pro...
  7. Network 'names'

Network 'names': Until recently I could select which network to connect to, including an external device that only uses wifi and does not need internet. Now, instead of names for the networks, downstairs, upstairs, mydevice, etc., it shows Connected to local area 2, or 3, etc. I need those...
  8. Network Names

Network Names: Hallo folks! I have four internet channels.. 2 wifi, and 2 ethernet. Now, when I install the two wifi channels I have sometimes back a wifi24000 and another wifi5000. These names works perfect, but regarding the Ethernet connections, my computer is connecting to the...
  9. Network Name

Network Name: In Windows 10, how do I change the Network Name of my Local Area Connection? Do NOT suggest I run secpol.msc, because the Windows Run command says it can't find secpol.msc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-name/7dece558-e1ec-4da0-8079-2370ba305189
  10. Change network printer name in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change network printer name in Windows 10: In our company we have a network printer which has an ethernet connection and a web based interface for configuration. If I have installed drivers for this printer on two computers, A and B, and on the computer B I change the printer name via Control Panel -> Devices and...