Windows 10: Fixing the Windows 10 explorer refresh problem via registry DontRefresh

Discus and support Fixing the Windows 10 explorer refresh problem via registry DontRefresh in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I am trying to fix the windows explorer refresh problem, and I have tried various things with little success. The current fix for this problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TheKoryu, Apr 15, 2020.

1. TheKoryu Win User

Fixing the Windows 10 explorer refresh problem via registry DontRefresh

Hi

I am trying to fix the windows explorer refresh problem, and I have tried various things with little success.

The current fix for this problem should be to add a registry entry "DontRefresh" with value 0 as described here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-refresh/703492e6-dffb-4344-9699-7e41b2c4ddee

After I add this key the explorer is refreshing but after a reboot the problem returns and the windows explorer does not refresh on editing, adding or deleting files.

Now something interesting happens: if I reopen regedit via windows+r after reboot the regedit starts and shows the last opened entry at

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F\Instance

I am not changing anything here. Only open regedit and then close it again.

Now when I open a new explorer window the refreshing works! So opening and closing regedit after each start seems like a workaround.

What is happening when opening regedit that it fixes the problem without the user changing anything? How to fix the problem permantently?

:)

TheKoryu, Apr 15, 2020

2. dontrefresh not found

Working with Windows 10, file and folder name edits must be manually refreshed in order to show their change. It appears from web searches, the typical solution is to go into the
    Registry Editor and find the following:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CLSID/dontrefresh

If the value is 1, change it to 0. (first back up your data)

The issue is that dontrefresh doesn't exist or can't be found. That in itself may be the problem - no idea.

Anyone have any clues how to fix this?

DieterJanssen, Apr 15, 2020
  3. Windows Explorer refuses to refresh Explorer

Ever since upgrading to 1709, I've noticed that Windows Explorer is refusing to automatically refresh files and folders when a change is made. For example, if I download a file and then delete that file, Explorer prompts if I want to delete the file. I press yes and yet the Explorer window still shows the file. Not until I press the "refresh" button in Explorer does it refresh the window.

I've been banging my head against this issue and can't seem to find a fix. I have checked the registry for the dontrefresh key and I have set it to zero. The key did not exist before. I've also tried to rebuild icon cache and other cache.

Any thoughts?

Masterchiefxx17, Apr 15, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Fixing the Windows 10 explorer refresh problem via registry DontRefresh - Similar Threads - Fixing explorer refresh

2. Window Explorer Refresh Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Window Explorer Refresh Problem: Can someone tell me a solution to solve the window explorer refresh problem? Frustrating that solution is not permanent and comes back again. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-explorer-refresh-problem/1ddfb423-b13d-4d61-aee6-861fcd6f5677
  3. Window Explorer Refresh Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window Explorer Refresh Problem: Can someone tell me a solution to solve the window explorer refresh problem? Frustrating that solution is not permanent and comes back again. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-explorer-refresh-problem/1ddfb423-b13d-4d61-aee6-861fcd6f5677
  4. Window Explorer Refresh Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I understand there is a fix for the problem with Automatic refresh in the explorer. In the...

I understand there is a fix for the problem with Automatic refresh in the explorer. In the...: If I try to copy, paste, move or rename a file or folder, I have to ht the refresh button or F5 for it to "take". Othersie it will no appear as I wanted it to. In other words, the file will be changed , but it willstill have the old name. If I paste a file into a folder it...
  6. I understand there is a fix for the problem with Automatic refresh in the explorer. In the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I understand there is a fix for the problem with Automatic refresh in the explorer. In the...: If I try to copy, paste, move or rename a file or folder, I have to ht the refresh button or F5 for it to "take". Othersie it will no appear as I wanted it to. In other words, the file will be changed , but it willstill have the old name. If I paste a file into a folder it...
  7. I understand there is a fix for the problem with Automatic refresh in the explorer. In the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Fixed Problem of File Explorer Not Auto-refreshing by Removing CCleaner

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Fixed Problem of File Explorer Not Auto-refreshing by Removing CCleaner: Basically I had two issues: 1. File Explorer was not auto-refreshing. I would have to hit the F5 button to refresh. E.g., when I opened File Explorer, no files would show up or be very slow to show up. Or if I changed a file name or if I added or deleted a file, the...
  9. File Explorer Refresh Problem

File Explorer Refresh Problem: On the Public Version I have my background changing every minute and it is causing File Explorer to refresh when it changes to the next image. So if I'm looking down a long list trying to find a specific file I lose my place every time the Background image changes as File...
  10. Refresh problem in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Refresh problem in File Explorer: In an earlier thread, I reported that following an update file explorer no longer automatically refreshes after a deletion or change. I tried all the suggestions, but the problem persists. So I swapped a recently made clone of the hard drive and booted that. The same problem...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dontrefresh registry key doesnt exist