Windows 10: Flash bites again: Huge malware campaign on Yahoo ads hits millions

Discus and support Flash bites again: Huge malware campaign on Yahoo ads hits millions in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Yahoo has shut down a massive malware campaign that may have affected millions of visitors to its sites. Yahoo confirmed it had stopped the scheme,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Aug 4, 2015.

1. labeeman Win User

Flash bites again: Huge malware campaign on Yahoo ads hits millions

Source

labeeman, Aug 4, 2015

2. Another good reason to ban Internet advertising (and Flash).

"Old Media" should lobby the Government; "No one has ever caught PC malware from a newspaper ad."

:)

lehnerus2000, Aug 4, 2015
  3. JS/Flafisi.D & Malwarebytes

Using System Restore will most likely just give your system hiccups (or worse) and won’t have any effect on the recurrence of this fake Adobe Flash Player update. From what we understand, the problem isn't that this threat hasn't been removed, it's
    that it's being delivered again every time a compromised domain connects to the host site. So the only remedy; short of finding a new homepage, or a new browser; is to use an ad-blocker to prevent the malware-ridden domain from connecting.

[Edit for update]

We’ve now identified the source of this fake Adobe Flash Player update as the
    Kovter Group malvertising campaign. Here’s the explanation:

Kovter Group malvertising campaign exposes millions to potential malware and fraud

[end Edit]

Install the uBlock Origen extension for Edge, and then run it with its default settings:

Settings and more > Extensions > Get extensions from the store

uBlock Origin documentation:

gorhill/uBlock

But also run some of these third-party malware-removal apps in order to make sure that you don’t have some other kind of malware running in the background:

List of Malware Removal Tools

GreginMich, Aug 4, 2015
  4. Flash bites again: Huge malware campaign on Yahoo ads hits millions

On Windows 10 I cannot permanently get rid of a Trojan called: JS/Flafisi.D

We’ve now identified the source of this fake Adobe Flash Player update (Trojan:JS/Flafisi.D) as the
    Kovter Group malvertising campaign. Here’s the scoop:

Kovter Group malvertising campaign exposes millions to potential malware and fraud

I also discovered today that while Windows Defender detects and "quarantines" this threat, the FlashPlayer.hta file will still be downloaded from this page without being intercepted if you click on the “Save" button; and could potentially be
    executed by clicking on the "Run” button – so please be careful with this one:

Flash bites again: Huge malware campaign on Yahoo ads hits millions [​IMG]

GreginMich, Aug 4, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    I could agree with Flash but Internet advertising is how John and others pay for sites like this one.

BunnyJ, Aug 4, 2015
  6. I have no real objection to static ads (they could use gifs just like in the "Good Old Days").

lehnerus2000, Aug 4, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    +1.. add flash to anything can be problematic at best.

BunnyJ, Aug 4, 2015
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Actually not quite true -- well you can't get PC malware but you most certainly can get Scammed -- people have often replied via Newspaper ads to "Scams" etc -- in particular - "Ponzi Schemes" and Investment Boiler House schemes. There are all sorts of other Scams one could get lured into via a newspaper Ad. What about "Timeshares" on non existent properties etc etc.

Scams have been around since Man ever started trading -- it's just that it's probably easier to become a "Scamee" (i.e a Victim) much quicker using the Internet than by using other conventional ways of advertising.

The only way you could stop Scams is to ban TRADING of any sort -- That's just not going to happen.

Education is the only answer :

Remember "The Price of Education is expensive -- but the price of Ignorance is Astronomical". I don't know who first said that but it's even truer today than probably when that phrase was first coined.

I do agree though Non Static ads are HUGELY irritating -- I can live with some STATIC advertising on sites -- things do have to be paid for - but irritating the customer seems the wrong way to go about it - especially as it leads to POORER security too.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 4, 2015
  9. CountMike New Member
    For very long time now I have Flash set to ask to initialize and don't have no Flash based live adds but at most leave black holes on screen. Wander if any of adds are made in HTML5 ?

CountMike, Aug 4, 2015
  10. Antilope Win User
    Three programs that I keep off my computers are Adobe Acrobat, Java and Adobe Flash. Prevents a lot of problems.

Antilope, Aug 4, 2015
  11. groze Win User
    How do you tell if your infected or not? The way I back-up recently may have saved me. However, I may need to re-do a clean install of 10 and delete the backup image of windows 10. Firefox defaults to yahoo for search results.

groze, Aug 4, 2015
  12. CountMike New Member
    There's no guarantee that you will be infected, odds of getting infected are not great. Some unusual activity may suggest infection but there are many other more dangerous things. Malwarebytes and others like that can detect and clean, I also use Advanced cleaner and Avast Browser Cleanup.
    FF can be set to use Google and other search engines by default.

CountMike, Aug 4, 2015
  13. Antilope Win User

Something to worry about with clean installs now, malware can't write to a clean DVD copy of the Windows installer, but it can to a USB flash drive (unless it has some kind of write protection).

Antilope, Aug 4, 2015
  14. groze Win User
    Not the way I do things. I am currently scanning images from a clean windows 7 with Malwarebytes.

groze, Aug 4, 2015
  15. Burgurne Win User
    +1 I do the same *Wink

Burgurne, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

1. Flash bites again: Huge malware campaign on Yahoo ads hits millions - Similar Threads - Flash bites again

2. 0 bites on Onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0 bites on Onedrive: I have a problem after recovering stuff from OneDrive I could see my files. When I tried recovering them back from the recycling bin from OneDrive it said the file has 0 bites and there is multiple files for alot folders. I'm not sure what 0 bites means? Even when I tried to...
  3. Bite me Microsoft

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bite me Microsoft: When it is time for another worthless update, how about just showing a window saying it's time instead of making my computer run like **** until it is obvious that Microsoft wants to install another POS update?...
  4. Bite me Microsoft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bite me Microsoft: When it is time for another worthless update, how about just showing a window saying it's time instead of making my computer run like **** until it is obvious that Microsoft wants to install another POS update?...
  5. Yahoo Malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Yahoo Malware: Hi, does anyone know how to remove malware called "search powered by Yahoo" ? I've tried to uninstall but it won't delete. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/yahoo-malware/e32df220-6a94-4f2d-b2cf-3b1218007ee0
  6. Adding a Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding a Flash Drive: I inserted a flash drive in and the device manager seed it but I can't find it anywhere. How do I get it working? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-a-flash-drive/ad901557-3528-4dc4-bc0f-22469a2ee5de
  7. Huge Android trojan malware campaign was discovered

in Windows 10 News
    Huge Android trojan malware campaign was discovered: A giant botnet and banking trojan malware operation has infected hundreds of thousands of Android users since at least 2016 – but mistakes by the group have revealed details of the campaign and how they operate. Dubbed the Geost botnet after a name repeatedly found in the...
  8. May have been hit with Malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    May have been hit with Malware: I am running Windows 10 Pro on my laptop. I had the thing setup to always display my desktop as opposed to the Windows 10 start menu. Almost all of my applications had icons on the desktop. Now when I start, my desktop is totally empty even the color was changed. I used...
  9. Google to hit pause on Flash ads in Chrome on September 1

in Windows 10 News
    Google to hit pause on Flash ads in Chrome on September 1: Google will hammer one more nail in Flash's coffin with a feature that will soon prevent many Flash ads from displaying in Chrome desktop. The feature was rolled out to Chrome beta in June and will become generally available on September 1. While Google won't block Flash...
  10. Flash zero-day flaw under attack to spread ad malware...

in Windows 10 News
    Flash zero-day flaw under attack to spread ad malware...: Cybercriminals are exploiting a newly discovered flaw in Adobe Flash Player to distribute a botnet and adware, according to security researchers. Adobe is investigating reports that a zero-day flaw in Flash Player is being used by an exploit kit known as Angler. Following...