Windows 10: Flash drive reads/writes at inconsistent speeds

Discus and support Flash drive reads/writes at inconsistent speeds in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I work on a lot of large .rtf files in Office. Sometimes when I click _Save_, the window freezes and gives me a loading wheel for 10 or 15 seconds... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Hchdt, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Hchdt Win User

Flash drive reads/writes at inconsistent speeds

I work on a lot of large .rtf files in Office. Sometimes when I click _Save_, the window freezes and gives me a loading wheel for 10 or 15 seconds before the document finally saved. Sometimes (less often) the file saves almost instantly. It's completely unaffected by how many changes I have made or even how large the document is--when the drive is in 'slow' mode, even a 50kb plain text file will take several seconds to save. It also isn't affected by any running processes that I can see--does the same thing in both Windows 10 and Windows 7 and regardless of what computer I use, etc. This read/write inconsistency also happens while copying/moving files to or from the drive. In 10 where the speed display is more accurate, it speeds up and slows down a lot. It goes as high as about 5mb/s at times, but averages at an absurdly slow speed (something like 1-200kb/s. Please don't tell me 'Flash drives are slow.' They're not that slow.) The speed seems to have no patterns based on the type or size of file currently being copied/moved. Does anybody have any idea why this could be?

:)

Hchdt, Dec 27, 2018
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Slow HDD read and write speeds

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will require a few more information from you to help you further with the issue. Please reply with the following details:

• In which device are you facing this issue?
    • Are you using an external HDD or internal HDD?
    • Are you getting the read and write speed issue on any particular application?

However, you can Disk Defragment on your computer to optimize the drive. To run Disk Defragment please follow the steps from the article

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

Alternatively, you can check for the read and write speed of the HDD in task manager. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check the read and write speed of the hard drive:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Performance tab.
    3. Click on Disk 0.
    4. You will find the Read speed and
      Write speed
      at the bottom of the window.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 27, 2018
  3. inconsistent performance on write/read to USB 3.0 flash drive on Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Same here! Very inconsistent performance copying to USB 3/3.1 flash drive. It's a Kingston device declared as USB3/3.1 compliant. Most of the time it heavily undeperforms. Sometimes it copies at speed above 100MB/s, but rarely, and even then, about 2/3 of
    the file done the speed slows down to 10-15MB/s. The larger the file the slower it works. And the inconsistency is clearly due to Windows not working well, since the flash drive can copy at high speeds. Sometimes reconnecting it improves performance, but it's
    a drag in itself having to pull it out and reinsert it and hope it works better.

What's up with that Microsoft?

Драгутин Митровић, Dec 27, 2018
  4. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Dec 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Flash drive reads/writes at inconsistent speeds - Similar Threads - Flash drive reads

2. USB Flash drive - very slow writes, but read speeds are fine

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Flash drive - very slow writes, but read speeds are fine: Suddenly one of my USB Flash drives has become very slow to write to. I'm seeing 'peak' write speeds measured in KB/sec, not MB/sec. However, there are no write errors, and once written files can be read at normal speeds. All my other USBs work normally, just this one is...
  3. Flash Drive is write protected

in Windows 10 Support
    Flash Drive is write protected: I have a brand new PNY 256gb flash drive. I started to copy files to it and I got the message that it must be formatted before using it. I tried to format it and after a few minutes, I got the following error message: The disk is write protected. I tried SFC/SCAN file and got...
  4. Increase the read / write speed of an external hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Increase the read / write speed of an external hard drive: Hello, I appealed to the Microsoft community to ask for your opinion on increasing the read / write speed of an external hard drive. Thank you! Wait for response! A good day!...
  5. Flash Drive is write protected.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Flash Drive is write protected.: I was copying files to my flash drive sometime ago, the transfer speed was slow, so I tried the most technical solution ever, I unplugged it then plugged it in, then Windows told me that there was a issue with this flash drive and I should click to fix it. I thought this...
  6. inconsistent copy and write speeds

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    inconsistent copy and write speeds: Hey there. I just wanted to Copy an 15GB file from a HDD to my M.2 SSD and noticed that the speed is really inconsistent. Its always switches from 150 MB/s to 5 MB/s Can i do something about it? submitted by /u/Kxnek_ [link] [comments]...
  7. Read and write speed

Read and write speed: Hello and my name is Lorenzo. I have an HDD that has a sequential read of 200mbs and a write of 187. I am getting 2mbs when downloading from steam. My hard drive in the device manager says ST2000dm006-2dm164. Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  8. Slow HDD read and write speeds

in Windows 10 Customization
    Slow HDD read and write speeds: Has MS solved the slow HDD read and write problems on Win 10? Is there an official fix for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-hdd-read-and-write-speeds/ef724e8b-5a8d-46f7-9e41-8073d3692146
  9. write to flash drive

write to flash drive: after recent updates, I can't copy any type of file to any flash drive and there no any error message , I checked to see if I can copy to my phone and it worked but it didn't on flash...
  10. HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds

HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds: I have a TOSHIBA 1TB HDD which is inside a caddy. When I copy a file from the HDD, the copying starts from 20mb/s to 0KB to Calculating and eventually, the explorer crashes. I open Task Manager and the Disk shows at 100%. But when I plug in another 320GB HITACHI drive, the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fix hdd reading speed less then 2mbs

2. flash drive write speed inconsistent

3. slow read and write speed for flash drive