Windows 10: Flash drive security

Discus and support Flash drive security in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; W10, Office 2013. I want to keep a dozen or two private files on a flash drive, protected by a password or encryption, accessing and changing them... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by convul, May 9, 2017.

1. convul Win User

Flash drive security

W10, Office 2013.
    I want to keep a dozen or two private files on a flash drive, protected by a password or encryption, accessing and changing them regularly.
    I already have a simple 16 GB drive so I don't want to have to buy a more expensive one with a ready-installed system, but I will do that if it is the easiest for me.
    I would like to be able to 'replay' this on a W7 pc but that is not essential.
    I am out of my depth and knee-deep in jargon, once again, with the feeling that internet villains are everywhere trying to mislead me, dropping their evil little files in my new pc.
    Advice, please,
    Thanks.

:)

convul, May 9, 2017

2. flash drive

cannot access flash drive and it has no security tab in properties.

BeckyTisdale, May 9, 2017
  3. spud2030# Win User
    Windows 10 won't let me delete files on flash drive

Thank you for your response. I right clicked on the drive, but there is not a security tab on this little flash drive. It's a Sandisk 8gb. I did not have this problem in Windows 7. I could add to or delete with no problem on the flash drive. When I plug
    the flash drive in my husband's computer or in my laptop - you can't even see the flash drive. It doesn't even acknowledge that the drive is plugged into their USB port!

Thanks again,

Spud#2030

spud2030#, May 9, 2017
  4. Flash drive security

I believe free software like TrueCrypt will do this for you. Just keep in mind that flash storage isn't the most reliable, so if these files are important, keep a safe backup of them.

DeaconFrost, May 9, 2017
  5. Anibor Win User
    I use BitLocker. To encrypt the flash drive you need Windows 10 Pro. Not totally sure, but I think that once the drive is encrypted, you can use it on Windows 10 Home and Windows 7.

Anibor, May 9, 2017
  6. convul Win User
    I have just managed to install the inbuilt password protection in a Scandisk memory stick. So, faff over, and a green tick, but many thanks for the advice.

convul, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Flash drive security

1. Flash drive security - Similar Threads - Flash drive security

2. Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Flash Drive: How do you add a flash drive letter like E to the computer? That is all I want to do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/flash-drive/e856be9f-3682-4081-8e09-94ea47fbb1dc
  3. Flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flash drive: How do you make it so when you plug in a flash drive it automatically displays a folder or file on your desktop, that is from the usb drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/flash-drive/999285e6-d24b-4ff5-ac56-0f6f5fdc56b7
  4. Flash drive

Flash drive: How do you make it so when you plug in a flash drive it automatically displays a folder or file on your desktop, that is from the usb drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/flash-drive/999285e6-d24b-4ff5-ac56-0f6f5fdc56b7
  5. Flash Drives

Flash Drives: Whenever I insert a flash drive into the USB port on my HP I get this message: "you don't have permission to access folder." I click continue and it tells me that I have to go to Security Tab. When I click on the security tab button the screen opens up and there is no...
  6. Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Flash Drives: Whenever I insert a flash drive into the USB port on my HP I get this message: "you don't have permission to access folder." I click continue and it tells me that I have to go to Security Tab. When I click on the security tab button the screen opens up and there is no...
  7. Flash drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Flash drives: I download movies and music videos. I copy and paste them into flash drives. All the downloads come from the same source. When I send to the flash drives only some copy. Some don't. What gets copied is an icon that has nothing in it. It does however have the amount of MBs...
  8. Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flash Drive: I received the following message when I inserted my flash drive: "You need to format the disc in drive D: before you can use it." I used this thumb drive all day yesterday, have a ton of working documents on it. If I must format this disc will I lose all my work. I have...
  9. flash drive

flash drive: Hi All, Im new to this site so hope you will bear with me.Im coming up to 75 years this month so please be gentle with me. My problem is trhat I cant see my flash drive G in explorer files. I dropped a clanger by trying to put it on desktop cos i thought it may be quicker....
  10. flash drive

flash drive: New Corsair Cruzer Glide 64gb shows win10 desktop when plugged in but not what to do with it. I would like to clone / image win 10 to this drive , any suggestions? 77720