Windows 10: Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

Discus and support Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 16GB USB Flash Drive I was using for saving "File History" documents, favorites, etc.. It appeared to be working, but later I got a message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rockydean, Apr 8, 2020.

1. rockydean Win User

Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

I have a 16GB USB Flash Drive I was using for saving "File History" documents, favorites, etc.. It appeared to be working, but later I got a message about running out of space on the drive.

I formatted the drive and that appeared to be successful, then tried to use it again to save File History. I don't know if this is related, but I got a message saying File History was disabled. I found a MS post that told how to enable it by downloading Enable_File_History.reg. That appeared to work. Why did File History get disabled ?

Getting back to the current problem: When I tried to start up File History again, I got some error about inserting a drive for File History to use. I did have the Flash Drive inserted. So I tried the format the Flash Drive again:

Got error "please insert a disk into USB DriveE:". This is with the Flash Drive inserted.

I brought up Disk Management to try formatting it there, and the Flash Drive does not even show up.

I then brought up the Command Entry screen and entered:

diskpart followed by, list disk, select disk, clean note that the Flash Drive showed up as disk 1.

This appeared to work ok.

I then tried to look at the Flash Drive again and got the same error as before "please insert a disk into USB DriveE:". It is like Windows knows something about the drive, but does not like it.

Any ideas how to recover the Flash Drive, or should I just throw it away ?

thank you

:)

rockydean, Apr 8, 2020
  2. PhilW Win User

OS doesn't recognize USB flash drives (KB4056892)

Just completed Win10 update KB4056892 on my Sony laptop, now running v.1709, build 16299.125. Almost everything is fine except the system no longer recognizes USB flash drives. When a flash drive (USB2 or 3) is inserted in a port the Device Manager recognizes it as "Other Devices", lists what it is (for example "TOSHIBA TransMemory USB Device") but says under Properties: "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) There are no compatible drivers for this device." When I try to update the driver, the Update Drivers feature says "Windows could not find drivers for your device." Device Manager shows no problems under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

I know the drivers for flash drives are somewhere in the system because I have used these ports and flash drives many times prior to KB4056892, but I don't know where they are or how to tell the OS where they are. Suggestions would be appreciated.

PhilW, Apr 8, 2020
  3. USB flash not being recognized

Even rebooting won't make my Windows 10 Home program recognize a USB flash drive plugged into any port of the computer. I've tried three different flash drives, including two that are new and one that plays in the car. I don't get that musical note that tells me the computer recognizes something that has just been plugged in.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what's going on and how to solve it. Thanks, Larry

larrydonline, Apr 8, 2020
  4. zbook Win User

install.wim is 7GB, how to make a bootable USB flash drive

This is a method to make a ntfs flash drive.

The trial and error step will be booting using Legacy BIOS...

Code:
    This is the link:
    Guide: How to Format USB Flash Drive Using Cmd - EaseUS

The link did not use active so that is why it is a trial and error step.

zbook, Apr 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized - Similar Threads - Flash USB Flash

2. PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive: PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-doesnt-recognize-usb-flash-drive/0a95f9d2-6968-4325-8c66-0e87374ede1e
  3. PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive: PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-doesnt-recognize-usb-flash-drive/0a95f9d2-6968-4325-8c66-0e87374ede1e
  4. flash drive not recognized

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    flash drive not recognized: Drive less month old...would put movie files on it then plug into my tv to stream...one time was transferring data to the drive got this error message in this picture....and other picture drive F.....
  5. USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  6. Flash Drive Not Recognized

Flash Drive Not Recognized: After using my 128-GB Sandisk flash drive to put files back on my Mac, my Windows computer no longer recognizes it, but the Mac can still recognize it and all the data. Formatting it does not solve the problem. Windows does not recognize the drive at all, and I don't even see...
  7. usb flash drive

usb flash drive: I am using windows 10. My usb flash drive does not show in disk manage but only intermittently. Often to make matters worse it freezes my mouse when I have the flash drive plugged in. Also it wont let my computer shut down when the flash drive is plugged in. So far I have...
  8. USB flash drive

USB flash drive: usually, when I insert a cd/dvd in my laptop, it usually asks how I want to use it, and gives 2 options: like a USB flash drive or with CD/DVD drive. I just need to see and read what's in it. which option is appropriate?...
  9. win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive

win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive: why does win10 not recognize my usb flash drive anymore ( I cannot save copied files in my usb portable flash device) ?? thanks R. 10/9/2018 10.20 PM EST...
  10. USB flash not being recognized

USB flash not being recognized: Even rebooting won't make my Windows 10 Home program recognize a USB flash drive plugged into any port of the computer. I've tried three different flash drives, including two that are new and one that plays in the car. I don't get that musical note that tells me the computer...