Windows 10: Flashdrive undetected by Windows after formatting to exfat

Discus and support Flashdrive undetected by Windows after formatting to exfat in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I formatted a flashdrive in a Macbook to exfat. When I plugged it in to my Windows laptop, it was initially working. However, when I was transferring... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kuroneko79, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Flashdrive undetected by Windows after formatting to exfat

I formatted a flashdrive in a Macbook to exfat. When I plugged it in to my Windows laptop, it was initially working. However, when I was transferring the backed up files to the flashdrive, the process stopped and it seems that Windows is not detecting the flashdrive anymore. Update driver is not working, changing usb port is not working, uninstall device>restart pc is not working, chkdsk is not doing anything

Under the Device manager > USB controllers, the one with yellow flag has an error msg saying "Set address failed". When I click Properties > Events, the descriptions says something like "Device was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match"

submitted by /u/kuroneko79
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kuroneko79, Jan 1, 2021

2. Formating to exFAT

Hi Taylor,

If you want to format an external hard drive or USB flash drive in exFAT, you can follow these steps:

• Press and hold Windows key + x on your keyboard. This open the context menu.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type format g: /FS:exFAT and then Enter to begin formatting the G drive as exFAT
    For any query, feel free to reach us.

Marque Lor, Jan 1, 2021
  3. Mike0409 Win User
    exFat

Nothing really. It's just an improvement of FAT32, without the limitations. Its no competitor really. Its great for Flashdrives and Portable drives IMO. But for formats on Desktops/Laptops it's not really worth it.

The only downside is that if you were to link it up to a PS3/Xbox, or certain TV's with USB's it won't read. They don't support the exFat only Fat32.

Mike0409, Jan 1, 2021
  4. Flashdrive undetected by Windows after formatting to exfat

Formating to exFAT

If that's the case, you might need to use a format manager software, but you can try these other steps first.

Kindly follow the instructions below:

• Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.
    • Type devmgmt.msc in the Search textbox beside the Windows icon and press
      Enter.
    • Find Disk Drives and expand it.
    • Find the USB flash drive you want to format, and double-click it. It opens the Properties dialog box.
    • Click Policies tab.
    • By default, the Optimize for quick removal option selected, switch it to
      Optimize for performance and then press OK.
    • Now open Computer. Right click on the USB Flash Drive and select
      Format. The Format dialog box now appears.
    • Select exFAT in the File System field.
    • Press Start and wait while the process is completed.

Let us know how this goes.

Marque Lor, Jan 1, 2021
Thema:

Flashdrive undetected by Windows after formatting to exfat

1. Flashdrive undetected by Windows after formatting to exfat - Similar Threads - Flashdrive undetected formatting

2. usb drive broken after trying to format it as exfat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb drive broken after trying to format it as exfat: I needed my 64gb usb thumb drive at full capacity after using it as windows format drive which made it 32gb drive. Windows showed a window saying format failed while I was waiting it to be in exfat format. I tried to use disk manager and list disk thing but It doesn't show up...
  3. usb drive broken after trying to format it as exfat

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb drive broken after trying to format it as exfat: I needed my 64gb usb thumb drive at full capacity after using it as windows format drive which made it 32gb drive. Windows showed a window saying format failed while I was waiting it to be in exfat format. I tried to use disk manager and list disk thing but It doesn't show up...
  4. Format flash drive exFAT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Format flash drive exFAT: Format flash drive exFAT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-flash-drive-exfat/9b4ae7be-66d8-4279-8e68-fb2d07745b31
  5. Format flash drive exFAT

Format flash drive exFAT: Format flash drive exFAT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-flash-drive-exfat/9b4ae7be-66d8-4279-8e68-fb2d07745b31
  6. Flashdrive

Flashdrive: Lost all text on document, while typing. Unable to reteive from fllash drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/flashdrive/c1ad865e-f6b3-44ae-896e-5ea23b955f9d
  7. Corrupted USB Drive in exFat format

in Windows 10 Customization
    Corrupted USB Drive in exFat format: I was doing a backup of some files from my laptop to my 1TB USB Drive in exFat format.During the file transfer, the progress suddenly stopped and I got the message "The Semaphore Timeout Period Has Expired". The file explorer freezed and I was forced the end the process. Then...
  8. Can I change it to exfat without formatting?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I change it to exfat without formatting?: So I have a 2tb external hard drive. It's formatted in fat 32 but I want it to be exfat. To do so I would have to format it to exfat. But the problem is I have no other hard drive to back up all my flies. So I was wondering if there's a way I can change my hard drive to exfat...
  9. Flashdrive undetected by Windows after formatting to exFAT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flashdrive undetected by Windows after formatting to exFAT: I formatted a flashdrive in a Macbook to exfat. When I plugged it in to my Windows laptop, it was initially working. However, when I was transferring the backed up files to the flashdrive, the process stopped and it seems that Windows is not detecting the flashdrive anymore....
  10. Thunderbay 4 not working for windows 10/macOS after formatting in exfat

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thunderbay 4 not working for windows 10/macOS after formatting in exfat: Trying to have my owc thunderbay 4 be compatible for my Mac laptop and home build pc with windows 10. I want it to show up as one large drive, compatible to read and write to both. Exfat not working, any advice? Thanks! submitted by /u/innawhilecrocodile [link] [comments]...