Windows 10: Flashing taskbar and inoperative desktop. PLEASE HELP

Discus and support Flashing taskbar and inoperative desktop. PLEASE HELP in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hey community, im having to make this from my phone as my computer is completly unusable right now and i need serious help. I bought some new ram today... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Harry Veals, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Flashing taskbar and inoperative desktop. PLEASE HELP

Hey community, im having to make this from my phone as my computer is completly unusable right now and i need serious help. I bought some new ram today 2x16 and when i logged in with the new ram this issue started happening. I have tried running my pc in safe mode with networking and trying to update my Graphics cards but not a lot is working at all. Sometimes a backround will appear for a split second but nothing is happening. Please help!

:)

Harry Veals, Aug 23, 2020
  2. VinceB Win User

Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons are Flashing, Continously

Hi:

I am experiencing blinking/flashing of several icons that are located on my Win10-64 Pro desktop PC's screen, and several icons for programs and for File Manager, that are pinned to within the taskbar. The PC is a DELL XPS 8700 desktop. I think my PC has Windows 10 version 1803 installed on 5/19/2018, and am getting updates automatically from Microsoft.

Observations:

When booting the PC, after the login screen, it is taking an unusual amount of time to load the "image" part of the desktop icons; sometimes, the filenames' text appear first and quickly, and then a delay occurs before the icon images are "painted" onto the monitor's screen. I also noticed that while having File Manager opened, the same file names blink in the directory structure pane, at the far left.
    I have allowed the PC to run overnight, and, upon returning and making use of browser for a period of approximately ten minutes, Windows crashes: the flashing taskbar icons disappear and are replaced with blank, box outlines; there is no response when clicking on a desktop icon or on a pinned taskbar's blank box; this happened several times; I had to reboot PC to regain control of taskbar and desktop icons.

What I have tried thus far and results:

1. I ran the inbuilt DELL diagnostics, and all hardware passed the "thorough" tests.
    2. I followed instructions given in this YouTube video: Windows 10 - How to Fix Screen Flashing and Flickering Issue - YouTube, and by using msconfig, to locate and uncheck the boxes for two services: (1) WindowsErrorReporting and (2) ProblemsReportandSolutions.
    I also uninstalled iCloud, which was suggested in that same YouTube video. But the flashing continues. This was done during Windows normal mode (while icons were blinking).
    I then performed these same steps while in Windows Safe Mode with Networking​; same results: flashing continues. (I struggle each time I atempt to find Windows Safe Mode booting.)

So, it does not appear that the (1) and (2) services nor iCloud are the cause of this problem.

3. I followed instructions given in this YouTube video: Disable Flashing Taskbar buttons or icons on Windows 10 taskbar - YouTube, and using regedit to locate (1) ForegroundFlashCount (set at 7h) and (2) ForegroundLockTimeout (set at 30d40h) and reset each of those to 0 (zero). The result of doing that is no improvement/change in the flashing icons. Have since reset these two services to 7h and 30d40h.

So, it appears that hacking those REG DWORDs has not helped me.

4. I also used Windows Restore to go back to 4 OCT 2018. That has not helped, either.
    5. While running Windows in Normal Mode, I have stopped the Windows Search service using Administrator Tools>Services, but did not help. Have restarted the Windows Search service.
    6. At some point along the line, I ran System File Check routine; found no errors. Ran DMIS(?);found no problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

TNX.

VinceB, Aug 23, 2020
  3. Flashing desktop.

Hi Brain,

We apologize for not being able to address your concern in a timely manner.

I suggest you to uninstall drivers with the exclamation mark in Device Manager and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on Start button and click on Device Manager.
    • Locate the malfunctioning device or device with the exclamation mark in the list of devices, right click on that device, and then click
      Uninstall.
    • Restart the computer.
    • Right-click your computer name in Device Manager and click Scan for hardware changes.
      Device manager scans your system and automatically reinstalls your device.
    Reference: Refer to the following response created by Rohit Chettri on
    Desktop screen flashes on and off.

Desktop screen flashes on and off

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Aug 23, 2020
  4. Flashing taskbar and inoperative desktop. PLEASE HELP

taskbar tranparency

Hi Dan,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. I will surely assist you with this.

I would suggest you to change the desktop themes and check if you are able to see the transparent taskbar.

If that doesn't help I would suggest you to end the explorer.exe and restart it and see if you are able to see the transparent taskbar.

Please follow the steps below to restart explorer.exe:

stop and start Explorer.exe

• Right click on the taskbar and select task manager.

• In the process Right click on windows explorer and end the task

• Restart the task by clicking on the file and select new task

• Type Explorer.exe and press enter.
    And see if it helps.

Do let us know the result. We will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Aug 23, 2020
Thema:

Flashing taskbar and inoperative desktop. PLEASE HELP

1. Flashing taskbar and inoperative desktop. PLEASE HELP - Similar Threads - Flashing taskbar inoperative

2. Black screen and flashing taskbar, Please help (Details in comments)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen and flashing taskbar, Please help (Details in comments): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TanZhiYuan23 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l7bnb8/black_screen_and_flashing_taskbar_please_help/
  3. Black desktop and flashing taskbar after login. Please help

Black desktop and flashing taskbar after login. Please help: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/RRUser [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kb7353/black_desktop_and_flashing_taskbar_after_login/
  4. Windows goes to black screen and flashing taskbar after login. Please help

Windows goes to black screen and flashing taskbar after login. Please help: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ihatepigmen [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jdhefy/windows_goes_to_black_screen_and_flashing_taskbar/
  5. Desktop icons and taskbar flashing/blinking

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons and taskbar flashing/blinking: Icons on desktop have become enlarged and they flash periodically along with the taskbar. I'm not able to open the start menu at all. In safe mode it doesn't flash but the warning "The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application..." keeps popping...
  6. ISO Help With Flashing Taskbar Icons

ISO Help With Flashing Taskbar Icons: [ATTACH] So at work, we use teams for communication. I am a part of many group chats and therefore get a lot of notifications from it. My problem is that every time I get a notification (often unrelated to me) my hidden taskbar pops up and does not go away again until...
  7. Flashing taskbar grey desktop background

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Flashing taskbar grey desktop background: I had a temp account i got logged into after a bsod so i found a tutorial that said delete the temp account file and change the bak at the end of my user to nothing and then log back in but now it it gives me a grey background with a flashing taskbar. Any help? Thanks...
  8. Help me please! How to DELETE an ICON on DESKTOP, not taskbar.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help me please! How to DELETE an ICON on DESKTOP, not taskbar.: I used to be able to right click on the desktop icon and get the option to 'delete'. I no longer have that, when I right click now on a frozen icon I get the options: View, Sort by, Refresh, Paste, 'Intel Graphics settings', New, Display settings, and Personalized. I have...
  9. Taskbar and Desktop Flashing After Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar and Desktop Flashing After Upgrade: I just updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7, and now my computer starts flashing out of no where. The taskbar and the desktop starts flashing. When this happens I can not do anything. When it stops, I can not use the start button. I do not know what to do. *Sad 10876
  10. Upgrade and now flashing desktop/taskbar

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade and now flashing desktop/taskbar: I've seen lots of people posting about this all over the internet but as of yet not found a clear fix to my problem. I registered for the upgrade a while ago and the 'check' said that my system was fine. It's a HP TouchSmart 520 and is 2 to 3 years old. Today I got the...