Windows 10: Flashing underscore on boot

Discus and support Flashing underscore on boot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I've recently had some problems on rootkits,bootkits,malware,etc. Some weird stuff was happening, so I took my laptop to micro center for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dannazarov, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Flashing underscore on boot

So I've recently had some problems on rootkits,bootkits,malware,etc.

Some weird stuff was happening, so I took my laptop to micro center for a diagnostic. the results came back, and apparently the "hard drive failed".

I bought a new nvme m.2 1 tb ssd and replaced the old one, booted it up, and installed windows.

Whenever I boot up happened before the switch too, I see the Lenovo splash screen, press enter to interrupt normal startup, and then there is a big black box covering the entire screen, with an underscore flashing in the top left, about two flashes later we boot into windows.

From what I've heard it's windows searching for a boot device, but it can't find a bootable device so it goes into this until it can.

I checked my boot priority, it was Windows boot manager > windows CD > windows FDD > My SSD.

even after I changed the boot priority to Windows boot manager > My SSD, it still happened.

What would be the cause of this, because I just installed a brand new hard drive?

What I'm thinking is I'm going to run some diagnostics and get all MoBo drivers, and all other drivers.

Will that fix it?

if not, what should I do?

Thanks!

Edit: Ran diagnostics, installed all drivers, everything, still happening.

:)

dannazarov, Apr 5, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Blank screen with flashing underscore

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate the efforts taken by you in resolving the issue. I understand that you get a black screen with flashing underscore. I’ll certainly assist you with the issue.

However, please let us know the make and model number of the computer that you are using.

As you have already tried changing the Boot order, I would suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned below and see if that helps.

Method 1: Rebuild BCD

You may want to try rebuilding the BCD file and see if that helps. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the
      media.
    2. On the initial setup screen, select the language and other
      preferences and click on Next. (If you don't see the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.)
    3. Now, click on Repair your computer.
    4. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot> Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    5. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    6. Restart the PC.

Method 2: Startup Repair

If Rebuilding BCD doesn’t help, we can perform a Startup Repair on the computer and check. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Boot the PC using the bootable media.
    2. On the initial setup screen, select the language and other
      preferences and click on Next. (If you don't see the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.)
    3. Now, click on Repair your computer.
    4. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot> Advanced options > Startup Repair.
    5. Restart the PC.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 5, 2021
  3. Ringbeep2 Win User
    Underscore problems on the E63

Thanks for that suggestion. Yes I have tried that and it

OK. It seems like I need to do a step by step:

Menu > Installations > Messenger > Open Messenger try to type in my domain name which includes an underscore that I am unable to type. I've tried pressing the Ctrl, Chr, button with the grey and white triangle, with the 'K' which has a dash, and by pressing
    them on there own. Nothing.

Ringbeep2, Apr 5, 2021
  4. jollinski Win User

Flashing underscore on boot

PC not booting. Only displaying underscore

Hi. I have recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my Desktop PC.

The PC is not booting to windows. Instead it displays a solid underscore in the top left corner of the screen and does nothing. No opportunity to enter BIOS, even. Nothing except the underscore.

If I turn the PC off at the mains and leave it for 30 seconds or so the PC will then boot to Windows fine, so I wonder if there is something stored in non volatile memory somewhere that is causing a problem. I can't think what it might be though.

The problem started when I reinstalled Windows. The first time I had to cancel the installation and when the computer rebooted, the underscore appeared. I managed to get Windows installed by powering down at the mains and assumed that the problem would correct
    itself after formatting my C drive. But it hasn't. It currently happens after every time I restart the PC.

Does anybody have any suggestions to what the problem might be?

Thanks for reading

jollinski, Apr 5, 2021
Thema:

Flashing underscore on boot

1. Flashing underscore on boot - Similar Threads - Flashing underscore boot

2. Underscores and won't boot to windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Underscores and won't boot to windows: Hi, so I'm gonna start from the first problem i had to the current.So I'm having this pc Motherboard asus h81-m with uefiCpu core i3 4160 Gpu AMD Radeon 5870 HDRam 8gb 1600So i was upgrading my gpu driver but there was only two drivers i could only use.One amd catalyst...
  3. Underscores and won't boot to windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Underscores and won't boot to windows: Hi, so I'm gonna start from the first problem i had to the current.So I'm having this pc Motherboard asus h81-m with uefiCpu core i3 4160 Gpu AMD Radeon 5870 HDRam 8gb 1600So i was upgrading my gpu driver but there was only two drivers i could only use.One amd catalyst...
  4. Underscores and won't boot to windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Dell boot device options screen only flashing underscore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell boot device options screen only flashing underscore: So I was trying to boot off of my usb to run Ubuntu off of it, but I pressed F12 and there was only a flashing underscore on the top left hand corner of the screen. I waited for a few minutes and nothing appeared. Please help!...
  6. Dell boot device options screen only flashing underscore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dell boot device options screen only flashing underscore: So I was trying to boot off of my usb to run Ubuntu off of it, but I pressed F12 and there was only a flashing underscore on the top left hand corner of the screen. I waited for a few minutes and nothing appeared. Please help!...
  7. Black screen with flashing underscore Windows 10

Black screen with flashing underscore Windows 10: I started having this problem a few days ago, during a windows update my PC restarted and when I tried to turn it back on I was met with a black screen with a blinking underscore on the top left of the screen. I tried to reboot in safe mode multiple times but I got the same...
  8. Black screen and flashing underscore when I boot from USB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen and flashing underscore when I boot from USB: Title says it all. Using the latest ISO downloaded from the Microsoft website. submitted by /u/theDoomguy2011 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/im52uf/black_screen_and_flashing_underscore_when_i_boot/
  9. PC not booting underscore appearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    PC not booting underscore appearing: Hey there My motherboard model is Zeb g41 and it has ami bios in.My First question is how to convert it into uefi from legacy. And second question is I had changed my hard disk from mbr to gpt. After that pc isn't booting under score sign is appearing. Anyone can help me...
  10. Blank screen with flashing underscore

Blank screen with flashing underscore: Had this laptop since 2012. Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 back when it was free in 2016. My laptop sat with a dead battery for some time and recently I tried to start it and a message "Boot from AHCI CD-ROM:". I am not a techy guy so I followed some online advice and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new pc swapped hard drive flashing underscore

2. fix blinking underscore on boot windows 10