Windows 10: Flat files from a long list of folders

Discus and support Flat files from a long list of folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I downloaded my photos from google photos to use in a display frame. The frame expects a flat list of files with no directory structure. The archive I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by capecuddy, Oct 5, 2019.

1. capecuddy Win User

Flat files from a long list of folders

I downloaded my photos from google photos to use in a display frame. The frame expects a flat list of files with no directory structure.

The archive I got from google has a zillion folders with a few files in each.

How can I convert a directory full of folders into a flat listing of all the files in them?

:)

capecuddy, Oct 5, 2019
  2. regan1985 Win User

making file lists

ok i have tried it and i got it to work thanks

but my next problem is it only lists the folders not the files??

regan1985, Oct 5, 2019
  3. dark2099 Win User
    Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Oct 5, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

Make list of files in a folder

My impression is that what he wants is a list he can click on. To me that suggests creating one folder with shortcuts to the items in the various media folders.

And perhaps Motim wants that to be a dynamic list- i.e. always up to date with respect to changing content in those folders.

If so, this could be done using Autohotkey, with a script which scans through the files in each folder in turn and for each file use this command to create a shortcut:

Flat files from a long list of folders [​IMG]

Motim?

dalchina, Oct 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Flat files from a long list of folders - Similar Threads - Flat files long

2. GMAIL folders missing from Windows Mail list of folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GMAIL folders missing from Windows Mail list of folders: This issue seems to have been going on for years. I've seen lots of posts on different sites but there does not seem to have been any resolution. Essentially, when adding a Gmail account to Windows Mail, not all of the Gmail folders appear, specifically, the Sent folder....
  3. Print list of files in folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Print list of files in folder: I want to print list of files in a Windows10 Folder. Instructions from 2015 post in MS Community are as follows: Open a command prompt. Navigate to the folder using the command "cd". Type dir>file.txt where "file.txt" is a name you want to call the file. When I...
  4. no flat view in file manager

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    no flat view in file manager: Just wondering why there is no flat view (showing all subfolders and files within a folder) in Windows file manager even after so many years? The program Directory Opus has this option. Neal...
  5. Program Files folders not listed in Dir

in Windows 10 Support
    Program Files folders not listed in Dir: I cannot "CD\Window\Program Files" from a administrator command prompt and if I do a "Dir", "Programs Files" and "Program Files (86)" are not listed. I have a folder that I want to change the attributes on and can't do it because I don't have access to the parent folder....
  6. Password Manager list is so long

in Windows 10 Customization
    Password Manager list is so long: How do you sort entries in web credential manager? Mine is so long, it is nearly impossible to find a password when I look for it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/password-manager-list-is-so-long/3526f728-1d35-4e09-8388-24119e23dca1
  7. How Do I select multiple files in a folder from a list of file names

in Windows 10 Support
    How Do I select multiple files in a folder from a list of file names: HI, I have a folder containing 9,987 .jpg's of which I need to copy about 500 of to a different folder. I have the file names in a .txt file on separate lines as well as in a .csv worksheet. I don't want to find them individually to select/copy them. Also, I'm only a little...
  8. Saving a file to a folder listed in "Quick Access"

in Windows 10 Support
    Saving a file to a folder listed in "Quick Access": When I download a pdf file (A billing statement in this case), I would like to select "Save As" and be able to select the folder directly from one of the folders shown in Quick Access that is shown in File Explorer without having to rummage through all the folders on my three...
  9. Make list of files in a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Make list of files in a folder: Hello,I have several hundreds video clips (mp4), arranged in several folders.Wanted to make a list of them, not to print, just a list in the computer.On some site I found this: To write in the address line of the browser the full path to thatfolder and Enter, the list was...
  10. Jump list not showing full filename if pointer is hovering long files?

in Windows 10 Support
    Jump list not showing full filename if pointer is hovering long files?: Hi As title really - can anyone help please? Thanks 76817