Windows 10: Flaws in self-encrypting SSDs let attackers bypass disk encryption

Discus and support Flaws in self-encrypting SSDs let attackers bypass disk encryption in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Researchers at Radboud University in the Netherlands have revealed today vulnerabilities in some solid-state drives (SSDs) that allow an attacker to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Flaws in self-encrypting SSDs let attackers bypass disk encryption

Read more: Flaws in self-encrypting SSDs let attackers bypass disk encryption | ZDNet

:)

Brink, Nov 5, 2018
  2. tamo Win User
    tamo, Nov 5, 2018
  3. modder Win User
    Software encryption

read this:
    The Encrypting File System (EFS) is a file system driver with filesystem-level encryption available in Microsoft Windows (2000 and later) operating systems, except Windows XP Home Edition, Windows Vista Basic, and Windows Vista Home Premium. The technology transparently allows files to be encrypted on NTFS file systems to protect confidential data from attackers with physical access to the computer.

User authentication and access control lists can protect files from unauthorized access while the operating system is running, but are easily circumvented if an attacker gains physical access to the computer. One solution is to store the files encrypted on the disks of the computer. EFS does this using public key cryptography, and aims to ensure that decrypting the files is in theory impossible without the correct key. However, EFS is in practice susceptible to brute-force attacks against the user account passwords. In other words, encryption of files is only as strong as the password to unlock the decryption key.

read more ...wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encrypting_File_System

modder, Nov 5, 2018
  4. D_o_S Win User

Samsung, Dell Provide Data Encryption for SSDs

Samsung Electronics on Thursday said it is boosting security on solid-state drives by bundling data encryption software from Wave Systems' Embassy with drives from 64GB to 256GB.

The drives with encryption software will be available from PC makers, Samsung said in a statement. Coinciding with Samsung's announcement, Dell said it would offer the self-encrypting SSDs with its Latitude line of laptops in the upcoming months.

Full-disk encryption is already available for hard drives, but this is the first time it is available for SSDs, Samsung said. The software automatically encrypts information as data is stored on the SSDs. Additionally, the company claims that SSD performance is not affected by encryption because the drive has no moving parts.

Source: PCWorld

D_o_S, Nov 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Flaws in self-encrypting SSDs let attackers bypass disk encryption - Similar Threads - Flaws self encrypting

2. home disk encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    home disk encryption: Hi I need help with home disk encryption on my computer need to be install it soon. Could you please contact me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/home-disk-encryption/827e470b-54ca-4af6-b97f-b96c07888d85
  3. home disk encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    home disk encryption: Hi I need help with home disk encryption on my computer need to be install it soon. Could you please contact me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/home-disk-encryption/827e470b-54ca-4af6-b97f-b96c07888d85
  4. Ransomeware Attack - Encrypted Files with J18U7 Extension

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ransomeware Attack - Encrypted Files with J18U7 Extension: We were told the offending file doing the encrypting is "xxx.exe." I have had some issues with my new laptop ever since I got it about 3 weeks ago. I found some files with the J18U7 extension and have shut the thing down. I have an external drive that MIGHT have traces of...
  5. Mandatory access control for self encrypting disk partitions LUNs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mandatory access control for self encrypting disk partitions LUNs: I want to use a self encrypting disk on windows with at least one encrypting partition. I want to restrict access to the encrypted partition to a single service account. I think that the partitioning should be pretty automatic with the windows disk management tool but I am...
  6. Can bitlocker encrypted on it self!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can bitlocker encrypted on it self!: Hi. I have SSD drive that encrypted on it self without permission! , By mistake i disabled the secure boot on the BIOS then the device require the recovery key !!! But how is that i don't even set up the bitlocker! Thanks...
  7. disk encryption

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    disk encryption: i have encrypted my usb drive using bitlocker. but it wont open using the password and the recovery key. how can i decrypt it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-encryption/f881c6c3-b809-4c51-ac4b-d3ec9d79fcce
  8. Microsoft Security Advisory for self-encrypting drives

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Security Advisory for self-encrypting drives: Microsoft published the security advisory ADV180028, Guidance for configuring BitLocker to enforce software encryption, yesterday. The advisory is a response to the research paper Self-encrypting deception: weaknesses in the encryption of solid state drives (SSDs) by the...
  9. GandCrab Ransomware Attack .EUGHNI encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    GandCrab Ransomware Attack .EUGHNI encryption: Hi, All files encrypted with .EUGHNI ext. Contacted Microsoft, they said cannot help. Ransom note .txt in every folder. Please help somebody. Anybody......
  10. Micron_1100_mtfddav256tbn ssd self encryption or not

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Micron_1100_mtfddav256tbn ssd self encryption or not: Hi , ive been searching for information on whether this drive is SED . I bought the ASUS Zenbook UX310UA which has a 256 GB micron SSD (MICRON_1100_MTFDDAV256TBN) As far as I can see this drive is self encrypting but how do I know . I have downloaded micron ssd software...