Windows 10: Flickering and blinking laptop screen

Discus and support Flickering and blinking laptop screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm using a laptop with Windows 10 and an Intel HD Graphics 4600 display adaptor. A few days ago I attached a Dell D3000 dock to my laptop, and almost... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by barndoor, Mar 18, 2017.

1. barndoor Win User

Flickering and blinking laptop screen

I'm using a laptop with Windows 10 and an Intel HD Graphics 4600 display adaptor. A few days ago I attached a Dell D3000 dock to my laptop, and almost immediately my laptop screen started to flicker and repeatedly blink off and on again. I disconnected the dock, which did not resolve the problem, and since then I've tried various techniques to fix the problem, but none of them have worked. In order, this comprised of:

• attempting system restore - but all five restore points were corrupted (?!);
    • updating the driver for the Intel display adaptor;
    • rolling back the driver for the Intel display adaptor;
    • uninstalling the driver for the Intel display adaptor;
    • downloading Windows 10 from the Microsoft site and re-installing it.
    The problem has persisted even when I disconnected everything from my laptop, took it to my workplace, and switched it on there (using its battery for power); so the following possible reasons can be ruled out: its location in my house, any attached peripherals, a faulty power cable.

I am certain the problem is in some way connected to the Intel HD Graphics 4600 display adaptor:
    • after I completely uninstalled it - which reverted the graphics card to the standard Microsoft one - the screen didn't flicker or blink once afterwards (I left the laptop switched on for about an hour without incident, whereas previously I would experience as many as ten 'events' a minute). This rules out a possible damaged connection between the body of the laptop and its screen. However, when Windows auto-installs updates it reinstates the Intel one...
    • ...and when the laptop is switched on the screen flickers and repeatedly blinks off and on again...
    • ...although, strangely, connecting an external monitor to the laptop (HDMI to HDMI) results in neither the laptop screen nor the external monitor flickering or blinking. The problem returns when I disconnect the HDMI cable from the HDMI port on the laptop.
    I now have the inescapable feeling that when I attached the dock I somehow fried the Intel display adaptor, and it isn't possible to fix it: I have read in the forums that replacing the graphics card on a laptop is well-nigh impossible. But if anyone else can suggest an approach I haven't yet tried I'd be very receptive!

As an aside, I contacted the retailer and they have sent me all of the drivers that are available for my system, but I don't know how to install them.

:)

barndoor, Mar 18, 2017

2. when upgraded to Windows 10 from windows 8.1 Screen Flickering/ blinking..

when upgraded to Windows 10 from windows 8.1 Screen Flickering/ blinking..

iam using samsung laptop

S Rao lavu, Mar 18, 2017
  3. Windows Screen flickering or Blinking

I don't know what happened my laptop screen is flickering continuously. Can anyone help in solving in this. It will flicker or blink for a while and it stops again after a time the same thing happens.

Hemanth Reddy, Mar 18, 2017
  4. Flickering and blinking laptop screen

Hi barndoor. Welcome to the TenForums @barndoor

I think I would start with unplugging, removing battery, holding power switch down for 25 seconds, let sit for five minutes. The goal is to reset everything. This can work for a lot of issues.

Reassemble, disconnecting any USB devices and booting. If problem persists I would move on to BIOS.

Plenty of BIOS's have a "Load Defaults" or something to that effect. My preference would be to remove the CMOS battery (or like device) although I can't find manual to say how involved that would be.

Not sure if you customized anything in BIOS or if your vendor did, so before I did either I would document current settings. A lot of devices run on defaults but you want to know how to get back to where you were.

As a safety step I would also have my data securely backed up. Likely won't need but you never know.

As a plan B (really a plan A) for restore points please check out Macrium Reflect. Free, reliable and recommended. There is a tutorial within forum.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 18, 2017
  5. barndoor Win User
    Thanks for taking the time to post a response to my query, Ken. I received a response from the retailer, who advised me that as I had tried everything - even to the level of reinstalling the OS - they feel there is nothing that can be done, and that it is more than likely a hardware issue. Kind of what I didn't want to read, but there you go.

I've had a look at Macrium Reflect, looks promising - good recommendation.

bd

barndoor, Mar 19, 2017
  6. barndoor Win User
    I hadn't, as I inititially thought it would be a bit beyond my skillset.

But then I found 3 Ways to Reset Your BIOS - wikiHow, and it looks fairly straightforward. When I bought my laptop its OS was Windows 8.1, would it revert it to that, though?

barndoor, Mar 19, 2017
  7. Nope. If you are in your BIOS it won't resurrect 8.x

Some machines have a factory recovery partition which in your case may still contain 8.x. That you invoke differently from entering BIOS.

The BIOS loads before OS.

I would document current settings.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 19, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

Did you follow Dell's instructions? Dell D3000 USB 3.0 Dock Installation Guide | Dell US Also the unit can be incompatible with your laptop and has nothing to do with Windows. The other is what you have the graphics settings set at that may be causing the problems with the monitor, along with not enough voltage for that hub. Wireless and USB dock troubleshooting (Dell D3000, Dell 5000 and Targus USB Docks) | Dell US

It has a known issue with Display Link, which a lot of laptops are incompatible with.

bro67, Mar 20, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    I am going with not enough power with the USB for that device is why they are getting those issues. It requires the power adapter plugged in. Also with some off brand laptops, they do not handle video through USB too well. It is also manufactured by Targus, just branded with Dell's name. Targus products have been going downhill for quite some time now. Not like they were when Targus actually cared about the product that consumers were buying.

bro67, Mar 20, 2017
  10. Im going to go with some sort of hardware failure. The fact that the issue persisted after not only reinstalling drivers but after reinstalling Windows as well is pretty telling. That, on top of the fact that the issue seems to come back when the drivers are reinstalled. Without the drivers the issue doesnt show up because the hardware is only working at a basic level. With the drivers, all the features and power of the hardware become available so the issues with then show up.

Fixing the graphics hardware in that laptop would be next to impossible. The Intel HD Graphics are integrated right into the CPU so it would take a replacement of that CPU to do it. How old is the laptop? Is it still under warranty?

ArazelEternal, Mar 20, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    The hardware failure is using an incompatible device not their computer. If the computer is not working right and does not use DisplayLink, they need to stop using that hub. There really is no need for it if all that they want to do is expand USB ports. If they only have USB 2.0, it will not work with that hub, since it is doing Ethernet, Display, USB, Supplying power.

bro67, Mar 20, 2017
  12. The issue is he used it, it caused an error and since he has disconnected it the laptop still displays this flashing. He even went as far as relocating to office to prove it was not the environment in home.

Caledon Ken, Mar 20, 2017
  13. barndoor Win User

Thank you bro67 and ArazelEternal for your input.

At Caledon Ken's suggestion I reset the BIOS (or at least, I think I did - I'm relying very heavily on sites such as pcadvisor and techradar to guide me through a process that is light years ahead of my comprehension). The fun really started after I inserted my USB on which I had carefully created an install disk containing Windows 10 ISO: I encountered a message reading, 'windows cannot be installed on drive 0 partition 4'; a quick Google search brought me to this page https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/...irmware%20mode, and following its advice I've deleted all the partitions. I suppose I'll have to re-create a couple of partitions down the line, but that seems to be fairly straightforward by comparison.

Anyway, Windows 10 has now completed its update process, and the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter which didn't flicker has been superseded by the Intel HD Graphics 4600...and the screen has begun to flicker and blink again. So I'm back to square one.

It's been an interesting process, but one which will ultimately lead me to the laptop repair shop to see if they can do anything to remedy it.

barndoor, Mar 21, 2017
  14. Sorry to hear it was a no go. Please post back results from shop. Would be interested in what they recommend / do.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 21, 2017
  15. barndoor Win User
    An interesting and exciting update!

I switched my laptop on about an hour ago and not once has it flickered or blinked! (I'm keeping a lot of fingers crossed here.) I'm attributing this to Caledon Ken's advice to reset the BOIS; something I hadn't considered, but it seems to have worked - thank you Caledon Ken.

One thing I have noticed is that when I switch my laptop on now I see two options on screen - f2 to Boot and f7 for Setup - something I haven't seen before, but then after a few seconds I see the welcome sight of the angled blue squares that make up the Windows 10 icon. Should I be worried? How do I revert it to normal (ie straight to the Windows 10 icon)?

barndoor, Mar 22, 2017
Thema:

1. Flickering and blinking laptop screen - Similar Threads - Flickering blinking laptop

2. Screen Flickering/Blinking issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Flickering/Blinking issue: Hello,Screen Flickering issue with graphics drivers.First I have disable Intel graphics card after pc restart the issue remains same.Second I have enabled Intel graphics card and disabled nvidia graphics card after pc restart there is no flickering or blinking issue.Here what...
  3. Screen Flickering/Blinking issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen Flickering/Blinking issue: Hello,Screen Flickering issue with graphics drivers.First I have disable Intel graphics card after pc restart the issue remains same.Second I have enabled Intel graphics card and disabled nvidia graphics card after pc restart there is no flickering or blinking issue.Here what...
  4. Screen Flickering/Blinking issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Screen flickering/blinking issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen flickering/blinking issue: I'm using Hp-15da1006ne with windows 10 Home version.Screen gets flickered/blink state immediate after windows start.After normal using sometimes it blinks and stops again and again which is very annoying.I have tried deleting the two graphics devics Intel and nvidia but even...
  6. Screen flickering/blinking issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen flickering/blinking issue: I'm using Hp-15da1006ne with windows 10 Home version.Screen gets flickered/blink state immediate after windows start.After normal using sometimes it blinks and stops again and again which is very annoying.I have tried deleting the two graphics devics Intel and nvidia but even...
  7. Screen flickering/blinking issue

8. Screen flicker/blink when background change.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen flicker/blink when background change.: Something weird start to happen on my pc, every time my sideshow background change, my browser flicker / blink, Video https://streamable.com/c896i (last clip slowmo) GIF- https://i.imgur.com/rsFe1T7.gifv Any solutions ? I7 6900K GTX 1060 16Gb Ram. Driver Up to date....
  9. flickering and blinking

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    flickering and blinking: my screen flickers and blinks for a while when I go to a new site. Does this indicate the presence of a virus? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/flickering-and-blinking/6284db35-060d-442f-b0af-a97818fca5ba
  10. Screen Flickering & Blinking issue

Screen Flickering & Blinking issue: Few months ago i tried to install Linux (Ubuntu) in my HP Notebook. After installing, the screen starts flickering & blinking. Couldn't solve it. So i get back to windows but facing the same issue here in windows also. I have two graphics card. One is Intel HD graphics 620 &...